PDA

View Full Version : Plug & Play Software enumerator

The Bigman
03-17-06, 10:07 PM
Have a weird situation here with a customer machine. Im installing soundcard drivers for it and no mixer settings, their greyed out so i tracked it down to being 2 files needed for this driver: SWENUM.INF and SWENUM.SYS, have the .sys but googled the .inf and they want money for this inf file.

That is totally stupid seeing this file should be on the XP CD but no its not. i tracked down the file on google but no one has the file and u have to pay.

Anyone have the 2 files or where i can get them on the web or where are they at in windows?

CaptNKILL
03-17-06, 10:32 PM
According to this page:
http://www.skeeterbytes.com/pc/cabs/981.htm

swenum.inf is inside the Precopy2.cab file on the windows 98 CD.

I think you can use 7zip to open the cabs. Winrar might be able to do it too.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Hmm... just realized youre dealing with XP. Its possible its the same file, but I'll see if i can find it for XP.

EDIT2:

It looks like its probably the same for XP and 98.

Someone posted the contents of the file in text here:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6251-0.html?forumID=49&threadID=167025

I dont know if its all there though... so you should probably just get one off of a windows 98 CD if you can.

The Bigman
03-17-06, 10:36 PM
This a Windows XP SP2 system. I don't think a version of that file from WIN98 will work.

CaptNKILL
03-17-06, 10:41 PM
This a Windows XP SP2 system. I don't think a version of that file from WIN98 will work.
Id give it a try. If its the same filename, theres a good chance its the same file.

EDIT: Well, I just did a "containing-text" search of my Windows XP SP2 CD and the only things related to swenum are a few other .inf files with references to it. No cabs or other storage files.

I think the 98 one will work though. Some people who are solving it are referring to precopy2.cab, which is only on the 98 CD.

The Bigman
03-18-06, 03:05 PM
Thats the wierdest thing i ever seen because windows xp installes the entry in device manager.

And the file isn't on the XP cd or windows dir.

The Bigman
03-18-06, 05:48 PM
This is a closed discussion being i fixed the problem with the customer pc. i did the manual install of the files and rebooted and the mixer works fine iand i have the p and p driver installed but its not signed who cares it works.