PDA

View Full Version : PSP a giant joke

Pages : [1] 2 3

oldsk00l
03-16-06, 01:37 AM
Ok I just wanted to get a point across that the PSP blows...without referring to a thread about how it's such pwnage. This is a PSP suxX0rz thread and that's that.

HALF of the entire PSP game library blows, and the fact that it's turned to as a platform for EMULATING OLD CRAP is just proof of how lacking it is in its software.

The games are OVERPRICED, $40-$50 for a PORTABLE GAME that is developmentally at the detail level of Dreamcast games is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE.

UMD movies for this thing being priced where they are is also ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS AND RETARDED.

The wi-fi on these things is HORRIBLE, and the browser SUCKS. Sony has no keyboard input, making any kind of online input EXCRUCIATING.

That, and they have the same computing power (actually....HIGHER geometric rendering power...) as/than a PS2. It doesn't have a PS2's fill rate, but raw processor speed for the other aspects actually EXCEED PS2's capabilities.

WHY DO THE GAMES LOOK LIKE CRAP??!?! I'm sorry, but if pursuit force is Sony's best push on the system visually...that's a joke next to say...God of War??

Speaking of, where are games like God of War for this system? Where's the uber cool stuff? I haven't seen a platform defining game for the PSP, and the closest game to that is Liberty City but oh...that's just too bad that's something PORTED to the PSP.

The price drop to $199 is also just as idiotic. That's like "here take this pittance". The PSP should be priced at about $140...not $200 and certainly it should have never debuted at $250. I understand the hardware costs, etc...however the VALUE of the platform is crap. Now, if Sony had opened things up and encouraged homebrew...I'd have happily paid $300 for it.

However, Sony turned around and said **** you pirates, and tried to continually lock the system down and force us to wait for their moribund barely passable garbage that makes up around %70 of the games library.

If by some slight chance of cosmic mystery, some Sony rep reads this, please let me know how to get a refund even though I bought my system a year ago. I feel like you guys really burned me.

Mr. Hunt
03-16-06, 01:50 AM
Hey, dip****... you DO realize this is a HANDHELD right?

LiquidX
03-16-06, 02:06 AM
I agree with some of what you say especially when it comes to the movies and believe it or not I like watching them on it but I cant see myself buying any of those over priced no extras at all UMD's. If those things were priced at $9.99 I would probably buy them over a DVD as I am not into extras. Emulation is its saving grace although some great games have been coming out lately. Being a old school gamer though I have soft spot for the PSP and its a dream system for me because it emulates past systems perfectly and the controlls are perfect for them. If your not into emulation I wouldnt recommend it but if you are NOTHING beats it.

msxyz
03-16-06, 02:29 AM
Well, looking at the software attack rate it's safe to assume most of the people buy the PSP to be used as a portable media player.

I know three people at work who never owned a handheld that own a PSP just because its cool design and because they can listen music or watch videos.

I don't think Sony it's particulary happy about this, they do profit from UMD and videogames sales (as well as from overpriced memory modules) but if people upload their own music and videos they get nothing.

oldsk00l
03-16-06, 06:51 AM
Hey, dip****... you DO realize this is a HANDHELD right?

Hey dumbass, you DO realize that this handheld sucks ass because of the aforementioned right? Weak software titles, reliance on emulation (although unsupported and despised by Sony), awesome but completely non-exploited hardware capability, and over priced media....but I guess what I wrote was a bit complex for you????

Anyhow...

in response to the other two posts

I would concur, and it would make a good portable media system if Sony wasn't trying to subsidize the cost of the hardware across the games and movies.

It just needs to be cheaper, and for what we pay for the movies it's a complete and total ripoff.

My other point is, if Sony would increase the hardware price but open up the platform I think it'd be worth it. I'd pay for it, for people to have access to dev tools, be able to write native homebrew stuff and to be able to develop our own browser and then to have some real peripherals for this thing.

Then it would be busily kicking the PDA market in the groin. But no, Sony has not been making smart choices lately.

I don't expect them to start now. This is why the PS3 will fail to be flagship console this "go around", and why the PSP is like a dog being run too hard.

ENU291
03-16-06, 07:49 AM
I agree that the internet browser is a half a$$ attempt and that UMD movies are rediculously overpriced but there are some quality game titles out for the PSP and some incredible titles on the way (Syphon Filter, Daxter, Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins etc). As a portable entertainment device (Picture Viewer, MP3 Player, Movie Viewer, Internet Browser, Video Game Player) you have to admit that the PSP is hard to beat.

surfhurleydude
03-16-06, 08:33 AM
The sad part is.... You're right. I purchased a Jap PSP at when it launched in Japan, and had it until about October this year, when it was stolen from my own locked room when I had a party at my apartment. Unfortunately (as if having it stolen isn't unfortunate enough), I simply have not been compelled to buy another one yet... Allow me to explain myself.

1. At the time of owning it, I had 2 games - Ridge Racer 6 and NFL Street. That's after owning it from December of last year to October. There simply weren't any titles for it worth owning, and while the software releases have picked up - it's still lacking. Recently however, there have been some hot releases, such as Daxter and Syphon Filter which UNDENIABLY look sweet as hell. The amazing looking PSP version of Tekken is supposed to come out in a few months, and that game looks sweet as hell too. Beyond these, the PSP software out is mostly just filler titles with a few "above average" games here and there. The PSP is first and foremost a portable game console, and it only does an average job of it, in my opinion.

2. As an MP3 player, it was garbage. First off, the size of the PSP itself makes it way too big to fit into your pocket without sticking out like a sore thumb. IPods have changed the way we (at least myself anyways) think about MP3 players, and they just slip on in to your pocket. I'm not really the type of guy that wears extremely baggy pants, so maybe that's my problem. ;) The only time I found my PSP comfortably fitting into my pockets was when I was wearing cargo shorts with comparitively enormous pockets on the side of my leg... If the size of the thing wasn't bad enough, the fact that the MP3 player software built into the PSP is (or was? it's been a few months...) utter garbage too. The file system was crap, and organizing and browsing through MP3s was atrocious. It was just plain pitiful, actually. If playing video games on the thing was my top priority, then perhaps this wouldn't matter so much - but considering I actually "ended up" using it as an MP3 player primarily(which I believe other people used it for as well), instead of a handheld video game console it was kind of annoying. The good thing however, is that my complaints could be unwarranted, as recent firmware could have taken care of it. I don't know, I haven't seen a PSP since October.

3. As a movie player, it's a mixed bag. The PSP has potential to display some REALLY high quality video. The only problem is that UMDs are way too expensive, and the only thing you can use them in is the PSP. If I'm going to spend the same price or HIGHER on the UMD version of a movie than a DVD movie, I'd at least like to be able to watch it on a TV or something, should I decide to do that - the resolution of UMD movies are certainly high enough. Of course, my gripe could easily be solved by
A. Slashing prices on UMD movies to make them more of a bargain vs. DVDs (why buy a UMD movie when you can just buy the DVD and convert it to MP4 and send it to your PSP?) and/or
B. Allowing some kind of PS3 - PSP functionality to let me watch PSP UMD movies on the TV.
I can't help but just see UMD movies as a gimmick at the moment, and I simply see absolutely no reason to justify the purchase of a UMD movie over the DVD version unless you don't have a DVD player (and if that's the case... Why didn't you just buy a PS2 instead of your PSP? ;)).

Despite all these gripes, the PSP really is a neat little thing, and I know I'll definitely buy one again... Just not yet. $250 is still a bit much, especially noting all the points I brought up. The good thing however is that all of these problems can/already have been/will be solved probably in the not too distant future. We already know about the price cut, we know about a whole library of PSone games on the PSP, we know about some new killer titles coming out soon, and as far as MP3 playing goes, that only takes a little bit of firmware revising to fix. The biggest "problem" is the subject of UMD Movies - but that's not really our problem, that's Sony's :)

Peoples-Agent
03-16-06, 08:38 AM
Love them or hate them, they are the best handheld console there is.
Name a single half decent alternative as media rich as these things.
There isn't one.

six_storm
03-16-06, 12:10 PM
The biggest pet peeve about the PSP IMO is the loading times. I've played my friend's PSP a few times and the loading times were about to kill me. And I agree with oldsk00l, it is way overpriced, system, games and movies alike. Not the best handheld I've ever seen.

nVidiaGuru
03-16-06, 12:35 PM
i love the PSP but nothing will ever touch the gamegear, nadaIII

1337_Like_ThaT
03-16-06, 12:40 PM
.....(whine)

Love them or hate them, they are the best handheld console there is.
Name a single half decent alternative as media rich as these things.
There isn't one.

Correct! :thumbsup:

.....and yes GameGear & Nomad was the sh!t OMG I still own one and love it :D

oldsk00l
03-16-06, 04:54 PM
Ironically though, it wouldn't seem so overpriced if they opened the system up more. If it was more open, I think it'd be a fair deal at even a higher price than it currently is because of what would be done with it.

Lil Sassy
03-16-06, 06:42 PM
Hey dumbass, you DO realize that this handheld sucks ass because of the aforementioned right?Hey poopface, you know you're right, right? :D

oldsk00l
03-16-06, 07:14 PM
Hey poopface, you know you're right, right? :D
(pirate) (nana2) :smoking2:

Shamrock
03-16-06, 09:36 PM
what's so bad about the wifi? I can connect to my router, through 3 walls, and outside about 100ft away? I cant say the same about any other console. Although, it does suck down the juice to do it.

nV`andrew
03-16-06, 10:02 PM
i think tis decent and easily the best hand-held

Bad_Boy
03-16-06, 10:12 PM
lol @ this thread. :P

WHY DO THE GAMES LOOK LIKE CRAP??!?! I'm sorry, but if pursuit force is Sony's best push on the system visually...that's a joke next to say...God of War??

With arguments like this, no wonder I find myself laughing. (nana2)

Is he seriously comparing a handheld game developed by BigBig Studios (O_o wtf) to a console game made by SCE SM which happens to be one of the best looking last gen console games period. How about comparing a handheld game vrs a handheld game? Name another handheld that puts out games that look as good as the psp's handheld titles.

Zelda_fan
03-16-06, 10:42 PM
lol bottom line is PSP is another crap device that sony put out in a lame attempt to compete with Nintendo. Should have bought a DS. You'd be having fun with Castlevania if you did.

Bad_Boy
03-16-06, 10:47 PM
too funny Zelda, too funny. :p

oldsk00l
03-16-06, 11:44 PM
Actually he's got a point.

Castlevania on DS is more fun than probably 9 in 10 PSP games.

make that 9.5

And yes, the games look like crap, Sony said PS2 level of graphics and we aren't seeing it. It's not because of the PSP's hardware either, it's because of well...I don't know...shoddy dev kits? A crap ass dev-rel dept?

You can laugh at my statement about the graphics all you like, but the fact is Sony did put out hardware that's capable of a LOT more. If anything I would expect better detail out of a PSP game (understandably at the low resolution screen) than a PS2 game. Instead we're seeing barely Dreamcast level of graphics.

evilchris
03-16-06, 11:48 PM
I've never understood the appeal of these handhelds..

Bad_Boy
03-16-06, 11:55 PM
lol, if psp graphics are crap. wtf are DS graphics? zelda, dont tell me, i know. amazingly spectacular right? :p

Zelda_fan
03-17-06, 12:03 AM
lol, if psp graphics are crap. wtf are DS graphics? zelda, dont tell me, i know. amazingly spectacular right? :p

who cares about graphics if the games suck? Mario dosen't have uber leet PSP grafiks, yet it's still fun to play. You basically spent $250 on a handheld technology demo. Way to waste your money buddy.

Bad_Boy
03-17-06, 12:21 AM
lol, you act like all psp games get 5 and below on reviews, which is highly the opposite. http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?type=reviews&platform=1024&mode=all&sort=score&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc
http://psp.ign.com/index/reviews.html?constraint.not_null.article.overall_r ating=is_true&ordering.order=desc&ordering.attribute=article.review_date&constraint.max_rows=40&sort.attribute=article.overall_rating&sort.order=desc

please Zelda_fan, tell me which psp games have you played?

Well considering, I feel that I have highly gotten my monies worth, its obvious we have different opinions on the psp. anyways, im having much fun playing maverick hunter and SOCOM online. My copies of Daxter and Syphon Filter should be here monday. Not interested in powered up too much, but im hearing nothing but good things about the level editor. I'm also waiting for powerstone, tekken, ghost and goblins to release.

oh thats right, i take that back, its not ok if i name ports right? but when its nintendo, ports are nothing less but amazing fun.

Zelda_fan
03-17-06, 12:31 AM
tEh iGn rEviews sez all so PSP mus^t be guud!!!

DS games are more fun. Period. The sales figures agree with me.