PDA

View Full Version : Competition Is Going To Make Quality Features Added More Frequently To Mainboards?

FraGTastiK
03-16-06, 07:01 PM
Like low ESR Japanese Capacitors Venus has or 8 Phase CPU power regulation in A8N32.

Xbitlabs reports emerging of digital CPU power regulators.(sounds good)Albatron is also going to produce a mainboard with full low ESR Japanese capicitors and digital clock-generator.It seems like with the next wave of mainboards coming our way we are going to have more high quality products than ever before.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/cebit2006-4_4.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/cebit2006-3_5.html

I guess voltage regulation segment needed that shake as its getting increasingly vital for stability of todays high-end systems running many power hungry sensitive devices, wich are probably going to be overclocked, to have clean stable voltage running through them.

Riptide
03-16-06, 07:03 PM
My main complaint about motherboards are their finicky nature w/regard to RAM, layout, and other idiosyncracies in general.

ViN86
03-16-06, 07:26 PM
My main complaint about motherboards are their finicky nature w/regard to RAM, layout, and other idiosyncracies in general.
agreed.

FraGTastiK
03-16-06, 07:26 PM
I have come to the conclusion that with too many different ram chips around there is always a chance of having incompatibility issues.I see that Corsair/Asus move on 3500LL insured compatibility with A8N32 just what people may need to buy both and have peace of mind .I think we need to see more of that close cooperation happening between manufacturers. Some people may see this as a marketing starategy, although it sure is but its not ONLY a marketing strategy.

Also one should always consider Iatrogenically created situations.I know I had a few of them blaming the hardware while in reality it was ME who had hurt the hardware in the first place.

Mr_LoL
03-16-06, 08:24 PM
I would agree with layout. With dual heatsinks on videocards nowadays you only have one spare pci slot. I don't know why some motherboard makers like abit never take this into account.

seeker
03-16-06, 11:33 PM
I would agree with layout. With dual heatsinks on videocards nowadays you only have one spare pci slot. I don't know why some motherboard makers like abit never take this into account.
The solution to that is to buy an AGP motherboard. Of course, I know that you gamers would never consider doing that. I will never buy a PCIe motherboard until they make one with a standard array of regular PCI slots...it really wouldn't be that hard to do.

jAkUp
03-17-06, 12:42 AM
All PCIe boards have PCI slots... most of them have 3, but with these bulky heatsinks, we typically only have 1-2 pci slots unoccupied.

seeker
03-17-06, 12:46 AM
Yes, but by standard array, I mean 5 slots. I would even settle for 4, but 3 is too little.

Mr_LoL
03-17-06, 01:40 AM
you can also get a motherboard with only one pciexpress slot if you do not plan on going sli. This frees up at least three pci slots.

CaptNKILL
03-17-06, 01:47 AM
Yes, but by standard array, I mean 5 slots. I would even settle for 4, but 3 is too little.
I dont think theres enough room for so many PCI devices while still having room for all of the modern mainboard components and PCI-E slots that gamers need on high end systems. The majority of people will never even need any PCI devices except for MAYBE a dialup modem or a better soundcard.

That said, on newegg.com there are still 17 socket 939 motherboards that have 4-5 PCI slots.

Boards like these arent very popular because people dont need that many PCI slots any more. They are still being made though. Some are actually really nice. In fact, the board I just replaced (Epox 9NDA3J) had 5 PCI slots and an AGP. I only ever used one, and that was for my X-Fi soundcard.

jAkUp
03-17-06, 03:38 AM
We should of done away with PCI years ago.

Not to mention Parallel and Serial... Why are those still on some motherboards??!!

Riptide
03-17-06, 09:22 AM
But why? With the exception of striped raid arrays with very fast disks there have been very few devices even up until just recently that require more bandwidth than it offers. And it's only recently that those fast disk drives and striped arrays have even really been available for the average desktop - due to cost issues.
Not to mention Parallel and Serial... Why are those still on some motherboards??!!
Because some printers last a long, long time. And it's retarded to go and replace a device that is working just fine. HP printers are good examples here. As for serial ports a lot of people have legacy devices that need them and continue to function fine to this day. Modems are an example there. A lot of network equipment uses serial to communicate with laptops so you can get in and talk to them. Why replace a perfectly good device just because you don't want to have to use serial?

I have an APC SmartUPS 1000. Works perfectly. Why should I go out and spend hundreds on another one when I have a perfectly good device already? It requires a serial port to talk with the PC.

Strahd
03-17-06, 02:30 PM

I still use my serial port for my APC. I have XP configured to shut my PC down when there is a power outtage if it lasts longer then 14 minutes. I'm sure that when/if APC uses a USB port I'll switch but until then, I'm stuck with a serial port to do it.

Riptide
03-17-06, 04:38 PM
FWIW you can buy serial ports on a card, at least in PCI. Hopefully someone will come out with (or already has?) a PCI-E serial card.

Strahd
03-17-06, 05:34 PM
We have so few PCI slots as it is, I'll be damned if I'm gonna waste one for a serial port :)

Riptide
03-17-06, 05:48 PM
It's only a waste if you don't use it. ;)

Strahd
03-17-06, 06:04 PM
lol. I have a raid card for one PCI slot, and I'm considering a X-FI which will take another slot, my 3 rd slot is taken up by my water block. Which one would you give up? :)

CaptNKILL
03-17-06, 06:09 PM
Thats a tough one. If it helps any though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?ATTR6=2010150410+1193515356&N=2010150410+1193515356&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=410&Order=price

There are a lot of PCI-E RAID controllers. Some are hundreds of dollars, some are under $30.

a12ctic
03-17-06, 06:34 PM
My mobo = <3

PCI Express x16 1
PCI Express x1 1
PCI Slots 3
Other Slots 1x PCI Express X4, 1x PCI for communication

Strahd
03-17-06, 06:42 PM
I'll take SCSI Ultra 320 over those anyday :) I am not pleased at all with these SATAII drives I have. Even in a raid 0, my average access time is 12.5ms and burst transfer speeds are on par with my SCSI card. Sustained my SCSI card has them beat but not by much. My SCSI raid drive average access time is 4ms.

You may not think that is a difference but once you have been spoiled by the faster access time and move to the slower one, you notice it alot. Especially with booting into windows and level loads.

I decided to try the SATAII drives because the transfer speeds were suppose to be as good or better then Ultra 320 and I do agree, they are pretty close to each other but for access time, my Ultra 320's have them beat by over 66% 4ms version just a little over 12ms.

@CaptNKILL - I wish those were an alternative for me but both my PCIe slots between my video cards are not useable because of my water blocks and I'm not giving up water for any card, no matter how good it is hehe

I wish they would add Ultra 320 SCSI controllers to these MB's :thumbsup:

Riptide
03-17-06, 07:05 PM
Which one would you give up? :)
The water block. Because I can't overclock anyway. :p

Strahd
03-21-06, 05:45 PM
The water block. Because I can't overclock anyway. :p

Well I can and the difference of 50-55c idle on air to 38 idle on water is much better and well worth it. My max was 70c on air, it's 43c now. I'm not giving up my waterblock :P

Granted my core clock only goes up 30Mhz but my goal was a cooler PC, and to OC my CPU and memory :)