PDA

View Full Version : Jump now or after Vista?

The WOLF
03-21-06, 12:29 PM
I've got the funds set aside and only really upgrade video cards every other year. The 7900 GTX is looking really sweet and the prices aren't bad.

BUT - am I going to need a new video card after Vista is released? Sure, the current games will play on it (most likely) because it should support DirectX 9... but what DirectX will Vista have... Direct X 10.

So the question is, do I get another DirectX 9 card now (thats much faster than my 6800 Ultra) or should I wait until Vista gets here and get a Direct X 10 card?

tieros
03-21-06, 12:56 PM
It will be at least a year, probably closer to two years, before anything comes out that requires hardware support for DX10 features.

You probably won't be able to run one of the 3DMark 07 tests, but that's hardly worth waiting months to buy a new card.

Vista will look and run exactly the same on any DX9 or higher hardware, and will probably run just fine on DX8 cards except for a little eye candy that most people will disable anyway :D

IMHO, the only reason NOT to get a 7900 now is that they are in such high demand that price breaks from vendors are not likely. But I definitely wouldn't give up my 7900GT for two weeks to save 20 bucks. I guess I'm addicted :D

SH64
03-21-06, 03:19 PM
Jump NOW .. Vista is taking a while to come out & even when it does you're going to wait further to evaluate it for compatability bugs & performance of the new gener cards.

hemmy
03-21-06, 05:38 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1362

a12ctic
03-21-06, 07:44 PM
Why even buy vista its gona be crap? No opengl=nothx

|JuiceZ|
03-21-06, 08:04 PM
The world will go on before and after vista eventually comes out. Go ahead and upgrade.

nutball
03-22-06, 01:49 AM

Vista will have OpenGL (MS changed their minds, read around).

a12ctic
03-22-06, 08:22 AM
Vista will have OpenGL (MS changed their minds, read around).
Oh... *Sighs in Relief* this would be a big step down for the opengl community, and would make it much less efficient....

Dazz
03-22-06, 04:29 PM
OpenGL is dead, for games anyway apart from the Doom 3/Q4 engine there hasn't been anyothers.

Richteralan
03-22-06, 04:32 PM

Can you read?
Vista has OpenGL ALWAYS!

Previously OpenGL can't work together with Aero. If you want to get OpenGL window support you need to turn off Aero, and that's it.

P.S. or you just a *nux fanatic?:rolleyes:

john19055
03-22-06, 04:40 PM
The way I look at it there is always going to be something better down the road once you upgrade,so yo just have to take the plung and hope it last a while ,but I don't think you could go wrong getting a 7900GT ,and then another for SLI setup,and even X1900XT is a great card to buy if you want a single card set up ,or cross fire is nice but is more of a hassle then SLI to set up.

scott123
03-22-06, 08:28 PM
Why anyone would want to purchase the 1st run of DX10 cards is beyond me. Its like purchasing a revision #1 motherboard of a totally new design. We all know what happends (A7N8X ring a bell....can't do 400MHz). The 1st run of DX10 cards will be exactly that....the 1st revision. My guess is some mistakes will be made as well as claims that can't be met (remember the FX series of cards?). DX10 won't be a big deal for a while, and a DX10 card is not required for Vista.

Get a 7900GTX or 1900XTX and be happy.

agentkay
03-22-06, 08:43 PM
Its as simple as this.... if the DX10 cards will pwn the last DX9 cards even in DX9 games and benchmarks (which is kind of obvious), it makes absolutely NO SENSE NOT to buy them, especially because they will be more futureproof. Sure the 2nd or 3rd gen DX10 cards will be even faster and have better implentation (sp?) of SM4.0 but again, thats obvious. Crysis, Cryteks next big FPS, will be released around Q4 2006 and Q1 2007 and will already support DX10 cards. That game alone is a reason for me why I will buy a first gen DX10 card.

a12ctic
03-22-06, 11:01 PM
According to my local newspaper (chicago tribune) vista has been delayed to late next spring...

WCG
03-22-06, 11:59 PM
it's spreading, delayed... with the prices of cards these days, I can only afford like the last generation and midrange lol currently have a BFG 6800 OC.... almost time for an upgrade... @least it plays oblivion... (yay 50th post)