PDA

View Full Version : Mark Rein Talks UT2k7 (PC and PS3) and the Future of PC Gaming

slick
03-21-06, 02:52 PM
Short, but Intersting. (http://www.firingsquad.com/features/epic_games_rein_interview/)

I agree with almost all of his points on the PC view of things. It's advancing at such a rapid pace that it will be near impossible for the average consumer to keep up with, between SLI, quad SLI, Aegia PhsyX, and all the other rapidly advancing and uber expensive hardware out there needed to run games acceptably, PC gaming is almost shooting itself in the foot. That's not to say that you hardcore people won't be out there willing to break the bank at the newest hardware so that you can play games at ridiculously high resolutions and IQ's, but he has a point. Sure, you could argue that you could always play games at low settings on worse hardware, but even the uneducated gamer understands when a game doesn't look good and/or runs like crap. It's hard to justify spending 2 grand on a computer to play games when a $400 console can do the same. I know that I'll be doing most of my next-gen gaming on consoles, so far the only thing keeping me in PC gaming is MMO's.

killahsin
03-21-06, 03:08 PM
i think its more of the cpu manufacturers are shooting pc gaming in the foot.

jAkUp
03-21-06, 03:34 PM
Quad isn't, and never will be required.

Imagine if Microsoft allowed you to hook up 2 XB360's, to get 4xAA in all games. Is console gaming shooting itself in the foot? Of course not.

Also, a console system costs the same as an equilavelent PC system when you factor in the cost of a nice HDTV.

agentkay
03-21-06, 03:47 PM
People just have to consider a mid range rig and not always the latest and the greatest which obviously sells at a premium. I could buy a 7900GT, 2GB of decent value ram, and maybe an Opteron 170 for a total of maybe $800 (or a little less if I sell the old hardware on ebay) and have a pretty good rig, with components that should OC nicely. It won´t do 1900x1200 with 16AF and 4AA and HDR, but its about balancing the costs with the visuals.

The more eye candy you want or need, the more you´ll have to pay for it, especially with titles like for instance Oblivion, which is quite demanding even on the latest and greatest hardware. However, if people can wait 6 months (or even 12), they will be able to buy mid-range hardware that offers the same or even better performance like todays top-high-end hardware at a fraction of its costs (7800GTX/256MB vs. 7900GT for instance).

mullet
03-21-06, 04:00 PM
I usta work on Dells a lill and I have to say there junk, most of them come with a x300se, I mean all you can play is 3D Pinball. Then most dont even have a PCI-E slot, so your stuck. I really feel for the average joe out there that just wants to game but can't understand about hardware and how important some componets in a system are. The XPS is nice sure it is but id rather have 2 awsome pc's for the cost of 1 XPS.

Long live hardware geeks!!!!!!!

ynnek
03-21-06, 04:02 PM
Quad isn't, and never will be required.

Imagine if Microsoft allowed you to hook up 2 XB360's, to get 4xAA in all games. Is console gaming shooting itself in the foot? Of course not.

Also, a console system costs the same as an equilavelent PC system when you factor in the cost of a nice HDTV.

Well here's the thing.. More and people now are getting/have gotten a HDTV already to use to watch tv's or movies already. So that extra hdtv cost usually isn't a factor.

The cycle will always repeat itself though.. Console first come out, and they have awesome graphics, for a much lowre price.. give it a year or two, and hte price difference gets slimmer and slimmer as pc hardware progresses.. till toward the end where console graphics look horrible compared to even a mid range PC.

This time around however, with the resolution of HDTV, console really do get a huge jump in graphics.

I defnantly know my next computer would be built in mind to be able to be relatively easily moved downstairs to be hooked up on my home theatre system... and on the other side, I bought the gateway LCD because it would be easy to hookup consoles to it also, via svid, component, or dvi... So if get kicked off the HT, I'll just go play upstairs on my 20" computer lcd instead.

If the "PC games" start migrating over to console... then that will be interesting.. I may end up getting a console anyways in the next year or so, since my friends will be getting it, so I can play online with them.. since alot of them don't feel like spenidng money on PC's..

Edge
03-21-06, 04:20 PM

Why aren't you factoring in the cost of an HDTV for a PC? After all, you can use your PC on an HDTV, right?

evilchris
03-21-06, 04:23 PM

I disagree. Millions of people ( like me ) already have HDTV's. I bought my first HDTV in 2001 or something.

If you want to make the "what about the display" argument, then someone can buy an equivalent to PC display, such as a $300 LCD and run their X360 through that.

jAkUp
03-21-06, 04:29 PM
I disagree. Millions of people ( like me ) already have HDTV's. I bought my first HDTV in 2001 or something.

And millions of people have decent pc's. All you need is small upgrades, this can go either way.

evilchris
03-21-06, 04:44 PM
And millions of people have decent pc's. All you need is small upgrades, this can go either way.

How can your average Dell user with Intel Extreme Graphics and no PCIE/AGP slot make a small upgrade to a rig which could play Oblivion as well as a $299 X360?

jAkUp
03-21-06, 04:47 PM
Well I suppose, but I didn't say average, I said millions.

Intel17
03-21-06, 05:15 PM
Hmm, unfortunately he's right about the lack of good graphics accelerators in modern computers. People need to become more educated for the PC retail game market to survive.

Fortunately, it's possible to write custom software which takes advantage of the programmer's hardware without having to rely on game companies to supply hardware taxing software. :D

Mr_LoL
03-22-06, 12:51 AM
Well I hope vista really helps pc gaming as laptops and low end desktops will need a decent graphics card to run that aero thing they talk about. So hopefully come vista launch, all computers and laptops that ship with vista will have decent graphics chips in them. I would hate to see pc gaming flushed down the toilet.

|JuiceZ|
03-22-06, 09:54 AM
Well I hope vista really helps pc gaming as laptops and low end desktops will need a decent graphics card to run that aero thing they talk about. So hopefully come vista launch, all computers and laptops that ship with vista will have decent graphics chips in them. I would hate to see pc gaming flushed down the toilet.

As much as I originally disliked the fact that the requirements for running Vista were going up so much you state a very good point, the trickle down affect would force large oems to start selling "mainstream" PCs with descent graphics accelerators that can handle nextgen games at normal settings. Without that happening, I truly believe the age of pc gaming will slowly to an end within over the course of the next 10-15yrs.

smallSHEEP
03-22-06, 11:28 AM
Slowly but surely the consoles are turning into dumbed down PC's much like the Amiga, all I ever wanted to do was throw away my Amiga and upgrade to a decent PC.

evilchris
03-22-06, 01:24 PM
Slowly but surely the consoles are turning into dumbed down PC's much like the Amiga, all I ever wanted to do was throw away my Amiga and upgrade to a decent PC.
:rolleyes:

Smokey
03-22-06, 03:42 PM
How can your average Dell user with Intel Extreme Graphics and no PCIE/AGP slot make a small upgrade to a rig which could play Oblivion as well as a $299 X360?

You also have to understand that the only reason your X360 costs $299 is because MS are taking big losses on each console, as with the Xbox!

Computers have always been expensive, I remember paying about £2,000-£2,500 on my pc back in 1999 when I lived in London, now since about October I have spent around €2,000 in upgrades. cpu, motherboard, extra gig of ram, 2 videocards, top of the line soundcard, new monitor, new psu...the monitor is the last thing left from that pc from 1999 :) new monitor should be here within the next 2 weeks.

Consoles will always be cheaper than pcs mainly because of the broader market they are aimed for.

Toss3
03-22-06, 03:54 PM
You also have to understand that the only reason your X360 costs $299 is because MS are taking big losses on each console, as with the Xbox!

Computers have always been expensive, I remember paying about £2,000-£2,500 on my pc back in 1999 when I lived in London, now since about October I have spent around €2,000 in upgrades. cpu, motherboard, extra gig of ram, 2 videocards, top of the line soundcard, new monitor, new psu...the monitor is the last thing left from that pc from 1999 :) new monitor should be here within the next 2 weeks.

Consoles will always be cheaper than pcs mainly because of the broader market they are aimed for.
It's really just a matter of interest; see I could easily go out and buy a pair of jeans for 200€ without blinking, while others could do the same with hardware. Today most of us want it all: big TV's, expensive clothes, fast computer, nice car etc. and if you can get one of these real cheap most of us would definatly go that way. See a computer powerful enough to run games like oblivion at decent settings(1280x1024) would cost around 1200$, while a console that you can get for only 299$(399$) could run the game with almost all of the graphical glory you get from a 2000$comp. So which one would you get if you also want a TV, a car and new clothes? An xbox360 for sure!

Sazar
03-22-06, 04:06 PM

The low-end customer is NOT the targeted base for game dev's chris. If that was the case, we'd still be playing Pong.

The average person in the US only uses their system for checking email and surfing the web a little. You are comparing them to people like us who know about computers and are willing to shell out to get the rig to do what we want it to.

A few minor upgrades to a general system will get it up to speed like JakUp said.