PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA/BFGTech CPU Scaling in Games

FrgMstr
03-21-06, 11:06 AM
I thought this might be an [H] article that would interest you guys and create some discussion as it is centered around GeForce video cards.

CPUs & Real-World Gameplay Scaling (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwMiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA)
What do different video cards and CPUs mean to gamers in World of Warcraft, F.E.A.R., Battlefield 2, and Call of Duty 2? We played all the games with 6 different CPUs and 4 different video cards to find out the difference in real-world gameplay.

I would love to get your feedback on the whole way the "real-world" stuff sits with you guys now days. Thanks for your time.

tieros
03-21-06, 02:41 PM
Interesting article, but I don't think a strict numerical analysis of dual-core vs. single core processors tells the full story. There is a subjective component to it as well. I notice that things are "smoother" on my x2 3800 than they were on my single core 3500. There may be some way to measure it (framerate deviation?), but it's there none the less.

There are also a few games out there that play a lot better with dual-core processors. The difference in City of Heroes/Villains between single and dual cores was amazing. There was also another huge performance leap going from a 2.0GHz to 2.4GHz clock on my x2 3800.

I've heard Quake4 gets a nice boost from dual-core, too, but I haven't tried it personally.

That was a TON of data that you guys collected. Excellent job!!!

hemmy
03-21-06, 05:39 PM
That is why the graph shows every frame

FrgMstr
03-21-06, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback!!