PDA

View Full Version : NF4 Ethernet Adaptor

Superfly
03-16-06, 06:54 PM
Well I love my new board, love the new 7600GT but WTF!!!! does'nt the NF4 NIC work??

All I can get is a 169. loopback address, I can release but I cant renew the IP??

I just want gigabyte ethernet from the onbaord NIC - is that too much to ask.

I would love some help on this guys - you've had NF4 boards for ages now and somebody must be using the NF4 NIC.

Smokey
03-16-06, 07:04 PM
I have my adsl modem connected to my ethernet adapter and havent had any problems with it at all, sorry I cant be of any help.

Superfly
03-16-06, 07:06 PM
k - well at least I know its supposed to work.

Dazz
03-16-06, 07:20 PM
All of the NF4 boards i have had works however i have only tested it on a cable modem not direct connect is that what you are trying to do create a gateway to hook 2 PC's up?

Son Goku
03-16-06, 07:25 PM
Don't know about the nForce 4, but on my nForce 3 board, I've got much the same problem and I think it's driver related, not hardware related...

I'm not sure on the fix, but in Windows XP Pro, it's a no go and I had to add a spare PCI based NIC card I had lieing around here, to get out on the Internet. Otherwise and with nVidia's drivers it was a no go... No idea, as on my older nForce 1 board I had no such issue.

I say it's likely driver and not hardware related though, because when I installed Linux on the same partition, Linux recognized the NIC, and set itself up to use that. As such, iI ended up needing to move the NIC cable off the PCI card and back onto the NF3 bundled NIC to get out... It's odd that Linux should have had an easier time playing with the bundled NIC then winXP... Usually one expects Windows to play with hardware more easily :screwy:

Sorry I can't help more, as I hadn't found a work around myself, except add another card...

ViN86
03-16-06, 07:25 PM
are you using the nv firewall?

Son Goku
03-16-06, 07:27 PM
In my case I tried it with, and without, having tried multiple combinations with the driver set... Made no difference either way, and after about 2-4 hours gave up and grabbed the Intel NIC I had sitting in the closet... Not sure in his case.

Superfly
03-16-06, 07:31 PM
Nope - no firewall, and its connecting to a router which then connects onto a cable modem.

Im using USB ATM as you may have guessed!!!

superklye
03-16-06, 07:35 PM
Does your board have two NICs? Mine's got dual...one is an nVIDIA NIC and the other is Marvell or something like that. Have you tried both?

ViN86
03-16-06, 07:37 PM
yea, i used my marvell connection on my a8n-sli as well. the nf4 NIC on this DFI board seems to work nicely though, so now im using it again.

madmartyau
03-17-06, 01:48 AM
Only problems I've had with NF4 nic is when I have a lot of connections on bit torrent I get blue screened. Other than that it works fine.

Edit: Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling TCP/IP?

Superfly
03-17-06, 02:50 AM
ummm - I dont have dual NIC's, I will try bypassing the rouer and seeing if I can get an IP address if I conect directly to the modem.

thanks for the help so far chaps.

Superfly
03-17-06, 07:50 AM
haha!!!! got it working.

User error im afraid - my router was blocking the MAC address (oops!!)

all sorted now.

thanks guys.