PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamer USA gives Oblivion 95%!

CaptNKILL
03-20-06, 05:25 PM
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=271517

Its all summed up there :)

jAkUp
03-20-06, 05:29 PM
I think someone had the scans here earlier...

FierceDeityLink
03-20-06, 05:30 PM
I think someone had the scans here earlier...
That was from the UK edition, which was given a lower rating (though, I don't recall what the highest ever ratings were for each)...

Tygerwoody
03-20-06, 05:32 PM
"Lows: High system reqs; enemies scale to your level, lessoning the reward of character advancement."

What kind of CRAP is that? I don't want to play an RPG version of Need for Speed

Acid Rain
03-20-06, 05:46 PM
"Lows: High system reqs; enemies scale to your level, lessoning the reward of character advancement."

What kind of CRAP is that? I don't want to play an RPG version of Need for SpeedSupposedly it's carefully balanced, and not all enemies will scale much. Rats and such will be quite weak, have no fear. They did the leveling to eliminate the mounds of complaints regarding Morrowind's easyness.

This way, there's always a challenge.

CaptNKILL
03-20-06, 05:46 PM

What kind of CRAP is that? I don't want to play an RPG version of Need for Speed
It was exactly the same with Morrowind. But much less aggressive.

I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion really.

In Morrowind, if you went into one of the non-main-quest dungeons out in the wilderness, you would find enemies based on your level. If you are a level 1, you'll find maybe some weak skeletons (thatd still kick your ass at level 1) and possibly the odd ghost or lesser bonewalker. If youre a level 15 and you go into that same dungeon, you'll probably come across some Bone Lords, Greater bone walkers and stronger skeletons.

I really wish people would stop making such a huge deal out of this. Itd be totaly impossible to make a game like this any other way. Wait, no. It wouldnt be, its just that you would end up with Gothic 2. If you try to go and do anything other than the one single thing your character is doing, youre going to die. That would suck (its why i quit playing gothic 2), so Im very glad they are still using this system.

If you get a bunch of big ass weapons and armor, those are the equalizers. The leveled enemies are generated so that they are a challenge. Keep in mind that not all enemies are leveled either. Not sure how many are or arent, but in Morrowind, there were MANY non-leveled enemies that you would walk all over at high levels or get slaughtered by at low levels. They just werent around every corner, which is good.

Tygerwoody
03-20-06, 05:51 PM
It was exactly the same with Morrowind. But much less aggressive.

I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion really.

In Morrowind, if you went into one of the non-main-quest dungeons out in the wilderness, you would find enemies based on your level. If you are a level 1, you'll find maybe some weak skeletons (thatd still kick your ass at level 1) and possibly the odd ghost or lesser bonewalker. If youre a level 15 and you go into that same dungeon, you'll probably come across some Bone Lords, Greater bone walkers and stronger skeletons.

I really wish people would stop making such a huge deal out of this. Itd be totaly impossible to make a game like this any other way. Wait, no. It wouldnt be, its just that you would end up with Gothic 2. If you try to go and do anything other than the one single thing your character is doing, youre going to die. That would suck (its why i quit playing gothic 2), so Im very glad they are still using this system.

If you get a bunch of big ass weapons and armor, those are the equalizers. The leveled enemies are generated so that they are a challenge. Keep in mind that not all enemies are leveled either. Not sure how many are or arent, but in Morrowind, there were MANY non-leveled enemies that you would walk all over at high levels or get slaughtered by at low levels. They just werent around every corner, which is good.
If this is true... then no worries. :)

When i read that quote it just reminded me of Need for Speed. I worked so ****ing hard making my car fast just so I could go back and kill old noob civics. Only to find out that the old civics were just as fast as Ferrari's :rolleyes:

CaptNKILL
03-20-06, 06:01 PM
If this is true... then no worries. :)

When i read that quote it just reminded me of Need for Speed. I worked so ****ing hard making my car fast just so I could go back and kill old noob civics. Only to find out that the old civics were just as fast as Ferrari's :rolleyes:
hahaha... no no. A rat will always be a rat. This would be like if you wanted to play a track that you somehow skipped in the beginning of the game and rather than destroying civics in the first 40 feet of the race, you would be racing against ferraris that actually put up a fight :D

killahsin
03-20-06, 06:28 PM
jah the areas scale upwards so the game does not become a breeze. but there are areas of the game that do not scale, so that you can feel your power. Bethseda has always been good with this. It is basically a way of making it so the explorer, who skips a portion doesn't make that portion trivialized later on.