PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 7800GS...never using ATI again!

Intel17
03-20-06, 06:43 PM
Well, a few days ago my Radeon 9800 Pro was acting pretty damned funny, the artifacting made my computer seem like somebody had dropped an atomic bomb on it. Even in the desktop I'd get artifacting to the point where the screen was unreadable.

So, I went ahead and bought a GeForce 7800GS (the top card I could get for my rig), and it's been an absolute dream -- just like my old TI4400 was. Instantly worked right out of the box with silky smooth framerates and image quality that almost melted my eyes out with its beauty. 3x the speed of the 9800 pro from my benchies.

On top of all this, in my programs I can utilize advanced graphics features using SM3.0 and floating point blending (I'll be having a good time this coming weekend reading up on SM3.0 and how to implement HDR). Oh, and I'm sure this card can support far more complicated shaders running per pixel than my 9800 pro could!

I'm now a true Nvidia fan, and I don't think that I'll ever use ATI again. In my house we have all GeForce 2s, 3s and 4s and they work flawlessly without dying. My ATI died after two years.

Even if ATI comes out with a faster card, I've learned that Nvidias stability and overall chipset quality is unmatched. :)

I love Nvidia :D

hemmy
03-20-06, 06:46 PM
interesting

SH0DAN
03-20-06, 07:04 PM
Congrats on your purchase,good to hear !! :)

SLippe
03-20-06, 07:04 PM
That's what I like to hear! :thumbsup:

Treason
03-20-06, 07:06 PM
Glad to hear you now realize that nVidia is superior to ATi.

Strahd
03-20-06, 07:13 PM
Well, a few days ago my Radeon 9800 Pro was acting pretty damned funny, the artifacting made my computer seem like somebody had dropped an atomic bomb on it. Even in the desktop I'd get artifacting to the point where the screen was unreadable.

So, I went ahead and bought a GeForce 7800GS (the top card I could get for my rig), and it's been an absolute dream -- just like my old TI4400 was. Instantly worked right out of the box with silky smooth framerates and image quality that almost melted my eyes out with its beauty. 3x the speed of the 9800 pro from my benchies.

On top of all this, in my programs I can utilize advanced graphics features using SM3.0 and floating point blending (I'll be having a good time this coming weekend reading up on SM3.0 and how to implement HDR). Oh, and I'm sure this card can support far more complicated shaders running per pixel than my 9800 pro could!

I'm now a true Nvidia fan, and I don't think that I'll ever use ATI again. In my house we have all GeForce 2s, 3s and 4s and they work flawlessly without dying. My ATI died after two years.

Even if ATI comes out with a faster card, I've learned that Nvidias stability and overall chipset quality is unmatched. :)

Uh, not to rain on your parade here (and I use Nvidia and have SLI also), but you can't compare a 7800 to a 9800 pro. That ATI card is what? 3-5 years old or so? Try something as new with ATI before you rave about Nvidia hehe. I have had Nvidia cards die on my after I had them for a year.

Intel17
03-20-06, 07:54 PM
My real point was to illustrate how nvidia stuff just seems to work, and that nvidia did a very good job with the 7800GS.

I've never had an Nvidia card die before (as I said before, I have lots), but the second ATI card I have, became unusable (as did my first ATI -- Rage 128 pro :P).

micron
03-20-06, 08:22 PM
Uh, not to rain on your parade here , but you can't compare a 7800 to a 9800 pro.
I agree, Intel17's post left a bad tate in my mouth:wtf:

I've had a 9800Pro in a spare rig for a few years now, and am still amazed at how good it's been to me.

agentkay
03-20-06, 08:47 PM
Congrats Intel17! Its always a nice feeling to make a huge performance leap forward! :D

keith33
03-20-06, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the green team Intel17. Congrats on the new 7800. What brand did you end buying? How does it overclock?

Salamandar
03-21-06, 07:18 AM
Super Green :D

Redphoenix
03-21-06, 10:08 AM
I've owned the following ATI cards:

Rage 128 pro
Radeon 8500 pro
Radeon 9500np x3
Radeon 9700 pro
Radeon 9800 Pro

With the exception of the Rage 128, not one of these cards lasted for more than 8 months before giving up the ghost. The 9800 series in particular seemed to be pretty bad, you only have to look at the amount of faulty 9800's for sale on ebay to know there was something seriously wrong with the design of that card. Lost count of the amount of "My 9800 just died" threads around the web.

By contrast, the only Nvidia card I have ever had die on me was a ti4200 that I killed by trying to remove a ramsink, and damaging the chip. :-(

I'd still buy ATI if the price was right, but I wouldnt plan on being able to keep the card for long.

mustrum
03-21-06, 10:22 AM
Just because your 9800 died you can't blame ATI.
I had 3 6800 Ultras die to 3 different defects within a year while i never had a dead ATI card even though i vmodded them!

Currently i switched back to the red side after having loads of nvidia cards lately.
IMO both brands have nice cards and there'sa llways batches of cards that die more often then others. (6600 GT 1st batch comes into mind!!!)

pkirby11
03-21-06, 12:31 PM
I think a lot of it also has to do with how you use the card, I have a 9600 Pro running in a server and I've had the card for 4 years now. I think things like over clocking, cooling, and PSU's all play a part in how stable your card will be over the next few years. But to be honest, besides fans going out I've never lost an ATI or NVIDIA card.

ReDxKiNG
03-21-06, 01:44 PM

I am in the EXACT predicament that you were/are in.. Only difference being that im on a 9700pro...After reading your post you have influenced me even more to go get a 7800gs ...BTW which brand did you get? Also How much bigger than the 9700/9800pro is the 7800gs? I would hate to get this card only to find out it doesnt fit in my case :(

xorbe
03-21-06, 03:59 PM
It's a good card, but don't get too fanatical; all cards migrate to "legacy" eventually, and nVidia cards aren't exempt from dying, I know...

But they do seem to "just work", except for the 7900/7600/7300 + Linux presently.

Intel17
03-21-06, 04:49 PM
I am in the EXACT predicament that you were/are in.. Only difference being that im on a 9700pro...After reading your post you have influenced me even more to go get a 7800gs ...BTW which brand did you get? Also How much bigger than the 9700/9800pro is the 7800gs? I would hate to get this card only to find out it doesnt fit in my case :(

The board was pretty damned long, I didn't think it'd fit, but it fit -- just barely though. I'm almost sure it'd fit in your setup though (I have an ancient chasis, one of the first P4 compatable ones from 2000 and it fit :p).

I bought a PNY card, not OC. To be honest, I didn't know much about the actual board vendor. I just walked into CompUSA and bought the cheapest 7800GS (the other board was a $30 more expensive OC BFG, but I don't trust pre overclocked stuff). The card, as I said, was a dream to install and is now working absolutely beautifully, so I don't hesitate reccomending it.

Lesterp
03-22-06, 10:44 AM
nVidia driver functionality has always been its advantage over ATI, the power and quality of each companies hardware goes back and forth like a tennis ball. I switch on a regular basis. Since I only buy used cards (got over my early adoption and the related finacial penalty problem way back when i paid $350 for a 32mb GTS2) I buy whatever gives me the most bang for the buck. In the past year I have gone unlocked 6800nu to unlocked X800GTO now to 7800GT and while performance and image quality is great for me regardless of brand, nVidia's drivers and their hardware's ability to do dual monitor configs etc. is just plain better.

chiLLZ
03-22-06, 12:42 PM
I have never had a video card die on me and just go for the best performance/price cards.

The only bad card that I have had was a Kyro II based card I cant remember what it was, thing was really slow and dident even support HW T&L.

Both ATI and nVidia drivers are ok now but when I had the ATI rage 128 card ATI drivers were bad back then. You had to change the driver every time you played a different game.

cvearl
03-22-06, 01:59 PM
Uh, not to rain on your parade here (and I use Nvidia and have SLI also), but you can't compare a 7800 to a 9800 pro. That ATI card is what? 3-5 years old or so? Try something as new with ATI before you rave about Nvidia hehe. I have had Nvidia cards die on my after I had them for a year.

ROFLMAO!!!

Ya that was a stupid conclusion from the OP. That's like going from a Geforce 5700 Ultra to an X1800XL and saying ... geez I'll never buy nVidia again. This X1800XL is da bomb.

Hahahaha.

Intel17
03-22-06, 04:12 PM
Did I ever once say something along the lines of I will never buy ATI again because nVidia performs better?

cvearl
03-22-06, 06:26 PM
Did I ever once say something along the lines of I will never buy ATI again because nVidia performs better?

Actually I hope you enjoy your new card!

You have to admit. You made ATI sound lame when really you could not be further from the truth. I have had more nVidia cards die on me in my PC building experiences over the years than I have had ATI. And ya. Duh. The G7 GPU has more features than an ATI card from 3 generations ago.

I love both companies though. They both have thier strengths and weeknesses. But if you are an nVidia fan, great! Sorry if I rained on your parade.

Examples of nVidia problems...

No AA in HDR mode. Shimmering in distant textures in a number of games I play regardless of driver settings.

Current ATI problems include...

Running Hot and loud coolers.

Neither product is perfect. Just read through these forums. It's about equal between the two in terms of compatability and stability. Between my X800XL and my 7800GT, I have had a few more visual problems or instabilities in my latest 12 or so games this last 3 months on the 7800GT than on my X800XL. In the end everyone's experience is different I guess.

I had a 9800Pro for a few years and not one problem in dozens and dozens of Video apps and games. It was the best of it's day with NO equal.

Sorry yours fried. It happens. Hell even a Toyota 4 Runner has died early from time to time. It happens to the best of em.

Your opinion came across as grossly 1 sided is all.

C.