PDA

View Full Version : Bfg 7900gt

NeMeSis78
03-15-06, 07:55 PM
Has anyone successfully OC'd a BFG 7900GT to eVGA Superclocked or GTX speeds? I'm trying to decide which 7900GT to get and at the moment I'm leaning towards eVGA but I'm curious about BFG's capabilities. Comments?

Epyx
03-15-06, 10:13 PM
My friend can comfortably get his two BFG 7900s to 550/1550. Beyond that he gets artifacting. This is the same limit as the EVGA/XFX overclocked units so probably near their stock cooling limit.

NeMeSis78
03-15-06, 10:34 PM
What I find interesting is that eVGA prices there Superclocked version at the same cost as BFG's barely OC'd card. What gives? Who makes the better product?

Epyx
03-16-06, 12:16 AM
I think EVGA has the better value but I think architecturally they are almost identical and thus the good overclocking of the BFG to the EVGA levels. Likewise the XFX and EVGA "superclocked" cards don't seem to clock much higher than they arrive at.

tieros
03-16-06, 12:49 AM
The EVGA Superclocked RAM is 1580. I got it to 1640 for one run through AM3, but now everything is back to the defaults.

loafer87gt
03-16-06, 12:50 AM
I had to run my last BFG card at 30 below its stock core clock so I wouldn't ever expect to get any sort of overclock with any of their products.

I don't see why one would bother with BFG when other companies such as Evga or XFX offer superior products and actual customer service.

NeMeSis78
03-16-06, 06:21 PM
Ok, you guys have convinced me. eVGA it is! I still can't figure out how BFG can sell their cards for the same price as eVGA's or XFX's faster cards? Anyways, thanx guys.

DarkOneX
03-16-06, 07:16 PM
I had to run my last BFG card at 30 below its stock core clock so I wouldn't ever expect to get any sort of overclock with any of their products.

I don't see why one would bother with BFG when other companies such as Evga or XFX offer superior products and actual customer service.

LOL same thing here. My BFG 7800GTX OC I had to downclock the core by 30Mhz and the mem by 10Mhz to stop artifacting. Glad I went eVGA this time (although I did hafta downclock my core by 10Mhz to stop artifacting) but I can overclock my mem 40Mhz so that makes up for it.

Medion
03-16-06, 08:16 PM
BFG:
+True Liftime Warranty (warranty expires when YOU expire)
-No warranty bonuses beyond that (see the two below)

XFX:
+Warranty is transferable to a 2nd person if you resell the card.
-"Limited" Lifetime warranty, which means it expires when they stop selling the card.
-Known for not honoring warranties when whole lots are defective (7800GT-E7 model comes to mind)

EVGA:
+Warranty covers manual overclocking. You fry it, they replace it.
+Warranty covers the use of aftermarket coolers, just reattach the original if you RMA it.
+90-day step-up program
-"Limited" Lifetime warranty, which means it expires when they stop selling the card.

Go with what works best for you. I was going to get the XFX 7800GT (E7 model), but then saw the responses at numerous etailers and at their own site. I went with EVGA for the step-up, but since I don't OC, I'd go with BFG for their warranty if I hadn't planned to use the step-up.

eva2000
03-16-06, 08:37 PM
may have no relevance to US folks, but XFX lifetime warranty only applies to North America/USA as Europe, Asia and Australia only get 2yrs warranty and no double lifetime warranty for XFX cards

Richteralan
03-16-06, 09:15 PM
I got a BFG 7900GT.
So far so good!
Nice OC, can go 550/1632

Lfctony
03-17-06, 01:32 AM
IIRC, eVGA also offers true lifetime warranty, ie, for as long as you own your card. This is a press announcement from last year:

http://www.evga.com/about/pressrelease/20050801-2.asp

Vengeance
03-17-06, 01:48 AM
My BFG 7900GT is running stable at 520 core and 720 on the memory. They both go higher (memory a lot higher) but I don't have the balls for it. :p

Epyx
03-17-06, 10:54 AM
So I went back with my two bad RMA'd cards to the one of the stores I bought them from. This time I asked to see the cards before bringing them home (smart move). They had 3 in stock and sure enough the first one they showed me you could see the bottom capacitor lifted off the board. The other two were fine however and I finally have the SLI rig configured.

I talked about it with a friend and the Sales guy and we think it occurs during the packaging process. Either at the start or end of the packaging runs the machine gets sloppy and when the top plastic cover swings over it sometimes knocks the capacitor...nudging it or completely lopping it off.

BFG....get your QA together and address this quickly...while I now have my SLI rig up and running with two good BFG cards I am concerned that there are going to be a lot of users out there with capacitors that look like they are on but are actually semi detached. Over time who knows what this lack of voltage regulation will do to their boards?