PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion PC Initial Gameplay / Performance Impressions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Ninjaman09
03-21-06, 01:11 PM
OK well I took a long lunchbreak today to play through the tutorial and tweak the graphics settings to my liking, and now that I'm back at the office, I know that the rest of the work day will be torture. I was blown away by how much more immersive and interesting the initial story phase of the game is when compared to Morrowind, and I was just about to exit the tutorial phase when I had to go back (arrgg).

First off, the character creation system is the best I've ever seen. Your character's appearance is completely tweakable. No more ugly, deformed freak characters like in the last TES game. I spend about 20 minutes playing around with all the different sliders. There are almost TOO many options!

The game throws you into the main plot right away with an excellent scripted sequence featuring Emperor Uriel Septim and his bodyguards. I won't say anything about the story but the voice acting is spectacular. Patrick Stewart is great, of course, but the bodyguards are voiced expertly as well.

You are slowly introduced to the gameplay mechanics by tip popups and simple combat with rather overgrown rats. I had a great deal of fun blasting the nasty things with my fireballs. I spent the rest of the time getting acquainted with the inventory management system, which is at first a little daunting but quickly becomes manageable. After getting my number keys set to the various weapons and spells in my arsenal, I eagerly proceeded through the rest of the tutorial. It's really cool, suffice it to say.

Now, for the graphics performance. First of all the game looks incredible. I haven't seen anything else on the PC that comes close. Textures are very sharp, lighting is very natural looking, character models are great, if I had a single complaint it would be somewhat stiff-looking animation but it's nothing out of the ordinary. I started off running at the default "Ultra High" setting that the game detected for me at 1600x1200, 4xAA, 16xAF, V-Sync & Bloom on. It was a bit choppy at times, especially in combat (when it counts), so I played around with the settings until I settled on simply turning off AA, which increased performance very noticably. I didn't notice any IQ difference without AA but that's probably because I was lurking through dark dungeons and sewers the whole time. I didn't FRAPs it but my estimate is that the game stayed above 40fps or so the whole time with AA off, and probably dipped into the teens with it on 4x. Basically I would describe 0x as "silky smooth" and 4x as "borderline unplayable" but maybe I'm just picky. ;) Changing resolutions did not make a readily apparent difference. I left most of the in-game video options at their default levels, with the exception of the distant sliders for objects, etc. I haven't been outside yet to see what kind of impact those have on performance.

So far the game runs great and looks incredible. I can't wait to get back to it to see what lies beyond the sewers!

SH0DAN
03-21-06, 01:41 PM
Wait till you get outside,my GF has been 'outdoors' in Oblivion for near 3 days
(Since late Saturday night)Thats where the framerate will get choppy even without AA,but its still a damn fine bit of fun all the same.The trees and outdoor areas,are what she says "the most impressive visually".Cant wait till this weekend,I get to play in earnest,and get my pc back for a bit.

OWA
03-21-06, 01:48 PM
Yeah, outside is great and once you add the guy's tweak for the land LOD it's almost perfect.

Wolken007
03-21-06, 01:55 PM
OWA, where can I find the tweak for the land LOD? I just got outside, and the textures are blurry as can be.

OWA
03-21-06, 01:58 PM
OWA, where can I find the tweak for the land LOD? I just got outside, and the textures are blurry as can be.

Try here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=273834

It looks great land-wise but my water is a little flaky with it. Be sure to backup your config file first (My Documents->My Games->Oblivion->Oblivion.ini).

Ninjaman09
03-21-06, 02:00 PM
Cool, thanks OWA. I've heard mixed things about the land textures and those screenshots look pretty nasty.

OWA
03-21-06, 02:03 PM
No problem. It helps a lot but as you can see from these screenshots, my framerate dropped a bit. I'll probably have to tweak settings some more if I want to use that tweak and continue to play at 1920x1200. Edit: They're not identical though b/c the sword causing a framerate hit. Still, I dropped from the 30s into the 20s with the tweak.

SigmaOrionis
03-21-06, 02:13 PM
30 FPS with the kind of rig you have. How the heck are normal people gonna run this game. Does lowering the resolution down to 1280x1024 make a big differnce in Framerate? I would be happy with high settings at 1280x1024 4AA 8AF.

Thanks

OWA
03-21-06, 02:17 PM
The water being flaky was my fault. I hadn't included his water tweak along with the land tweak. Edit: At 1280x1024 with 4xAA and Bloom enabled, I was in the mid 20s still (outside shots, inside the framerate is much better). This is using the land and water tweak. The framerate would be much better without those tweaks. Also, some new drivers are supposed to be available for Oblivion tomorrow so maybe that'll help also. In my screenshots, I'm using HDR while AA is off.

AstroCat
03-21-06, 02:20 PM
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Sand Diego (2.4ghz)
ASUS A8N-SLi Premium
2GB Corsair XMS Twinx2048-PC-32000c2 (2-3-3-6 1T)
ATI Radeon X1900XTX (650/775(1550)) - Cat 6.3
Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE SFMA(24P) 600W
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 300GB 7200rpm SATA150
Audigy 2 ZS - latest drivers and latest OpenAL driver

ATI:
Cat forced 8xHQ AF
CatAI-Standard
Mip High Quality
Vsync On

Game Settings:
Ultra High Settings
AA off
HDR on

At 1280x960 outside (walking around right out of the sewers area) I can keep the FPS above 30 most of the time, I can even tweak the view distance settings further and keep them up above 30 or high 20's at the worst.

At 1600x1200 I can get in to the low 20's and it makes the game feel sluggish.

At 1600x1200 "jaggies" are almost a non-issue but at 1280x960 they are a little more noticeable but for the extra 6-10 fps it is worth it. It pushes the games from sluggish to smooth.

I wish there was another way for me to pick up 6-10fps without too much quality sacrifice. I'm open to tweak ideas? :)

NoDamage
03-21-06, 03:04 PM
The water being flaky was my fault. I hadn't included his water tweak along with the land tweak. Edit: At 1280x1024 with 4xAA and Bloom enabled, I was in the mid 20s still (outside shots, inside the framerate is much better). This is using the land and water tweak. The framerate would be much better without those tweaks. Also, some new drivers are supposed to be available for Oblivion tomorrow so maybe that'll help also. In my screenshots, I'm using HDR while AA is off.How does using HDR with no AA compare to using Bloom with 4xAA in terms of performance? The resolution I am especially interested in is 1600x1200.

This does not bode well if your 7800GTX512 SLI rig is only getting 20-30ish FPS, and the guys with X1900XT's are reporting similar results.

Tygerwoody
03-21-06, 03:14 PM
This does not bode well if your 7800GTX512 SLI rig is only getting 20-30ish FPS, and the guys with X1900XT's are reporting similar results.
so are single 7900GTX's ;)

UDawg
03-21-06, 03:19 PM
I have a 6800U with 1g RAM and a 3200 A64. I really want to buy the game but I don't want to sacrifice the eyecandy on my slower rig just to play a fun game. Will I be able to turn up the IQ settings enough on my puter to enjoy this game?

Nv40
03-21-06, 03:21 PM
No problem. It helps a lot but as you can see from these screenshots, my framerate dropped a bit. I'll probably have to tweak settings some more if I want to use that tweak and continue to play at 1920x1200. Edit: They're not identical though b/c the sword causing a framerate hit. Still, I dropped from the 30s into the 20s with the tweak.

hey OWA..
i have a few questions..

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16855&d=1142971419

1) Can u walk to the very far hills in the distance ?
2)are there more streamed outdoors behind the visible terrain in those shots without loading a new level ?
3) how about the big Mountain at the background ? is that a 2d bitmap or actually in game outdoors that you can visit ?
4)can u cross the river without using the bridge ? and have contact with water?

For example in guildwars outdoors arent streamed ,but individual atached levels ,with long loading times.THis take away the flow and some of the realism in the game,on the positive side you can go virtually as far as your eyes can see unless your are in a coast.

NoDamage
03-21-06, 03:26 PM
so are single 7900GTX's ;)Yeah, I am having real trouble deciding what card to go with. How does your GTX hold up at 1600x1200 HDR noAA with everything else maxed?

Why haven't we seen benchmarks from any site yet? :(

Tygerwoody
03-21-06, 03:29 PM
I have a 6800U with 1g RAM and a 3200 A64. I really want to buy the game but I don't want to sacrifice the eyecandy on my slower rig just to play a fun game. Will I be able to turn up the IQ settings enough on my puter to enjoy this game?
Stay out of this forum Udawg. Your kind(SeaChicken fans) aren't ALLOWED HERE!

(BTW, you should be able to run the game just fine and have a decent amount of eye candy. However you won't be able to run at bleeding edge settings. This is obvious though. Buy the game and enjoy it. :) )

killahsin
03-21-06, 03:35 PM
udawg the guy who made the tweaks in my thread has a very similiar setup to you. If you goto that thread and look at the screencaps u will see for yourself.

UDawg
03-21-06, 03:49 PM
SWEET!

Thanks guys.

BTW ACF CHAMPS! :D

Mr Fujisawa
03-21-06, 03:51 PM
incase you guys havent read it, part of that tweak will much up closeup textures

"NOTE TO EVERYONE:

DO NOT USE the Change the fLandTexturingTilingMult = 0.5000 (2 or 2.5 by default) tweak listed on the front page! While this will cause distant textures to look slightly better, it causes all textures to be stretched massively which seriously degrades the image quality of all textures at close range (or at least the land textures). Again, if you value the way the land textures look at close range, DO NOT change that option in the .ini file!"

example here
http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/8363/screenshot69mj.jpg
http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/511/screenshot76oc.jpg

and note, that is NOT zoomed in, pretty rubbish ey?

uf u leave that line out, the distance still looks better, but u can see the texture tiling pretty bad :o

EDIT: been posted in the tweaking thread :) nm

OWA
03-21-06, 03:57 PM
hey OWA..
i have a few questions..

1) Can u walk to the very far hills in the distance ?
2)are there more streamed outdoors behind the visible terrain in those shots without loading a new level ?
3) how about the big Mountain at the background ? is that a 2d bitmap or actually in game outdoors that you can visit ?
4)can u cross the river without using the bridge ? and have contact with water?

For example in guildwars outdoors arent streamed ,but individual atached levels ,with long loading times.THis take away the flow and some of the realism in the game,on the positive side you can go virtually as far as your eyes can see unless your are in a coast.
I had to go in to work. I meant to only take half a day off but ended up going a few hours over that. So, someone else will have to answer some of them or I can later tonight since I have some stuff to do after work.

I did go through the water without using the bridge. You can swim in the water, go underwater, etc.

betterdan
03-21-06, 04:59 PM
We have an AMD 3800+, 2gb ram and a 6800U and it is running smooth as butter at 1280x1024 with everything turned up to the max including draw distances (no AA turned on but instead HDR) according to my son. I think you should be able to run it ok with decent visuals.

SigmaOrionis
03-21-06, 05:12 PM
Does the game contain any kind of built in benchmarking to help you tweak your settings?

Games that are singleplayer and hardware pigs I usually wait and buy them in the bargain bin. That way I can play them when I have nicer hardware and also save 20 bucks on the purchase.

betterdan
03-21-06, 08:30 PM
Ok I just got home and tried the game out myself and at the beginning in the sewers it is getting between 45-50 fps. Outside it is getting between 20-30 fps. Very smooth still and loading is pretty damn quick. No choppiness even in battle.

Clay
03-21-06, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I am having real trouble deciding what card to go with. How does your GTX hold up at 1600x1200 HDR noAA with everything else maxed?

Why haven't we seen benchmarks from any site yet? :(
For one thing, benchmarking is no quick and dirty task if done correctly. Secondly, Oblivion randomly generates outdoor areas, dungeons, etc...so you'll essentially never get the same exact "path" over multiple runs. You'd have to run at least a few times through, take an average of that, rinse, repeat. It takes time.

CaptNKILL
03-21-06, 08:49 PM
For one thing, benchmarking is no quick and dirty task if done correctly. Secondly, Oblivion randomly generates outdoor areas, dungeons, etc...so you'll essentially never get the same exact "path" over multiple runs. You'd have to run at least a few times through, take an average of that, rinse, repeat. It takes time.
You know, I read that in the press release about the nVidia drivers for Oblivion, but according to developers, this isnt how it works.

Everyone gets the same dungeons, forests, etc. From what I read in an interview (which I could have completely misunderstood), the game generates the foliage and forests when the area is built in the editor. After that, its saved and is permanent. It isnt something that changes with every run through... Im almost sure of that.

I've been milling over what they said in that driver press release, and it still doesnt make sense. Can anyone explain this to me?