PDA

View Full Version : Any fix for Quake 3 config error?

Darkfalz
03-17-06, 02:41 AM
With 8x.xx drivers (including latest beta) Q3A resets to bilinear and second highest texture quality every time you start.

Any fix for this yet? Setting the q3config.cfg readonly doesn't stop it from doing it.

I know Q3A is an old game but I still play it. I'm getting 6600GT tomrrorrow (probably).

saturnotaku
03-17-06, 04:23 AM
Try copying the required information to a blank text file and name it autoexec.cfg and see if that helps.

RejZoR
03-17-06, 09:39 AM
Yeah, i found the fix for that too.

Open Graphics panel in Q3A, set to Trilinear and move the Texture Quality slider to Max. Q3A will move you back to main menu when you apply the settings.
Return to Graphics menu again and repeat the process. This time, settings will persist. Unfortunatelly only for current session. So when you'll close the Q3A, you'll have to repeat this next time again. It's dirty fix but it works. And if you can work fast with mouse it'll take you just few seconds. Same applies to Quake 3 Team Arena. Don't have a clue why this happens though...

Darkfalz
03-17-06, 01:43 PM
It's times like this I wish we could report bugs to NVIDIA directly.... crap like this sneaks in and it either never gets fixed or takes ages.

I wish they could have pure bug submission form, that would somehow avoid the millions of people asking why their 5200 is so slow and so on... :|

whoisit
03-17-06, 04:05 PM
I have this same issue with the single player campaign in Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (uses the Q3 engine). Everytime I bring the issue up, I get laughed at and told it's a problem with my computer. I'm still running the 78.05's because of this issue. I've tried all of the 8x.xx driver releases, and it only happens when an 8x.xx driver is installed. I've tried reinstalling the game when I have an 8x.xx driver installed, and the issue still occurs. When I go back to the 7x.xx drivers every thing works great. Wish nVidia would take a look at it.

[BANDIT]
03-18-06, 08:05 AM
I have this on 78.xx and 8x.xx. :(

Darkfalz
03-18-06, 08:43 AM
Yes it affects all Q3 engine games (I have Q3A, Q3TA and RTCW). I hope NVIDIA fixes it soon.... wasn't fixed in 84.20 beta (though the profiles bug finally was!).

RejZoR
03-18-06, 02:13 PM
Has anyone actually read my fix method?

Burpy
03-18-06, 04:41 PM
This is not a driver issue, it's how the Q3 engine works.

Create an autoexec.cfg and put all the commands that you want to "stick", in there.
Then put the autoexec.cfg in your baseq3 folder, also put the autoexec.cfg in all mod folders as well.

Download my autoexec & change the settings to suit your computer.

r_mode to change your resolution. I'm using "-1" for custom resolution. (1680x1050)
com_maxfps - I set it to "60" because I'm on a LCD.
r_swapinterval is vsync, I have it on.

I'm playing Q3 with the setup in my sig, so I have all the eye candy on.

Here is a good reference for Q3 commands. [ Link (http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/FPS_visuals.html) ]

Darkfalz
03-18-06, 05:52 PM
While the engine may be bugged, obviously something happened recently in the drivers to trigger it. So it can be fixed by NVIDIA if they want to.

Burpy
03-18-06, 06:19 PM
Ok, I just launched Q3 & I see what you are talking about. Even tho I have driver & Q3 settings set to the highest quality, the game doesn't reflect the settings. Something is definitely off.

Using forceware 83.91 x64.

Darkfalz
03-20-06, 01:27 PM
Has anyone actually read my fix method?

Yes, and I also tried it myself, but it's still a bit of a hassle. Actually (at least for me) you have to apply settings twice for them to "stick". Really weird.

But it got me thinking, and I came up with perhaps the most "elegant" fix so far.

Create a file in your baseq3 directory (or depending on Q3 based game, wherever it goes) called "config.cfg" or something. Put this in it:

vid_restart
r_picmip 0
r_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
vid_restart

For RTCW add another r_picmip2 0 after the first r_picmip.

Now when you start the game, simply go to console and type "exec config.cfg"

This will restart video system twice for you as required, and set the correct texture quality/filter quality on the second time.

It works! Unfortunately you can't put it in autoexec.cfg as those are applied before the video system loads.

Darkfalz
03-20-06, 02:11 PM
The first time you start Quake 3, /forceSW is appended to the NVIDIA OpenGL string. I believe this is the cause. When you use vid_restart, then it's not appended anymore. I believe this means "force software" which would make sense for Q3 to disable higher quality rendering under.

In 78.05 when it worked fine, /forceSW didn't appear on first run (or at all).

Now if we can only work out how to fix this problem... or alert NVIDIA about it.

Wolfhound
03-20-06, 02:24 PM
I have the same problem, windows XP x64 forceware 81.89, I think it was a problem of my PC but seeing more people having this problem i think is related to drivers, hope this get fixed soon

Burpy
03-23-06, 09:36 AM
Nvidia has a FPS forum that might get their attention about this bug. [ NVidia Forum (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=18) ]

Darkfalz
03-23-06, 03:50 PM
Nvidia has a FPS forum that might get their attention about this bug. [ NVidia Forum (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=18) ]

I doubt any of the software devs at NVIDIA read their own forums.

x4er0
03-24-06, 06:01 PM
Ok check this out:

When you have your config up 2 date, go to q3config.cfg right click and properties, make it read only, so next time it will stay that way, works for q3,q4,doom 3 and doom 3 r.o.e.

c yah;)

Darkfalz
03-24-06, 09:57 PM
Ok check this out:

When you have your config up 2 date, go to q3config.cfg right click and properties, make it read only, so next time it will stay that way, works for q3,q4,doom 3 and doom 3 r.o.e.

c yah;)

This doesn't work. Not only does it not stop Quake 3 from using the lower settings once it starts, it also stops it from remembering any single player stats you rack up.

whoisit
03-29-06, 11:22 AM
Well, I finally got around to try the 84.25's. Same issue with Q3 games as the rest of the 8x.xx drivers. I'm really starting to regret purchasing an nVidia card.

Darkfalz
03-29-06, 05:02 PM
Well, I finally got around to try the 84.25's. Same issue with Q3 games as the rest of the 8x.xx drivers. I'm really starting to regret purchasing an nVidia card.

By the time they fix the bug, they'll have added 5 other bugs. That's how forceware works unfortunately :thumbdwn:

RaZ0r!
03-29-06, 08:52 PM
While the engine may be bugged, obviously something happened recently in the drivers to trigger it. So it can be fixed by NVIDIA if they want to.

If so then ATI has the same bug, as Quake3 did the same thing with my old ATI Radeon 9800XT before I upgraded to a 7800GS. Pretty sure this is a Quake3 issue only. I just deleted all my q3config.cfg files and the problem hasn't come back as of yet.

Darkfalz
03-29-06, 11:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the bug is because initially Quake 3 starts up with the /ForceSW on the OpenGL provider string, and Quake 3 lowers the settings because of that switch. On subsequent runs, /ForceSW is not added.

In Unreal Tournament (original) the switch is never present on first run in OpenGL mode.

So something in the driver was changed to add this to the string when Quake 3 is run (perhaps it has to do with the version being 2.x) and also a bug/"feature" in Quake making it lower settings when it detects it.

saturnotaku
03-31-06, 07:25 AM
Have you tried creating a profile for Quake 3 with the OpenGL extension limit enabled? For some reason you can't switch it on/off in the driver control panel, but nHancer should work.

Darkfalz
03-31-06, 05:59 PM
Extension limit is default in the pre-installed profiles. Doesn't help this issue at all.