PDA

View Full Version : Steam Update


Wolken007
03-16-06, 09:35 PM
With the latest steam update (3/13), I seem to have lost some performance in the CS:Source stress test. My FPS used to hover right around 170 with my 7800GTX 256mb cards. Now, they struggle to hit 150. Anybody else experience loss in performance. Using 84.20 drivers btw. Thanks.

nV`andrew
03-16-06, 10:39 PM
yes i have with my 7800gt i get 10 less fps

Burnt_Ram
04-10-06, 09:49 AM
i had a performance loss too. i went to 82.12's and my performance in DOD:S and CS:S is way better!

Sazar
04-10-06, 10:08 AM
Keep in mind that when some updates occur, tweaks you might have been using might have been reset.

I typically have to re-do my settings everytime there is an update :(

If you follow my stats, you will see a constant level with a dip right after every update as I struggle to find the right balance again.

Burnt_Ram
04-10-06, 10:25 AM
Keep in mind that when some updates occur, tweaks you might have been using might have been reset.

I typically have to re-do my settings everytime there is an update :(

If you follow my stats, you will see a constant level with a dip right after every update as I struggle to find the right balance again.
personally i've never tweaked source ...

OWA
04-10-06, 08:56 PM
What I do is this:

- copy the application label part from the cs: source profile to the HL2 profile and then delete the cs:source profile.

- change the SLI rendering mode to AFR2 in the HL-2 profile. My HL-2 performance stays about the same but my CS:Source performance goes way up with AFR2. Before doing this change, I was getting around 135fps in the stress test with the 84.25 drivers but after making the above changes, I'm at around 185fps.

I've needed to do the above in a few of the later drivers. For me anyway, the CS:Source profile essentially isn't recognized. For example, if I wanted to force 8xSAA, changing it in the CS:S profile wouldn't have any effect. I found by trial and error that if I changed it in the HL2 profile, then it worked in CS:S. So, I figured the path part of the CS:S profile isn't working correctly. Merging them and changing the SLI value to AFR2 seems to solve all of that. Of course, that work-around could be a problem if you want different settings for CS:S and HL2 though.

Edit: Actually, all I had to do was just delete the CS:Source profile and change the HL-2 SLI value to AFR2. After doing that, it seems to use the Half-Life 2 profile by default.