PDA

View Full Version : PCI-Express on its way out....

loafer87gt
03-21-06, 11:41 AM
Or so it soon will be if everything follows murphy's law. I finally bit the bullet and replaced ordered a Opteron / DFI-Lanparty Expert NF4 SLI board to replace my Dual Xeons / Asus NCCH-DL setup. With the past luck I have had buying systems I predict that now that I have made the move over to PCI-E (fighting tooth and nail all the way I might add) that some geniuses in the near future are going to announce a new video card standard, thus rendering my system obsolete once again. :)

Anyways, I decided to go for a single XFX 7900GTX card, paired with the Opty and the DFI board. I am going to salvage my Raptor from my old machine to use as a boot drive, and set up my two barracudas in RAID 1 for my data storage. I am also going to pull my 2 x 1024 Corsair C2 Twinx modules for use in the new system. For display, I am sticking with my Dell 2405 panel.

Does anyone see any sort of glaring problems that I am going to run into with this build? I am kind of unsure as to what sort of video performance increase I am going to notice. I don't think it will be quite as impressive as the move from my old GF256 to the 9700Pro, but the 7900GTX should be quite a bit quicker than my old 6800GT, especially in higher resolutions. It will be be nice to turn some eye candy on in newer games once again...

I am really going to miss my dually ES Xeons though :(

SavagePaladin
03-21-06, 06:26 PM
Honestly, you may be on to something..or you may be on something. It's hard to say.

The reason PCI lasted as long as it did is it went through many generations.

PCI Express, though, seems to have a design that improved bandwidth without improving latency at all, providing a stumbling block for many types of cards migrating.

So we'll see. Maybe it'll just move up to "PCI Express 2.0" before we see it rise from the standstill it's at now.

hemmy
03-21-06, 06:37 PM
The Inquirer posted a long time ago about PCI Express 2, but...look how often they are right

loafer87gt
03-21-06, 07:16 PM
Bahh - NM. You guys are safe. I cancelled my order after finding out that Corsair 1 Gig 3200 Cas 2 modules don't work with the NF4 motherboards. :(

I give up trying to put together a custom system. Too much futzing around trying to find which components work with which, inevitably finding out that one componet which works great product A will not work with product B.

What a friggen joke PC standards are.

cvearl
03-22-06, 02:05 PM
Bahh - NM. You guys are safe. I cancelled my order after finding out that Corsair 1 Gig 3200 Cas 2 modules don't work with the NF4 motherboards. :(

I give up trying to put together a custom system. Too much futzing around trying to find which components work with which, inevitably finding out that one componet which works great product A will not work with product B.

Sorry to see you are having trouble.

Personally I rarely have any issue and I custom build 2 PC's a year on average and don't really run into these issues. But whatever.

I do not believe however that 1GB PC3200 Corsairs simply don't work on NF4 boards. It's more likely that that BRAND of board as some problem with the sticks.

C.

Morrow
03-22-06, 02:17 PM
I do not believe however that 1GB PC3200 Corsairs simply don't work on NF4 boards. It's more likely that that BRAND of board as some problem with the sticks.

They work just fine on NF4 boards however only at CAS 2.5 speeds

superklye
03-22-06, 02:17 PM
The Inquirer posted a long time ago about PCI Express 2, but...look how often they are right
No, see, that's the thing...they're ALWAYS right. Because they post EVERYTHING, they've always got the right story somewhere.

Redeemed
03-22-06, 02:44 PM
WHY DID YOU CANCEL THE ORDER????? You could have then shipped it to me when it arrived!!! I'd be MORE Than glad to take that unfortunate burden of an upgrade off of your hands! ;) :D :D ;)

j/k

Well, my 6800GT on a s754 3700 with cheap-o 1 gig of ram is doing fine in games. Not sure why your "older" rig would be doing any worse.

chiLLZ
03-22-06, 03:05 PM

Yeh i hate the way 754 came out and then suddenly its 939 and next 940. You upgrade one day and then before the thing is even installed it outdated. Wast of $$$ :thumbdwn:

superklye
03-22-06, 03:07 PM
Yeh i hate the way 754 came out and then suddenly its 939 and next 940. You upgrade one day and then before the thing is even installed it outdated. Wast of $$$ :thumbdwn:
It's not like 939 was a shock to anyone...they made it known that was coming out for some time and that was going to be THE socket to have for the forseeable future...