PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to play earlier ES games to get Oblivion?

Lazaredz
03-21-06, 05:11 PM
I was just wondering if past experiance with other ES games was essential to enjoy Oblivion? I have never played/read anything about the ES universe but am curious about Oblivion. I guess I was wondering if the earlier games were "essential" or not to game play.

As an example: Ultima I-III were not really essential to play/enjoy Ultima IV .... However if you jumped in at Utlima VI or VII without playing at least IV, you were going to miss/not really understand a great deal.

So, what is the verdict?

Thx

SH64
03-21-06, 07:11 PM
I dont have the game yet , but i dont think its essential.
for exmaple i started with Morrowind & never played the earlier sequels (Daggerfall & Arena) , however i didnt have any problem making my way into the game.

of course though .. having played Morrowind will be a great addition to your experiance if you can do so.

CaptNKILL
03-21-06, 07:16 PM
The games are totaly unrelated. There are references to things in other games, but its mostly just back story and lore. The main story and even the setting are totaly different. As far as I know, Daggerfall (TES2) took place quite a while before Morrowind. Like, hundreds or thousands of years. I think Oblivion takes place shortly after Morrowind, but in a totaly different part of the world. So there may be a small reference to the events in Morrowind as sort of an easter egg, but overall, its a totaly seperate story.

Ancient
03-21-06, 07:52 PM
The game starts out with an opening sequence that's a reference to Morrowind. The sequence ultimately makes a break with Morrowind, which is nice for Morowind fans, imo. For those who haven't played Morrowind, they won't make the connection but it won't make a difference. The story stands by itself as well.

and, imo, Oblivion is the most accessible of the series for ES newbs. The scripted sequence and the tips and hints during the beginning is great for novices. It's not overly annoying for those familiar with the series either.

I love this game. The world they created has a feel that simply smokes Morrowind and any other RPG I've played, console or otherwise.

Rytr
03-21-06, 07:59 PM
It will not make a difference. It is just that much better if you had played MW and extensions. I found one AI that had just moved from MW.