PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a Core! Am I a total idiot!?

npras42
03-21-06, 10:49 AM
Well for some crazy reason I decided to buy an XBOX 360. A surprising move for me since I'm definitely more of a PS2 person than an XBOX person but I really want to play GRAW and I like the look of some upcoming games.

Well anyway, I bought the core in the end (online - I will receive it tomorrow morning). Reasons why: I think MS have crippled the HDD a little bit, I really don't care about using wired controllers and the memory unit was free with the core package in a special offer.

The HDD (from what I have read) can basically be used to store downloads such as demos, marketplace games, extra maps and save games, plus allows backwards compatibilty.

Well I don't plan on downloading demos or marketplace games. Extra maps would be nice but I can always fit a couple on the memory unit. If I run out of space for stuff like that it will be a shame but I wouldn't call it the end of the world.

Mostly, I would have loved to put my MP3s and other music on my X360, but as I understand it, that isn't possible without re-ripping everything. On the other hand, an MP3 player such as my old Creative 4GB can be connected easily, and music streamed off it fairly seamlessly. In the end it seems far more worthwhile to put my old MP3 player to use when it hasn't been touched in about a year.

I don't have an XBOX and I don't really want to play any of the old games. I've played through Halo 1 & 2 and a lot of Ninja Gaiden. There's not much else that really attracts me. So this feature is pointless for me too.

I like the idea of wireless controllers but they are quite expensive right now, and not worth it. I bought an extra official wired controller off ebay for half the price the wireless ones were selling for. Again I'll live without for now.

I don't need a headset, I don't want to talk to all the screaming kids on Live. Maybe one day...

I don't need the HD Component cables. I am going to use it on my PC monitor for now, so I bought a VGA cable.

All-in-all this whole package cost me 340 with 3 games - Fight Night Round 3, GRAW and a pre-order on Oblivion which should arrive to me the day before release in the UK on Thurs. If I had bought the Premium pack with an extra wired controller, VGA cable and the same 3 games, it would have cost 440!
__________________________________________________ _______

I'm not really sure why I made this thread... I think its because I surprised myself when I bought the core. When I first heard about this core and premium package I thought to myself, 'what idiot is going to buy the core? What a total waste.' However, as soon as the memory card became part of the core deal, it's appeal just soared for me.

So waht do you think? If the core included the mem card everytime like it did on my purchase, would you still have gone for premium?

BioHazZarD
03-21-06, 10:55 AM
yes the premium is nice since you get a HD which even if you dont need you cant go wrong with it and downloading demos and storing music is cool.

npras42
03-21-06, 10:59 AM
Well I'm certainly not going to argue with you, this isn't a thread made so people can flame me or for me to flame others. Its just my opinion, and in my situation I think I made the right choice.

saturnotaku
03-21-06, 11:02 AM
Who's anyone to argue since you made a purchase that you believed best fit your needs? In your situation, I probably would have done the same.

ENU291
03-21-06, 11:02 AM
The HD for the Xbox360 is way overpriced (At $100) but I think it will definitely enhance your LIVE experience in the future. Downloading game demos, movie trailers and music videos in high def is a sweet bonus for HD owners. If you factor in all the extras you get with the Premium package (HD, wireless controller, headset etc) you'll see it's the better deal.

Ruined
03-21-06, 11:09 AM
Personally I still wouldn't have bought the core with a free memory card, not by a long shot.

A memory card can only hold 2-3 XBOX Live Arcade games.

Plus, some games load faster if you have the hard drive attached by using caching (Oblivion for instance).

And of course, my old XBOX games wouldn't work.

Plus, after saved games inevitably eat up the first memory card, a second one costs $40 - yikes.

ArturNOW
03-21-06, 11:23 AM
It's good decision if M$ is going to release bigger HDD.

evilchris
03-21-06, 11:44 AM
It's good decision if M$ is going to release bigger HDD.
HAHAHAAH!! "M$" is that like Micro$oft?? Like the $ as in dollars, but as an "S"? HAHAHA, cuz they make lotsa money right?? So "M$" HAHAHAHA

Lil Sassy
03-21-06, 11:55 AM
LOL!!!LOL!!11 Hey Chris, Chris..check this out...$tarBUCK$ !!!111!!!111!11oneoneone!!! LOLZZZ

Npras42, your system is fine will cost you more in the future if you need to go get the accessories, but for now you can still have fun. The hard drive will cut down on DVD disk reads though and after the initial cache to the hd, loads will be much faster. Even if you don't download updates and games, I'd still get one later.

Also, don't forget that the core only comes with a composite AV cable, so no HD picture for you whatsoever. That is the tragic part to me.

Ooops, got to the bottom of your post. VGA for the win. It works well if you configure your monitor properly. Only brainless monkeys are dealing with any real color washout.

DJMONDY
03-22-06, 02:39 AM
I bought a core pack on day 1 of release in the uk and i dont think im an idiot.

The thing was there were no premiums available when i preordered and tbh i just wanted a 360 no matter what. i didnt really care what pack i had or if it had a certain cable or a chrome tray or whatever i just wanted whichever i could get my hands on rather than wait....and it would have been a long wait too!

I had the core pack, hdd, pdz, kameo, nfsmw and a vga cable on day one so i was sorted and ive never looked back.

Also ive never had any problems with my system and i hope i never do.

The 360 is awsome and i can tell you now that your gonna love fnr3 and graw their both amazing!!

msxyz
03-22-06, 04:15 AM
To answer the original question... no.

I purchased a core back at launch, along with a VGA cable, a memory card and two games. I still think I did the right think because: I didn't needed the HDTV cables (I still had to purchase the VGA adapter) and the wireless controller requires a separeately sold charger that costs as much as the memory card.

I purchased only recently an hard drive looking forward to games like Oblivion but otherwise I didn't find its lack frustrating. Unless you plan to purchase a lot of Live! Arcade games or use your Xbox to watch trailers the benefits of a HD are minimal. Some games might load a little faster but that's all.