PDA

View Full Version : Fixed aspect ratio scaling > garbled screen

Pages : [1] 2 3

lapino
03-18-06, 03:14 PM
I'm having a problem when selecting other than "Monitor scaling" in my nvidia "digital flat panel settings" pane. I want to used fixed aspect ratio scaling, but when I choose this, I get a garbled screen. Tried taking a screenshot, but then it seems to be normal with the regular dialogbox to confirm (which I don't, thus returing to previous setting)

My card is a 7800GTX with the latest drivers and monitor is a Acer AL2051W 20" widescreen TFT. I noticed that when I go to the monitor's menu when the screen is garbled, it shows the screen resolution as 1600x1200 instead of the (correct) 1680x1050.

Any idea how to fix this? Is this a problem with the driver? The monitor?

lapino
03-19-06, 05:36 AM
Nobody?

Drezn
03-29-06, 02:08 PM
I was starting to think I was the only one on the planet with this problem. I'm afraid I can't help you out, only tell you that I have a similar thread going here: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1306347#post1306347

If I find anything out, I'll let you know in this thread. I'd appreciate you returning the favor by doing the same.

I feel your pain mate :)

McSpidey
03-31-06, 07:19 PM
I have this same problem with my 26" LCD which comes up as a LG Electronics DT-3003X. I'm using a 7800GTX.

Drezn
04-01-06, 05:22 AM
Allright, I guess it means the forceware drivers are to blame. Perhaps they need to be programmed to work on specific brands and models, and the .ini files are just faulty when it comes to our specific monitors. I have no idea whether that is something that can be worked around, but that would really be cool. The drivers do work for other people, a friend of mine has it working just fine on his Dell widescreen monitor.

cube
04-01-06, 08:08 AM
try this:

Add a new custom resolution of 1680*1050 at 60Hz.

Apply this resolution.

Enter the advanced timing section and you might notice the back-end and front-end active under 'vertical lines' are not equal. One will be 1200 and the other 1050.

Set them both to 1050 and apply this new setting.

If it works, leave everything as it is. If not, try changing the flat panel scaling in advanced timing and test all four modes. (Display adapter scaling will most likely result in an incorrect aspect so you can skip checking it)

If this does not work try the four modes again but this time check if the monitor has scaling options that will extend the image with the correct aspect.

This should work with 80 series drivers, the solution for 70 series is slightly different and I believe this problem does not exist at all in the 50 series.

Drezn
04-02-06, 04:59 AM
Allright, I'll give that a go later tonight when I have the time to muck around with it. One question though... Isn't it just going to mess up my monitor cranking it up to 1650x1050? The max res supported by the monitor is 1440x900.

I'm so glad it finally seems like we might have a shot at resolving this, thanks a lot mate :)

cube
04-02-06, 12:42 PM
in your case add 1440*900 and correct it according to that in advanced timing.

i hope it works, it was months before i fixed the resolutions on my monitor.

lapino
04-02-06, 01:06 PM
I tried adding 1650x1050 as a custom resolution, but I'm getting an error when doing so.
When I select 1650x1050, I get an 'advanced timing' button enabled, and I can set "aspect ratio scaling" but it doesn't work (games keep getting stretched out)

cube
04-02-06, 01:55 PM
I tried adding 1650x1050 as a custom resolution, but I'm getting an error when doing so.
When I select 1650x1050, I get an 'advanced timing' button enabled, and I can set "aspect ratio scaling" but it doesn't work (games keep getting stretched out)

just to confirm, do you want 1650 or 1680? i think you meant 1680.

if you tried 1680 already, also try 1600* 1000 (should fit the screen perfectly) and 1600*900 (will be stretched vertically on an LCD).

Drezn
04-02-06, 03:56 PM
Ok, I've been working with it for a while now without much luck. I started out by adding the 1440x900 resolution, don't think that worked though since it's already on there as default. I entered advanced to edit the settings and noticed that there were no differences between the numbers that needed changing.

What's sort of odd is that it doesn't give me the garbled screen anymore when I try to enter "center image" or "fixed aspect ration scaling", it just didn't seem to change much. When I took a closer look I noticed that when the game (like Diablo 2) was run, the monitor changed into 1280x1024 mode. That's sort of weird isn't it? That's exactly the same as before, just without the garbled desktop.

I then tried messing a bit more and discovered that the front-end and back-end active settings seem to be off. I'm guessing that the horizontal should read 1400 1400 and the verical should read 900 900. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The odd part comes when I type in these values and press apply. The monitor changes resolution and when it comes back on and i say yes to keep the new resolution changes, the values go to 1280 1280 900 900. I think that's fairly odd since the monitor itself runs fine in 1440 x 900.

I hope I've made some sense in this post, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think :)

cube
04-03-06, 05:55 AM
ok, so windows is fine at 1440*900? and the screen isn't garbled anymore?

thats good, but for diablo 2 i am afraid there doesn't seem to be any widescreen support. check the master games list on:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

anyway, at least the display is correct so you can play it with black bars on the side (correct aspect) or stretched to fit the screen right?

Drezn
04-03-06, 06:10 AM
I wasn't hoping for widescreen support in Diablo 2, I was hoping for the black bars. These don't come on and the game is run in 800x600 like normal (stretched). This seems strange as fixed aspect ratio scaling is selected doesn't it? Running in centered output does indeed center the output, but changes the resolution to 1280x1024. Also, the image seems to be stretched just as much as before, only smaller.

Another strange thing I've noticed is that selecting the aspect settings in "advanced timing" won't garble the desktop. Selecting them from the "digital flat panel settings" does however. Also, setting the front-end/back-end active gives me trouble as well. After using this to set my 1440x900 resolution to 1280 1280 1024 1024, it can't be undone. When I try to set these back to 1440 1400 900 900, the monitor stays in the lower resolution but with a larger desktop. I now have to move the mouse to the edges of the screen to move my "viewing letterbox" around on the desktop. This is resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.

This smells a bit like faulty ini files or something, I just don't know enough about it to start editing them. I could be wrong of course, only thing I'm certain of is that this is more trouble than I ever imagined it would be :(

Drezn
04-03-06, 06:22 AM
Sorry for the double post

lapino
04-06-06, 03:31 AM
Same results here. When selecting fixed aspect ratio from advanced timing, no garbled screen but not fixed aspect ratio either (still getting stretched across screen)

Drezn
04-08-06, 05:28 AM
It sucks, but I don't think we'll be able to do anything about it. It may be fixed in a future driver release or something, but I would think that depends heavily on how many people start to report having this problem. If we're only a very little handfull of people, a fix could be far away. Not a whole lot of people have taken an interest in this thread so there probably aren't a whole lot of us.

cube
04-08-06, 11:41 AM
sorry i haven't replied for a while

could you both post the refresh rate under vertical lines in advanced timing. it should read around 60.

also are there any scaling option in the monitor's own control panel?

Drezn
04-08-06, 01:29 PM
Glad to have you back, you seem to have some experience with this stuff :)

Just to make it easier (and possibly even harder), I'll post my entire advanced timing page for 1440x900...

Mode & timing: Custom values
Timind standard: Custom values
Flat panel scaling: Fixed aspect ratio scaling

-Horizontal pixels-
Front porch: 80
Back porch: 232
Sync polarity: -
Sync width: 152
Scan rate: 53.93 kHz
Dront-end active: 1440
Back-end active: 1440

-Vertical lines-
Front porch: 3
Back porch: 3
Sync polarity: +
Sync width 6
Refresh rate: 59.887 Hz
Front-end active: 900
Back-end acrive: 900

Apart from this, interlaced mode isn't checked and "pixel clock" is 106.50 Mhz

My monitor is a Viewsonic VA1912w has no OSD scaling options

LordBritish
04-10-06, 03:48 AM
I'm also having problems with anything other than "Monitor Scaling" for the Digital Flat Panel Settings on my Viewsonic vx2025wm.

There are four options for the Flat Panel Settings:
* Display adapter scaling
* Centered output
* Monitor scaling
* Fixed aspect ratio scaling

Only "Monitor Scaling" works for me.

All others produce "Out of Range" on my monitor

Apparently others are having the same issue.

I used to have an 6800 Ultra AGP connected to my vx2025wm and I had no problems with any of the 4 settings. I recently upgraded to a 7900 GTX and I've never been able to set any of the settings other than "Monitor Scaling" with the 7900 GTX.

We need to gather more information as to what the issue is !!!

I'm glad I found this thread because I was beginning to think my 7900 GTX was defective.

IQz3r0
04-11-06, 06:02 AM
I have a similar problem but I have a Fujitsu-Siemens W19-1 and a 6800GT. Anything other than monitor scaling results in garbage (oblique lines) all over the monitor (with all the drivers I've tested since December 2005 and I've tested them all). The monitor doesn't have scaling options and I'd like to play some games, which do not support widescreen, without being forced to stretched view. SO, if anyone comes up with a solution, please share.

Drezn
04-11-06, 04:35 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing what Cube has to say, he's like the guy in the know around this thread ;)

lapino
04-14-06, 07:14 AM
A little heads-up: tried the new (beta) drivers yesterday evening and noticed this:

* 'monitor scaling' can now be chosen, although no difference compared to 'display adaptor scaling'. in both modes, things are stretched (as it should be)
* 'center view' now works!!!
* 'fixed aspect ratio scaling' can now be selected, but seems to have no effect on the screen, games are still being stretched

Drezn
04-14-06, 01:08 PM
Cool. You're referring to the 84.43 drivers right? I'm downloading them right now to see how they act on my monitor...

Drezn
04-14-06, 03:03 PM
Nothing has changed for me with the new drivers. No garbled screens anymore which is a good thing, but things are still stretched. Running Diablo 2 with fixed aspect ratio scaling 1440x900 should run the game center screen with black bars around the edges the way I understand it, but it still changes the resolution to 800x600 stretched. Center image centers the image but changes the resolution to 1280x1024 still and the centered image is stretched.

timknauf
06-18-06, 12:36 AM
I've been experimenting with the 91.31 beta drivers. Bizarrely enough, it does seem possible to get a pillar-boxed image, but only on the desktop, and only in a certain way. I've detailed the steps I took in another forum:
NVIDIA Forums -> Fixed aspect ratio scaling problem (http://tinyurl.com/hdxw3)
Can anyone get any further than I did? I don't mind complicated workarounds; I really can't stand playing non-widescreen games all stretched.