PDA

View Full Version : Hype level is unbelievable

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zelda_fan
03-17-06, 08:16 PM
Honestly, has a game ever been hyped up to the same level that Oblivion has? I don't remember ANY of the heavy hitters (Doom3, Unreal2k3, HL2, Halo2, etc) getting this kind of hype.

I mean look at this: Gamespot is posting a LIVE FEED on some knob playing Oblivion on an XBOX for 12 straight hours.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146174.html

Bethesda is doing "gameplay coutdown videos" and their servers are getting HAMMERED.

For me personally this is the first game I have EVER preordered, and the first game I have EVER bought the collecter's edition for. I've heard reports that all across america the game is sold out on preorders alone.

ralinn
03-17-06, 08:20 PM
I think it's more that you want it quite a bit more then everyone else :)

Don't get me wrong, I want it alot but I'm not quite wetting myself yet :D

agentkay
03-17-06, 08:21 PM
Yes its the first game I have ever preordered and honestly the hype slowly burns me out. Itīs slowly getting too much.

CaptNKILL
03-17-06, 08:25 PM
Itīs slowly getting too much.
Same here... the amount of trouble I've gone through to try to get the game on release day is rediculous. One of the support people at the publisher WAS emailing me and I WAS going to get the shipping changed to next day... but then they just decided not to email me any more. Wonderful.

I hope I dont get screwed and end up waiting until wednesday or even thursday...

Acid Rain
03-17-06, 08:35 PM
Well I for one will not be watching the gameplay video from Gamespot. I have enough info, the game is almost here, and anything else is just going to spoil it a bit for me.

agentkay
03-17-06, 08:35 PM
Same here... the amount of trouble I've gone through to try to get the game on release day is rediculous. One of the support people at the publisher WAS emailing me and I WAS going to get the shipping changed to next day... but then they just decided not to email me any more. Wonderful.

I hope I dont get screwed and end up waiting until wednesday or even thursday...

Itīs pretty sad when you think about a game at least once an hour. lol I feel like an addict who slowly falls into depression because he didnīt get his shot yet, and the fake shots (aka the hype machine, videos and pix) make it even worse.

Good luck Capt that you get your copy on time. If sh!t hits the fan, try to pick up a copy at Walmart or something, and return or ebay the extra copy that didnīt make it on time.

a12ctic
03-17-06, 08:40 PM
if i cant get it the first day ill bittorrent it and buy it when its in stock...

PaiN
03-17-06, 08:54 PM
Crazy hype..yep
I was in /a game store/ this morning, they opened a shippment box and the Oblivion Prima guides were in it...I pounced on it like a fly on ****(first guide I've ever bought) figured it would make good reading while I sweat out the wait....the manager gave me the the hardest time, he said it was not "street dated" yet he had too call two other stores and the dist. manager, before he let me have a guide........So what, right? This is the guy that called me personally at home to sell me FEAR DVD 2 days before its release ????

de><ta
03-17-06, 09:50 PM
if i cant get it the first day ill bittorrent it and buy it when its in stock...

Have fun getting a 5GB file via bit torrent on the first day, with limited seeders. I have my copy reserved along. :)

edit: also this game is pretty much guaranteed not to dissapoint. The hype can be pretty much justified. It will be an awesome gaming experience.

SH64
03-17-06, 09:58 PM
Dont forget the countdown timer :p
http://home.planet.nl/~willi408/TES-Countdown/

smallSHEEP
03-18-06, 03:01 AM
I thought this was a thread about oblivion hype not how fast you could pirate games?

Anyways, I'm going to get oblivion from a shop on release day, don't trust amazon to get it to me on time. :p

Lfctony
03-18-06, 03:03 AM
While I didn't play Morrowind much, I just might get this. A couple of gameplay videos I watched seemed pretty good, I haven't made up my mind yet. I enjoy RPGs very much, but I didn't feel at home with MW. Maybe it's because of it's sheer size...

Tony.

msxyz
03-18-06, 05:27 AM
I wonder how this would impact Xbox360 sales...

Believe or not, but around here the shortage ended long ago. However, today, for the first time in two months, my trusty store ran out of premiums and cores too. The storekeeper also told me that all the first shipment of Oblivion (around 100 copies for his store between PC version, Xbox and CEs) are barely sufficient to satsify the pre-orders alone and he was trying to get some more from the publisher.

Nutty
03-18-06, 08:57 AM
Can I just re-itterate that this forum does not condone Piracy at all, and talking about Pirating games will not be tolerated. No more discussions on how easy it will be to Torrent this game please.

jolle
03-18-06, 09:18 AM
got a preorder here myself, I have busied myself with WOW the last weeks so Ive been spared the Oblivion frenzy, and frankly Im staying away from it intentionally..
Hype never does any good, and watching alot of videos, screenshots and reading more about the game is only spoiling stuff I could discover on my own while playing the game for myself, which I will be in a couple of days or so.
Think it comes out here the 24th or something like that.

zoomy942
03-18-06, 09:29 AM
This game generally isn't my style But I'll pick this one up.

Riptide
03-18-06, 10:35 AM
RPGs don't interest me so I won't be getting it. I have a few friends who are going nuts over it though. One of them has a 9800XT and a 3.0 P4. I think he's in for a major letdown. As in 640x480 letdown.

a12ctic
03-18-06, 10:37 AM
RPGs don't interest me so I won't be getting it. I have a few friends who are going nuts over it though. One of them has a 9800XT and a 3.0 P4. I think he's in for a major letdown. As in 640x480 letdown.
nah i think hell get 1024x768 with low settings...

Zelda_fan
03-18-06, 10:40 AM

a 9800XT is gonna get pwnd

zoomy942
03-18-06, 11:14 AM
well, you've seen my notebook Sig right?

faraday
03-18-06, 06:37 PM
I guess the hype level is relative. I was much more hyped for HL2. There was like a gazillion post thread in the steam forums in the waiting for HL2. Also was probably the game that made more people upgrade their pc's.

The more pics I see of this game, the less hyped I feel. Which is actually good, lowered expectations :D

SH64
03-18-06, 07:06 PM
The more pics I see of this game, the less hyped I feel. Which is actually good, lowered expectations :D

Hmmm good point.

Mr Fujisawa
03-20-06, 08:11 AM
i too am constantly thinking about this game, its NOT good, ill be raising my expectations too high. i need to calm down and not expect anything great, otherwise ill be gutted.

killahsin
03-20-06, 09:02 AM
HL2 had some serious hype too. I would say oblivion is on par of the unreal 3.0 hl2 hype.

agentkay
03-20-06, 09:04 AM
http://www.pcgames.de/?menu=browser&mode=article&article_id=458405&entity_id=-1&image_id=501311&page=1

A couple of new screenshots, with plenty of bloom. Click on "Bild in Originalgröße" to see the full size 1280x1024 screenshot.