PDA

View Full Version : Stealing your gear.

Pages : [1] 2

Tygerwoody
03-21-06, 09:05 PM
I'm trying to figure out all the cons of stealing items. Here's what i have found out.

1. if you are caught, the items are taken away.
2. Cannot sell stolen gear
3. You can steal something and immediately put it on your body and NPC's don't notice.
4. There are "traps" in the game where if you steal an item, a guard will appear out of thin air to catch you(yes even if you are in a house).

Thats all I have come up with. Anyone else know of the different aspects of stealing? I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't do. Also, whats a good place to steal stuff? I'm noticing that stealing is ALOT harder than Morrowind. Then again, I was stealing top end armor in morrowind at lvl 2.

agentkay
03-21-06, 09:23 PM
I read that you canīt sell stolen items, but canīt check that myself yet.

CaptNKILL
03-21-06, 09:31 PM
I really hope its more difficult in this game.

In morrowind, it was almost stupid the way you could do things that completely unbalanced the game and go totaly unpunished. Such as standing in a corner so that you couldnt see a guard (which means they cant see you) and then snatching every item you can reach, then walk out and sell it to the guy next door.

Im curious as to what happens when you break into someones home or an empty home. I hated it how in morrowind it was so easy to just kill a person and live in their house and no one gave a damn. It made it pointless to go to the trouble of advancing to the point where you legally get a house.

I guess its 10000x better than Daggerfall though. That game is hilarious! I've been playing it a lot lately on my old game machine. You can actually sit and loiter in a shop until its closed. When you access the shelves to see the items (where you would normally buy them), you can just take everything. The best part is, the shop keeper is still in the shop. So you can just sell him everything right off his own shelves. If you leave and go back in 24 hours, you can do it all over again with no penalties what so ever. After playing this game a lot lately, I dont think there can possibly be anything in Oblivion that wont impress me... :p

Acid Rain
03-21-06, 09:35 PM
I read that you canīt sell stolen items, but canīt check that myself yet.You can sell stolen items, at a thieves guild fence.

CaptNKILL
03-21-06, 09:36 PM
You can sell stolen items, at a thieves guild fence.
Oh, that is so freaking cool.

This is how its meant to be folks.

I cant wait to play this game. :)

Acid Rain
03-21-06, 09:39 PM
Oh, that is so freaking cool.

This is how its meant to be folks.

I cant wait to play this game. :)Captain, even with everything you know about the game, I can tell that there is still so much you don't know which will truly blow your mind.

Just apply the LOD hack ;)

CaptNKILL
03-21-06, 10:24 PM
Captain, even with everything you know about the game, I can tell that there is still so much you don't know which will truly blow your mind.

Just apply the LOD hack ;)
Didnt it turn out that that killed the quality of textures up close? Or is there another tweak that doesnt cause this problem?

gmontem
03-21-06, 11:13 PM
What happens if you kill the shopkeeper and leave the items alone? Will the townspeople with poor disposition walk in and steal the items when no one's watching?

CaptNKILL
03-21-06, 11:22 PM
What happens if you kill the shopkeeper and leave the items alone? Will the townspeople with poor disposition walk in and steal the items when no one's watching?
Thats a good question, and I would guess that yes they do. Apparently they steal some times when they need something... I imagine they would still do it (maybe even more likely to?) if the shopkeeper was no longer around.

Acid Rain
03-21-06, 11:29 PM
Didnt it turn out that that killed the quality of textures up close? Or is there another tweak that doesnt cause this problem?
Not sure. I've been so overloaded with info lately I can barely breathe.

Brimstone7
03-22-06, 12:55 AM
So far I've run into a bug where the guards have accused me of stealing even though I never did. I paid the fine and supposedly they took all of my stolen items but, as you might expect, everything in my inventory remained after the search. Not really sure what triggered it...

killahsin
03-22-06, 12:57 AM

in the tweakage thread there are still tweaks included that increase the grid lod distance and fix the water without screwing textures.

Not sure. I've been so overloaded with info lately I can barely breathe.
agree just getting a grasp on the scale of the game is hard enough

msxyz
03-22-06, 02:03 AM
To "clean" stolen items, they must be sold to the local "fence" and then purchased back. Naturally the player will loose some money (these guys aren't exactly honest traders...)

Tygerwoody
03-22-06, 07:06 AM
To "clean" stolen items, they must be sold to the local "fence" and then purchased back. Naturally the player will loose some money (these guys aren't exactly honest traders...)
where can i find this "fence"? I gotta alot of stuff to sell :D

msxyz
03-22-06, 07:41 AM
I dunno. I don't have the game yet. I think it's a service available only to thieves' guild members, though.

If you want to become a respected member, either you can spend a night in prison or try to look for that guy appearing in many "wanted" posters.

Tygerwoody
03-22-06, 07:43 AM
btw, where can I steal a freaking horse. Or what is a good strategy to do so. Everywhere I go to steal a horse there is always some ugly orc chick following me around, up in my grill.

agentkay
03-22-06, 07:47 AM
btw, where can I steal a freaking horse. Or what is a good strategy to do so. Everywhere I go to steal a horse there is always some ugly orc chick following me around, up in my grill.

Not sure since I donīt have the game, but since people who are on horses canīt attack you, because they have to dismount first, you could try this: When you see a person on a horse, shoot an arrow at him at some distance, let him dismount and chase you but if you plan it nicely you should be able to steal his horse and gallop away into the west without a lot of damage.

msxyz
03-22-06, 07:49 AM
Wait for a mounted guard to appear on some roads. Attack him/her: it will have to dismount so you can grab his/her horse and run off! :lol:

Some reviews mentioned this and I don't see why it shouldn't work.

EDIT: I and Agentkay posted at the same time

Tygerwoody
03-22-06, 07:50 AM
Not sure since I donīt have the game, but since people who are on horses canīt attack you, because they have to dismount first, you could try this: When you see a person on a horse, shoot an arrow at him at some distance, let him dismount and chase you but if you plan it nicely you should be able to steal his horse and gallop away into the west without a lot of damage.
well I can just find a horse and steal it anyway. I want to steal a horse and not get caught. Thats the problem ;)

Ninjaman09
03-22-06, 08:17 AM
Heh, I was wondering the same thing for a while. Then, when I was strolling down a road, there was a freaking horse just standing there in the middle of the path. It had a red symbol on it and was an Imperial horse, but its owner was nowhere in sight so I just hopped on and took it for a joyride. After stumbling upon a farm, breaking in, and stealing everything of value, I went back outside to find an Imperial guard getting on the horse. I spoke to him and I guess he was glad to get the exercise or something, because he didn't seem to care that I just stole his horse. *shrug*

Tygerwoody
03-22-06, 08:21 AM
Heh, I was wondering the same thing for a while. Then, when I was strolling down a road, there was a freaking horse just standing there in the middle of the path. It had a red symbol on it and was an Imperial horse, but its owner was nowhere in sight so I just hopped on and took it for a joyride. After stumbling upon a farm, breaking in, and stealing everything of value, I went back outside to find an Imperial guard getting on the horse. I spoke to him and I guess he was glad to get the exercise or something, because he didn't seem to care that I just stole his horse. *shrug*
:lol2:

CaptNKILL
03-22-06, 08:44 AM
He probably thought it ran away or something... :lol:

Superfly
03-22-06, 08:44 AM

Thats a great little story, how far was the farm from the spot you found the horse @??

Ninjaman09
03-22-06, 09:39 AM
Thats a great little story, how far was the farm from the spot you found the horse @??
About the distance halfway between the main city and the first objective location you get (not good with the names yet).

Ninjaman09
03-22-06, 09:47 AM
He probably thought it ran away or something... :lol:
That was my guess. He must have been off in the woods doing whatever it is lone Imperial guards do in the middle of nowhere, and didn't see me nab the thing.