PDA

View Full Version : Making the switch: PC to console

jnd3
03-16-06, 10:09 AM
Whew. Been away for a while, work and life keeping me from any activity 'round here of late.

So I'm thinking about ditching my PC (it's about at the end of its life for gaming and) and hooking up with an Xbox360. The main reason: Oblivion. I'm not convinced that my PC is up to the task, and the cost of upgrading it would be about the same as a 360. I don't have as much time for games any more, and much of the time I've spent has been more out of obligation ("gotta get my $40 worth out of this game") than out of any real fun. Plus I'm figuring that I can get my wife to sit down and play, an added bonus on all counts.

Anyone else made the full-on switch to console gaming? Advice? Thoughts? Thanks!

Saintster
03-16-06, 10:19 AM
Not a full on switch,i never will but I have my xbox 360 coming today. i would say in your situation go for the xbox.The value is greater in the long run and it's just as fun as the pc.

Superfly
03-16-06, 10:30 AM
what he said - sounds like a 360 is just what your looking for.

Tygerwoody
03-16-06, 10:39 AM
I honestly would get Xbox360 if they would just get bloody mouse support. I play FPS games 95% of the time, something that is anoying with a controller. Anyway, other than first person games I'd say Xbox360 is a great thing to have.

msxyz
03-16-06, 03:50 PM
Sadly Mouse support won't ever come because it would give an insane advantage over the analog stick, unless Microsoft decides also to make some gaming rooms dedicated to mouse users only but the chances are close to zero atm.

evilchris
03-16-06, 04:03 PM
A mouse has no use or place on a gaming console.

ralinn
03-16-06, 04:18 PM
Well I wouldn't say it has no use! But I agree that it has no place. If I wanna use a mouse then I'll play my PC. I don't want to see a mouse on a console.

evilchris
03-16-06, 04:29 PM
Here is a super-intelligent well thought out debate about the 360:

http://www.gothiccircle.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=74

/sarcasm

=)

Acid Rain
03-16-06, 06:51 PM
I honestly would get Xbox360 if they would just get bloody mouse support. I play FPS games 95% of the time, something that is anoying with a controller. Anyway, other than first person games I'd say Xbox360 is a great thing to have.I agree wholly with this. No matter how much time I invest in getting good, I just simply do not have the pin-point accuracy with a joypad in FPS titles. I'm quite good, now, but there is no way in hell I'm going to out marksman a guy who's using a mouse.

That said, I love the controller for the genres it works well with. Third person action/adventure, racing, fighting. The console can never fully replace my PC, but it fits into it's niche quite nicely. Especially right now, when most titles for the 360 are at least good, with several that are very good to excellent, while the PC usually gets table scraps now. :( Oblivion is an exception, but like most high profile games right now, it's coming to the 360 as well.

Saintster
03-16-06, 11:25 PM
Just got done messin around with my xbox 360. It's cool I liked Kameo,Perfect Dark I also got Gotham racing but haven't tried it. Visually it can hold up with alot of pc titles,gameplay as well. i have a 55" Sony HDTV and it plays amazingly. I'll never give up my PC gaming that's really where it's at for me but I'm also a gamer and if there is a good game whether it be on console or PC I'm there!

evilchris
03-16-06, 11:26 PM
Just got done messin around with my xbox 360. It's cool I liked Kameo,Perfect Dark I also got Gotham racing but haven't tried it. Visually it can hold up with alot of pc titles,gameplay as well. i have a 55" Sony HDTV and it plays amazingly. I'll never give up my PC gaming that's really where it's at for me but I'm also a gamer and if there is a good game whether it be on console or PC I'm there!

Pick up GRAW and Condemned man, I'm sure you'll love them. Wasn't Kameo awesome? Nothing like it...

Zelda_fan
03-17-06, 12:33 AM
Pick up GRAW and Condemned man, I'm sure you'll love them. Wasn't Kameo awesome? Nothing like it...

Gameplay wise Kameo was like a watered down version of Zelda - which means it's a lot of fun considering the rediculously high regard I hold the Zelda series in.

Graphics wise Kameo has no equal except maybe Oblivion. But we will see come march 21st.

evilchris
03-17-06, 01:02 AM
Gameplay wise Kameo was like a watered down version of Zelda - which means it's a lot of fun considering the rediculously high regard I hold the Zelda series in.

Graphics wise Kameo has no equal except maybe Oblivion. But we will see come march 21st.

Does Zelda have the variety though? A big thing with Kameo for me was all the elementals. I loved doing random things with them.

I see you got Deep Blue. He's a PITA to control at first, don't get too frustrated.

msxyz
03-17-06, 02:08 AM
A mouse has no use or place on a gaming console.I don't understand why many people think of a console in any other way but a toy that can only be played on a couch in front of a television.

Once you hook it to a monitor and play it on the desk, what's the difference with a "fully blown" computer ? The console is only the medium through which games played, not necessarily a lifestyle. If racing games can be played through wheels, why first person games shouldn't be played with a more comfortable device like a mouse ?

TBH, I'm thinking of dropping my computer too, I'm going to assemble a very quiet microPC based on a Via C7 just to surf the web and the usual home tasks.

evilchris
03-17-06, 02:14 AM
Personally I find a controller more confortable in FPS than a mouse and keyboard. I work on a keyboard all day managing routers and going home proceeding to hold my hand STIFF on WASD and STIFF on a mouse playing a game is absolutely miserable. A controller is ergonomic and comfortable.

a12ctic
03-17-06, 08:26 AM
get the original xbox cheap as dirt and youll still be able to play fun games ;)

jnd3
03-17-06, 08:53 AM
get the original xbox cheap as dirt and youll still be able to play fun games ;)
Naw, I've got the coin for a 360. :D I figure that there's enough backward compatibility that I can get the games I missed on the Xbox (which pretty much amounts to Halo 2). Yeah, I think I'm sold. GRAW and Oblivion are looking to seal the deal.

killahsin
03-17-06, 09:37 AM
yeah don't forget about ninja gaiden either. Thats a hardcore game.

t6_shadow
03-17-06, 06:35 PM
LoL any thread that had consoles and pcs in it always seem to turn into a bit of a Keyboard and mouse vs controller debate. I am sure everyone know my correct opinion on this matter so I will just say this. If you are going to play fps on the 360 start with Ghost Recon it plays FAR better with the game pad than Perfect dark does.

GamerGuyX
03-17-06, 07:10 PM
I am sure everyone know my correct opinion on this matter so I will just say this.

More like wrong opinion...