PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion on the 360 (my review)

Pages : [1] 2

Zelda_fan
03-21-06, 11:12 AM
Ok guys, I just got ahold of my Oblivion CE for the 360, and this thread is specifically for the people with 360s so they know how Oblivion performs.

Give me some time with the game and I'll post my full review in this thread.

---EDIT----
MY FULL REVIEW

(Keep in mind this review pertains to the 360 not the PC)

GAME: Xbox 360 version of Oblivion: Collecter's Editioni

What's in the box:

-Oblivion DVD
-Making of Oblivion DVD
-Septium replica coin
-Instruction manual
-Leather-bound Pocket guide to the empire
-glossy paper fold out map
-a couple "please register" card crap

Here is a nice picture taken by evil_chris which perfectly displays the contents of the collector's edition:
http://www.evilchris.net/images/obliv360.JPG

GAMEPLAY:

So, SO, much has been improved control-wise from Morrowind. First off is the hotkeys which correspond to the eight different directional buttons on the d-pad. You can assign ANYTHING to these hotkeys, and trust me, you will be useing them a lot. Need to drink a quick health potion? Assign it to the d-pad. Need to quickly change from a fireball spell to a restore health spell? Assign it to the d-pad. Need to quickly apply a poision to a weapon? Assign it to the d-pad. You get the idea.

The magic system is phenominal. Magic is now available for immediate use in ANY situation. Press the RB on the controller, and it will immediatly case the spell you have currently selected. You can also cast a spell and use a weapon AT THE SAME TIME. When you combine this with the fact that you can hotswitch spells via the d-pad, it makes combat a lot more strategic and tacticle. For example, say you are fighting with a sword and shield, and your health is low. Just use the d-pad to select a restoration spell, and bam, you're healed. Or suppose you just got nailed with a nasty damage-over-time effect. Just select dispel from the d-pad and bam, you are dispeled. The possibilities are endless.

Most RPGs whether or not you will hit is based around your character statistics. In Oblivion, however, combat is kenetic and more like a FPS. If your weapon/spell/arrow/etc makes physical contact with your opponent, it WILL damage him. Your stats determine how much that damage is. Blocking is the same way. If you move your shield in front of his sword, it WILL block it. Whether or not you are able to stand firm after that block is determined by your block skill.

Physics are well integrated into the game. Let's say, for example, you are fighting a skeleton. If on your death blow, you swing from the right and connect with his side, the skeleton will go flying in the direction you swung and some of his bones will separate and fly around the room accordingly. This get's really fun when you use powerful spells, where a large fireball will send a group of enemies flying. It is also entertaining to go into a book shop and launch a very large fireball into a bookshelf. The wares will go flying and the bookkeeper will turn and give you a nasty look.

Oblivion has a stealth system that is very similar to the Thief series. Lighting conditions, the sound that your armor makes, and your stealth skill all goes into factor if the enemy can detect you or not. If you hit the enemy while you are undetected you get an attach bonus (the amount of that bonus depends on your stealth skill - I believe a 100 in stealth grants a 6x bonus to melee and 3x to bow attacks).

Overall the core game play is very polished, and a lot of fun. A very enjoyable game in this regard.

STORY, QUESTS, AND CHARACTERS
In comparison to Morrowind, the quests are a lot more innovative. I've played about five hours of the main quest, and so far it is well done and engaging.

The side quests really set this game apart. There are literally hundreds of side quests, and most of them are incredible. They are all very different, and will take you to unique places, and have you accomplish unique objectives. For example, in one quest I had to enter someone's dream via an amulet to wake him up. In another quest, I had to cast four spells in a certain order on a pillar to reveal an entrance to an ancient Elvin ruin.

Character design is a lot better than Morrowind, but not quite as good as something like Baldur's Gate II. This is forgivable considering the scope of this game. Each NPC has a unique feel to the point of that, you care about them and want to help them. This is amazing considering that there are over 1000 unique NPCs in this game to talk to.

GRAPHICS

Graphics are amazing, but you really need a high resolution display capable of accepting 720p. The game look gorgeous in 720p. Graphically, it's the best game yet on the 360, and there are points where you just stare at the scenery for a couple of minutes in awe. Once while the moon was out at night, I gazed at the stars and launched a fireball and it looked like a meteor sailing off into the distance. It's a beautiful game and you won't be let down.

It of course isn't perfect. Yes, the game uses low res textures in the distance, yes, havok items don't cast shadows, and yes, you will see foliage fade in from the distance, but none of it is obtrusive and it doesnít take away from the game's beauty at all. Bottom line - this is a beautiful game.

SOUND

The musical score is excellent. I would rank it ever so slightly below Zelda (and considering how much I love Zelda that is saying something). Makes you feel like you're in a Lord of the Rings movie or something.

The sounds effects are for the most part pretty good, but once in a while you will find a lame one. The horse-gallop sound, for example, sounds lame. However, those are few and far between, and 99% of the effects are immersive and draw you into Oblivion's environment.

WORLD DESIGN
The over world is on par with World of Warcraft to give you an idea of how vast this game is. It's like an MMORPG without the online. It will take YEARS to properly explore all that Oblivion's world has to offer.

City design is excellent. I think there are seven major cities, and one capitol city, and a several tiny towns littered throughout the world. The capitol city is VAST and has towering fortified walls, and an epic tower in the center stretching at least a thousand feet high. The major cities are very large, and have every thing you think of including town halls, chapels, guilds, merchants, and houses for private citizens. Each city has a unique feel to it. For example, one city was culturally refined and had gardens and wealthy buildings. Another city was poor, and consisted of buildings built out of wooden planks.

Dungeon design is PHENOMINAL. There are around 200 unique dungeons to explore, and each and every one of them are unique. There are booby traps all over the place, and I honestly feel like Indiana Jones as I'm exploring them. And almost always there is a nice reward at the end of each dungeon to make it worth your while. Once I pulled a lever and up from the middle of the room came a platform with a glistening helmet on it. EXCELLENT design.

A I
RaidentAI isn't "OMG HOLY SMOKE!", but it is a very large step towards that direction.

Each NPC IS goal driven, and they will surprise you from time to time. For example, in one quest I was about to raid a castle that had been taken by daedra. Just before I launch the assault, a couple imperial guards ride up on horseback and tell me they saw smoke from the distance and asked what they can do to help. In another instance, I followed an NPC around for a day to see if she was spying on another NPC. Turns out she wasn't spying on anyone, but she did eat three meals a day, work the vineyards, and stop and talk to her friends along the way.

Bottom line RadientAI adds a new dimension to the game play that hasn't existed in any other game.

COLLECTER'S EDITION EXTRAS

In my opinion the collectorís edition is worth it.

First of all you get a nice bronze septum coin. Before I got the game I had my reservations about this coin, but it is actually pretty cool. It honestly looks like something a REAL government would mint. It has a nice weight and design to it, and a very authentic feel.

The Pocket Guide to the Empire is very well done. It is leather bound, and feels like something that would actually be printed around that time. It is a nice read Ė well over a hundred pages and contains interesting information about the Empire.

The Making of Oblivion DVD is great too. Iíve only watched one-third of it, but you learn a lot of interesting details about how the game was made. Itís very similar to a special you might see on the History channel. One cool thing concerning the art direction - there were some places in Washington DC that looked JUST LIKE certain areas in the game. It was neat to see that pointed out in the video.

So for $10 extra you get all that. I say go for it.

TECHNICAL ISSUES

Get a hard drive. If you don't have a hard drive the game will load slower and hitch a little whenever you open up a menu. Other than that, the XBOX 360 delivers silky smooth performance indoors and outdoors.

A note to people who use the VGA cable. There is a bug in the game that screws up the scaling when you use 1280x1024. It displays in 4:3 instead of widescreen and looks a little blurred. However, this can be fixed by using 1024x768. Yes, that isn't true 720p, but it looks great and uses the correct aspect ratio. Hopefully Bethesda can release a patch via xbox live to fix this minor problem.

OVERALL

The game isnít perfectly polished, but it is incredibly fun. Iíve played it for 12 hours so far (Iíve had the last two days off from work), and I have yet to experience a dull moment. It has an occasional flaw here and there, but it innovates and pushes the envelope in so many ways that Iím going to give it a 9.6 out of 10.

Zelda_fan
03-21-06, 12:22 PM
INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

Controls: Very intuitive and well polished on the 360 controller. Head over heels better than morrowind.

Voice Acting: quite possibly the best voice acting I've heard in a game. Then again, all I've heard so far is Patrick Stewart, so that is to be expected. We'll see how the acting continues as the game progresses

Graphics: Overall graphics are nice. Everything is normal mapped. Textures are a little on the low-res side, but the normal mapping MORE than makes up for this. There are no "flat surfaces" whatsoever, and you honestly don't even notice the low-res textures. And when I say low-res, I don't mean terrible, just a little lower than perfect. AA is used on the 360 (I would say about 4xAA) and I don't see any texture crawling either.

Sound: seamless is about the only word I can use to describe it.

evilchris
03-21-06, 12:23 PM
What display are you running this on?

Zelda_fan
03-21-06, 01:00 PM
my Computer LCD. Strangely enough, it will NOT run in widescreen aspect, and I have a feeling that is causing the game to stretch the image improperly, which is astounding given that this game looks THIS GOOD already.

Banko
03-21-06, 01:26 PM
So one thing I want to know is simply this is the game actually good? Because Morrowind was the most boring RPG I have ever played in my life, actuall I never liked the Elder Scroll series to be honest with you. Fallout 1,2, Planescape: Torment so far not a single RPG has been better then those.

Ghosthunter
03-21-06, 02:10 PM
Yeah I am curious too...I loved Fallout and Torment and some old classics..never was a huge fan of Morrowind but was thinking of picking up Oblivion

msxyz
03-21-06, 02:24 PM
If you absolutely loved Fallout and Torment for their unique and deep approach to CRPGs, then you might end up a little disappointed in Oblivion.

I think The Elder Scrolls have evolved more into a "graphic adventure" /Sandbox type of game rather than a pure RPG. And not only because of the first person perspective or realtime combat. From what I read, the quests are still very straightforward and the outcome is always the same. Plus, roleplay is actually very limited to trivial problems unlike the complex multi-faced approach to quest that other RPGs offered (Fallout, but also Vampire Bloodlines in the early missions are perfect examples of what true "roleplay" is)

I liked Morrowind and I will probably enjoy Oblivion too but I wouldn't call them a true RPG as exploration IS the most important aspect of TES games but other than that they don't provide a solid roleplaying experience.

Acid Rain
03-21-06, 03:28 PM
my Computer LCD. Strangely enough, it will NOT run in widescreen aspect, and I have a feeling that is causing the game to stretch the image improperly, which is astounding given that this game looks THIS GOOD already.So you've got tall, skinny people? Hmm, that sucks.

I know going away from native is no fun, but I read that people with this problem fix it by selecting 1024x768/standard in the dashboard, which properly introduces the letterboxing. Hope that helps you.

Zelda_fan
03-21-06, 05:10 PM
So you've got tall, skinny people? Hmm, that sucks.

I know going away from native is no fun, but I read that people with this problem fix it by selecting 1024x768/standard in the dashboard, which properly introduces the letterboxing. Hope that helps you.

no, it dosen't stretch it, but I would just rather have it in widescreen aspect.

Zelda_fan
03-21-06, 05:39 PM
So you've got tall, skinny people? Hmm, that sucks.

You want to know the wierd thing? I changed it to 1024x768 and that fixed ALL MY PROBLEMS. It ran in proper 1280x1024 (the picture was MUCH sharper) and had the correct aspect ratio. It's almost like bethesda swapped the 1024x768 setting with the 1280x1024. Graphics are a NIGHT AND DAY difference. The textures are now perfectly sharp and every thing looks great.

Acid Rain
03-21-06, 08:49 PM
Hey Zelda, did you verify the resolution with your monitor's OSD, or does it just happen to look good even at 1024x768, perhaps? If it is as you say, that's really weird.

Either way, I am really glad it looks better for you now. :)

ENU291
03-21-06, 09:19 PM
I played a few hours of Oblivion and found a few quirks. Aiming arrows and spells with the game pad is a painful experience. PC gamers are going to have an easier time with this. While on horse back you can not attack but you can BE attacked by enemies. So annoying. While a wolf or a bear is chewing on your leg you have to jump off the horse and then attack. By this time the bear pretty much has your entire leg in his mouth.(naw) :fu: :p ;)

evilchris
03-21-06, 11:53 PM
How is 360 performance? Does it feel portish or does it feel like it's at home on the platform?

PeterJensen
03-22-06, 12:17 AM
How is 360 performance? Does it feel portish or does it feel like it's at home on the platform?

No problems at all. Not a singel "lag" so far.

evilchris
03-22-06, 12:25 AM
I've got the 360 CE right here but have a 5 min attention span, been moving in etc. I don't want to throw it in and rush through anything. Gonna wait till the weekend. :(

BTW what's everyone's coin?

Mine is:

PRAISE BE AKATOSH

AND ALL THE DIVINE

then

THE EMPIRE IS LAW

THE LAW IS SACRED

PeterJensen
03-22-06, 12:27 AM
I've got the 360 CE right here but have a 5 min attention span, been moving in etc. I don't want to throw it in and rush through anything. Gonna wait till the weekend. :(

:(

demonized
03-22-06, 02:01 AM
If the game starts to become a slideshow for you guys, here's a fix.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10531/Oblivion-Fragmented-Cache-Data-Fix/

I thought my xbox was broke until i saw this fix.

ENU291
03-22-06, 09:13 AM
Actually the 360 version plays really well. There is the occasional half second stutter (ala F.E.A.R.) when walking outdoors but nothing to distracting. What I can tell you is if you decide to run around outdoors and stray off the beaten path (cutting cross country) the stutter gets really bad. Another thing is that using the digital control pad for quick keys is great and all but trying to use spells or weapons attached to the diagonal points in the middle of a battle is pure frustration. My advice is to map all the really important items or spells to the up, down, left or right d-pad controls.

Mr Fujisawa
03-22-06, 10:37 AM
its beginning to sound like the 360 one might be the best performer, and u get both aa and hdr. i will do some testing tomorrow when i have both versions

Tygerwoody
03-22-06, 10:44 AM
I was going to comment, but I don't feel like feeding the trolls today. :thumbdwn:

Mr Fujisawa
03-22-06, 11:03 AM
I was going to comment, but I don't feel like feeding the trolls today. :thumbdwn:

i dont see any trolling comments, apart from yours :o

ENU291
03-22-06, 11:29 AM
Who's trolling?? :confused:

Acid Rain
03-22-06, 11:30 AM
Not to mention he had no point to make besides the one little quip. ;)

I have yet to try it, but I've decided to break down today. :( Girly said let's do it, even if she doesn't have her time off started yet, so I geuss I'll go get the goods. :)

From the many videos I've seen, the 360 really does appear to render Oblivion as well as the highest of the high end PCs, in terms of frame rate consistency. The drawback, no real control over the graphics. Good thing they are stunning out of the box.

evilchris
03-22-06, 01:25 PM

QFT

shinrai
03-22-06, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

Being from Australia i got my 360 12:01am this morning and played Oblivion for about 2 hrs. I'm running through vga (1360 x 768) to a 50" Fujitsu plasma.

Graphically: WOW! HDR is way better implemented than what i was expecting. It truly makes this game beautiful (Loved that torch). The use of AA of a godsend, particularly being on a 50" plasma.

Like others, i am not having any graphically issues at all. A few millisecond pauses for some loading and that's it. Inside, the frames are smooth as. Outside it is roughly the same case but slows a little when looking at a geometrically challenging temple (for example).

Damn i'm glad the gameplay is a step above MW.

Thanks Bestheda. :)