PDA

View Full Version : Help, new computer crashes when installing Nforce drivers

dazed343
03-17-06, 06:51 AM
So last night I traded my buddy my P4 3.0 nw and Intel board for his Athlon 64 3000+ and DFI nForce 3 250gb board. He is always incoding and I am always playing games so I figured why not. Problem is I can't get it to work at all. When I go to install the nforce drivers it crashes and reboots. Here is what I am doing and what I am running.

I install XP Home SP2. Computer seems to boot fine into Windows and sits at desktop fine. I then run the nForce setup before anything else. It asks me what nforce drivers I want to install so I choose everything but the sound. As soon as it reaches the sw? (I think that is what it is called) it gives me the option to click next again. At that point I can see some window popup for a flash of a second almost like the nforece is trying to install something else, but before I can see what it is I get a very quick bsod followed by a reboot. And when it reboots I see the bios, the hardware dectection, but instead of loading windows it goes to a black screen and I have to reinstall windows.

Here is what I have, followed by what I have tried:

AMD 64 3000+ Newcastle
DFI Lanparty nForce 3 250GB s754
2GB 2xHynix Ram DDR400 ram set to 400 in bios
BFG 6800GS 256mb
Creative X-FI xtreme music
WD 80GB SATA (Died on me while installing windows (go figure with my luck))
WD 160GB IDE (Currently using for windows but recieving same error as SATA)
LG 12x DVD-RW
400w Orion PSU

Ok, so here is what I have tried:

My friend said that I should have the SATA (which is now dead) on plug 3 so it sees it as internal not external like would happened when plugged into #1. Did not help.
Then I tried disabling Memory Command per clock. No help.
My friend said there was a bug in the nforce drivers in which you have to choose everything, so again I tried installing all and then installing everything but the Audio. No help.

So I'm thinking could it be my ram or power supply? Is something becoming active and causing the psu to reboot the system? Or could it be another bios setting I am missing. Thanks in advance for any help, I really want to get this system up and running. Also, nForce drivers are version 5.11

a12ctic
03-17-06, 08:33 AM
Eh just go without those drivers, if you need the intergrated audio install those drivers seperatly, also you really ripped him off, the amd 3000+ beats the intel 3.0 in pretty much everything including encoding....

Riptide
03-17-06, 08:41 AM
Can someone post some benchmarks proving this? I don't think a 3000+ beats the 3.0, even in gaming.

dazed343
03-17-06, 08:55 AM
I hear the IDE nforce driver may be to blame and just to install the MS IDE driver. Is this true? Is it a bug maybe? If so can I install it afterwards?
I disabled the nforce Audio in the bios as I have an X-FI sound card.

As for the swap of board and cpu it was his offer and I accepted because I though why not give AMD a try and besides he is doing mostly encoding. But anyways I have always heard AMD 64 is better in gaming.

Riptide
03-17-06, 09:10 AM
There is a 1.2GHz difference in clock speed. While the Athlon is more efficient - I'm skeptical that it's *that* much more efficient. In reality the two CPUs are probably nearly identical performancewise, w/the 3.0 possibly winning by a smidge.

dazed343
03-17-06, 09:22 AM
The IDE though, do you thknk that could be the problem? I spoke with my buddy a few minutes ago sho said that he just used the MS IDE driver but I hear it's as low as 1/5 the performance. So what would be great about using that driver... :(

CaptNKILL
03-17-06, 09:29 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/page29.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/page24.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/page28.html

Every version of the 3000+ wins vs. P4s in the 3.0 to 3.4 range... even the Barton (athlon xp) in the DirectX9 bench :p

AMD really is that much better in gaming. Of course, in the end it only amounts to a few FPS out of over 100 (on that system at least) but still, with a 1.6Ghz lead, AMD still stomps a P4.

CaptNKILL
03-17-06, 09:32 AM
The IDE though, do you thknk that could be the problem? I spoke with my buddy a few minutes ago sho said that he just used the MS IDE driver but I hear it's as low as 1/5 the performance. So what would be great about using that driver... :(
I use the default IDE driver and I get no problems and everything seems plenty fast to me. I've had too many problems with nforce IDE drivers, so I dont use them any more.

Superfly
03-17-06, 09:43 AM
So last night I traded my buddy my P4 3.0 nw and Intel board for his Athlon 64 3000+ and DFI nForce 3 250gb board. He is always incoding and I am always playing games so I figured why not. Problem is I can't get it to work at all. When I go to install the nforce drivers it crashes and reboots. Here is what I am doing and what I am running.

I install XP Home SP2. Computer seems to boot fine into Windows and sits at desktop fine. I then run the nForce setup before anything else. It asks me what nforce drivers I want to install so I choose everything but the sound. As soon as it reaches the sw? (I think that is what it is called) it gives me the option to click next again. At that point I can see some window popup for a flash of a second almost like the nforece is trying to install something else, but before I can see what it is I get a very quick bsod followed by a reboot. And when it reboots I see the bios, the hardware dectection, but instead of loading windows it goes to a black screen and I have to reinstall windows.

Here is what I have, followed by what I have tried:

AMD 64 3000+ Newcastle
DFI Lanparty nForce 3 250GB s754
2GB 2xHynix Ram DDR400 ram set to 400 in bios
BFG 6800GS 256mb
Creative X-FI xtreme music
WD 80GB SATA (Died on me while installing windows (go figure with my luck))
WD 160GB IDE (Currently using for windows but recieving same error as SATA)
LG 12x DVD-RW
400w Orion PSU

Ok, so here is what I have tried:

My friend said that I should have the SATA (which is now dead) on plug 3 so it sees it as internal not external like would happened when plugged into #1. Did not help.
Then I tried disabling Memory Command per clock. No help.
My friend said there was a bug in the nforce drivers in which you have to choose everything, so again I tried installing all and then installing everything but the Audio. No help.

So I'm thinking could it be my ram or power supply? Is something becoming active and causing the psu to reboot the system? Or could it be another bios setting I am missing. Thanks in advance for any help, I really want to get this system up and running. Also, nForce drivers are version 5.11

I would do the following:-

update MoBo BIOS
use the 6.70 NF drivers!!!!!
skip the sm driver if its causing you problems.
set command per clock to 1T.

Riptide
03-17-06, 09:52 AM
Every version of the 3000+ wins vs. P4s in the 3.0 to 3.4 range... even the Barton (athlon xp) in the DirectX9 bench :p
I guess I stand corrected.

But isn't Tom supposed to be an idiot?

dazed343
03-17-06, 10:04 AM
I would do the following:-

update MoBo BIOS
use the 6.70 NF drivers!!!!!
skip the sm driver if its causing you problems.
set command per clock to 1T.

I can't install the 6.70 because I only have the nForce 3 chipset not the 4.
but command per clock I have already set to 1T.

CaptNKILL
03-17-06, 10:14 AM
I can't install the 6.70 because I only have the nForce 3 chipset not the 4.
but command per clock I have already set to 1T.
Im not sure exactly how savvy you are as far as mixing drivers, but you can download the nforce 3 driver package, and the nforce 4 driver package. Open them up with 7-zip or winrar (rather than just letting them extract and install automatically), extract the GART (AGP) driver folder from the nforce 3 package, then extract the nforce 4 package to a seperate folder. I cant remember the name of the PCI-E driver folder, but find and delete that. Then put the GART folder in its place. When you run the installer, it installs any nforce related drivers that are available. The only real difference between the nf3 and nf4 packages are the AGP and PCI-E drivers. By getting rid of the one you dont need and putting in the one you do, you basically make an updated NF3 driver package.

When you install, dont install the SW driver.

Also, if you still have problems, keep your command rate at 2T... lots of ram cant do 1T without blue screens and errors.

grey_1
03-17-06, 10:54 AM
Im not sure exactly how savvy you are as far as mixing drivers, but you can download the nforce 3 driver package, and the nforce 4 driver package. Open them up with 7-zip or winrar (rather than just letting them extract and install automatically), extract the GART (AGP) driver folder from the nforce 3 package, then extract the nforce 4 package to a seperate folder. I cant remember the name of the PCI-E driver folder, but find and delete that. Then put the GART folder in its place. When you run the installer, it installs any nforce related drivers that are available. The only real difference between the nf3 and nf4 packages are the AGP and PCI-E drivers. By getting rid of the one you dont need and putting in the one you do, you basically make an updated NF3 driver package.

When you install, dont install the SW driver.

Also, if you still have problems, keep your command rate at 2T... lots of ram cant do 1T without blue screens and errors.
This is exactly what I did on my nf3 (DFI also). But when installing nv's drivers you are asked which drivers to install, uncheck all but one, install it, reboot, run setup again. This will isolate the misbehaving driver for you. Good Luck.

dazed343
03-17-06, 12:01 PM
This is exactly what I did on my nf3 (DFI also). But when installing nv's drivers you are asked which drivers to install, uncheck all but one, install it, reboot, run setup again. This will isolate the misbehaving driver for you. Good Luck.

Didn't think about that but I will give that a shot. Hopefully it'll isolate the problem. I'm suspecting from what I've read around the web and on different forums, the IDE SW driver may be causing the problem. I'm going to try reinstalling the drivers but leaving that one out and see what happeneds.

SavagePaladin
03-17-06, 12:52 PM
Disable eithernet in BIOS, install drivers, reenable ethernet in BIOS, you should be good to go I think. I just had this problem sometime this week.

a12ctic
03-17-06, 05:08 PM

nah theres other benches that prove the same, my amd 3000 oced at 2.4ghz outdoes my friends comp with a 3.6ghz intel (we both have 6600GTS) ;-)

Strahd
03-17-06, 05:48 PM

I wouldn't say an idiot. Alot of the reviews and stuff are actually pretty good and can be substantiated by others. His website just seems to be more biased then an objective reviewer should be.

Just my opinion

Riptide
03-17-06, 06:05 PM
I just know I've seen a LOT of people question his intelligence and objectivity.

dazed343
03-18-06, 04:27 PM
ok well I got it narrowed down to either the SW or IDE driver both of which I have not yet installed because I am finally up and running with all other system drivers installed. I'm hesitant to install either of these drivers as doing so might have me redo the windows install :( Any guess to which one could be the culprit?

SavagePaladin
03-18-06, 05:20 PM
ok well I got it narrowed down to either the SW or IDE driver both of which I have not yet installed because I am finally up and running with all other system drivers installed. I'm hesitant to install either of these drivers as doing so might have me redo the windows install :( Any guess to which one could be the culprit?
SW or IDE?

what?

The only thing I can try to understand from that question is the SW IDE driver...so...

dazed343
03-18-06, 08:29 PM
When you are installing the nforce drivers it gives you a list of about 5 things of which you can check off to install. One of them is the SW driver whatever that is and the other is the nforce Ide driver. Its one of those two drivers that if I try to install will crash Windows and when I reboot all I get is a black screen where Windows should be loading. The computer is up and running fine now with all my other system and device drivers installed but it would be nice to install those two. AIn device manager windows has installed its own IDE driver which is fine, long asv it works, but it lists the SW/PCI driver as missing.

dazed343
03-18-06, 11:45 PM
SM bus controller driver I ment.

Lfctony
03-18-06, 11:57 PM
Just install the ethernet, AGP Gart and the SM Bus drivers. Also, avoid using the Nvidia Network Management thingie, I've found it to crash my games. It should be fine that way. Mine booted to a black screen with the Nvidia IDE drivers.

dazed343
03-19-06, 12:03 AM
Well I just went ahead and installed the SM bus drivers which installed fine so it is the IDE drivers that will cause the system to crash if installed.