PDA

View Full Version : Connecting SB X-FI Xtrememusic to Frontal Case audio ports

ZealPath
03-17-06, 12:39 PM
Hello there, I have been building my new system over the past couple days and have encoutered a small hitch. My new case is an Antec Sonata II which has frontal audio-in and mic-in ports, now, this wouldn't be a problem if I were using on board sound, I could just plug the audio conntector from the case into my board's audio pins.

Unfortuantely that isn't going to do me any good, as I have an SB X-Fi Xtrememusic which I was hoping would have an obvious place to plug in the audio connector from the front of the case, but unfortunately, aside from the familiar cd-in port I can't find anything (or at least I don't know where they would go). Anyone with a little more experience connecting frontal audio jacks to pci soundcards have any suggestions on where I might be able to plug it in? Maybe I need a different cable?

Suggestions appreciated as always.

Muppet
03-18-06, 06:32 PM
From what i have read the pins are located in the same places as the Audigy 2.Here's a couple of sites to check out for which pins go where
http://www.driverheaven.net/showpost.php?p=695005&postcount=257
http://www.techimo.com/forum/t156658.html

john19055
03-18-06, 08:29 PM
I will have to check them sites out as I too have bought a new case,a Atec P 180 that has audio ports on the front and I have just order a SB X-Fi Xtrememusic myself.

ZealPath
03-18-06, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the links, the techimo one in particular was very informative... now I wonder if I can actually get the pins to fit on the soundcard without having to make a custom cable (cause there's no way I have enough skill with cables to pull that off). The irony is that I have one of those dell oem cables which plugs into the soundcard but it can't plug into the front of my case...

SLippe
03-18-06, 11:16 PM
It was my understanding that I couldn't hook my Soundblaster Live! 16bit or 24bit to my front panel ports, so I never have. Not a big issue, but I would be able to use my headset/mic there instead of the back. If you find a way, I'll definately have to check it out.

CaptNKILL
03-19-06, 12:36 AM
I dont know if this is true of all cases, but I've had 2 that had terrible front audio ports. The connections are crap and I lost all bass and sound was tinny when I used the front port. More expensive cases are probably better in this respect, but for this reason Id recommend finding an alternative to using the ports on a case. Maybe just get a 3 foot extension cable for a minijack and run it from the sound card to a more convenient place in the front.

john19055
03-28-06, 01:57 PM
I have been googleing but I have not found the Pin layout yet,I would like to hook up my front pannel,but I don't want to fry my new SB X-Fi Xtrememusic card.I just don't know if it the same as the audigy 2 card.I think I will email creative ,I am sure they will just email me a diagram of what I need,Yea right.