PDA

View Full Version : Why is my card slower with Zalman Cooler?

Razorfinger
03-21-06, 10:38 PM
I recently bought a Zalman VF700 cooler to mount on my GF6600 AGP. I installed everything correctly and I connected all the components. I turned my machine on and WOW, my temps went from 49C to 40C!!! Great cooler, very quiet.

HOWEVER, I decided to do a benchmark and my performance was horrible. I used to be able to get 5000 3DMark03 with stock HS, but now I get 1500 with a better cooler??!! I dunno what is the problem. Could it be a cold bug? When I secure the cooler on my card, the HS is pushing very hard on the GPU, it would bent the card if it wasn't for the metal bar on the back. Please help me! Thanks a lot!

You may want to go to zalmantech.com to see the cooler. I have the VF700AlCu
I bought the Zalman cuz my stock is loud and whines.

SigmaOrionis
03-22-06, 01:14 AM
Thats weird. If your temperatures went down you obviously installed it correctly. I also got around 10C drop on my temps when I installed one of those on my 6800GT.

The only thing I can think of is:when you put the card back in did you remember to reconnect the power molex to the card. Maybe its throttling back because of no power.

I would try pulling the card out and reseating it then reconnect the power molex and try again.

Good Luck.

Razorfinger
03-22-06, 08:02 PM
My card doesn't even run with out the power cable connected. I pulled the card out and reinstalled many times, but still no go. If I don't completely tighten the screws that secure the card and run it at 5V, it's fine for a test, then it usually gets worst on a second test or something. If I use 12V, it's bad. Maybe my card is weird? I have a PNY Verto 6600 256MB AGP. Anyone else have a 6600 with VF700?

agentkay
03-22-06, 08:17 PM
My card doesn't even run with out the power cable connected. I pulled the card out and reinstalled many times, but still no go. If I don't completely tighten the screws that secure the card and run it at 5V, it's fine for a test, then it usually gets worst on a second test or something. If I use 12V, it's bad. Maybe my card is weird? I have a PNY Verto 6600 256MB AGP. Anyone else have a 6600 with VF700?

The fan on VF700 needs more juice than the stock 6600 fan? Did you plug in the fans power plug into the cards PCB, or your mobo or a spare power connector with an adapter? Incase you didnīt connect it to the PCB (or the fan voltage is too high/different than stock) your card might run into throttling mode because it "thinks" that your fan died or isnīt working properly.

Did you try to install the stock HS and see if the problem disappeared? I would also recommend to reduce the pressure from the Zalman HS to the card, especially if it starts to bend it. It sounds quite scary the way you wrote it.

ViN86
03-22-06, 08:51 PM
The fan on VF700 needs more juice than the stock 6600 fan? Did you plug in the fans power plug into the cards PCB, or your mobo or a spare power connector with an adapter? Incase you didnīt connect it to the PCB (or the fan voltage is too high/different than stock) your card might run into throttling mode because it "thinks" that your fan died or isnīt working properly.

Did you try to install the stock HS and see if the problem disappeared? I would also recommend to reduce the pressure from the Zalman HS to the card, especially if it starts to bend it. It sounds quite scary the way you wrote it.
yea i was just about to say that. sounds like your card is throttling cause it thinks the fan is kaput.

SigmaOrionis
03-23-06, 12:49 AM
Yeah I plugged my VF700 right into a motherboard fan header.

Razorfinger
03-23-06, 12:58 AM
Huh... well, if I mount the stock cooler, the performance is normal. Also, if I release the tension on the GPU (LOL, I was exagerating a bit) and put the fan on 5V, it works. But only for a bit before the performance goes bad again.
I know I have enough power cuz I can run everything fine including the card with stock on and the Zalman, not mounted, plugged into a molex with their converter thing(4 pin molex to 3 pin).

SigmaOrionis
03-23-06, 01:04 AM
I think what Agentkay was asking is. Are you trying to run the Zalman fan off of the fan header on your videocard? Because the Zalman is not intended to run off of that. Your supposed to either plug it into a MB fan header or directly to the PSU.

Dazz
03-23-06, 01:40 AM
Isn't this the same issue with the 7800 cards where if the fan connector on the video card is not connected or detects a fan rotaton then it throttles the card. And when it goes weird then that will be due to the increase power of the larger fan.

agentkay
03-23-06, 05:10 AM
Huh... well, if I mount the stock cooler, the performance is normal. Also, if I release the tension on the GPU (LOL, I was exagerating a bit) and put the fan on 5V, it works. But only for a bit before the performance goes bad again.
I know I have enough power cuz I can run everything fine including the card with stock on and the Zalman, not mounted, plugged into a molex with their converter thing(4 pin molex to 3 pin).

The thing is, it doesnīt matter if everything thing is working EVEN if you run the Zalman in your system while having your stock HS cooling your card. Connect the stock fan to a different power source and the SAME problem is quite likely to appear.

Your card doesnīt like high fan voltages, if 12V are a no-go, 5V a little better, it kind of shows that. Iīm sure if youīd measure the fan voltage of the stock fan, it would be lower than 5V for sure, or just check the fan itself, its specs should be printed on top or the bottom of the fan.

Do you have a multimeter or how these things are called that measure the voltage? You could measure the stock one and the Zalman and then add a resistor to reduce the voltage an "imitate" the stock fan.

Dazz, yes I think thats the problem here. I can barely remember it, but wasnīt there a way to mess with fan voltage via Nibitor/BIOS, or Rivatuner?

Dazz
03-23-06, 04:43 PM
There was a way found around it but i never used water cooling or anything so can't say for sure as that was why the cards where throttling as it did not detect a RPM signal.

agentkay
03-23-06, 04:53 PM
There was a way found around it but i never used water cooling or anything so can't say for sure as that was why the cards where throttling as it did not detect a RPM signal.

So if its the exact same issue with his 6600GT, all he has to do is to connect the Zalman fan with the video card? Even if the fan needs more juice than the stock one, all what should happen is that it rotates slower, but the card would still receive a RPM signal? Iīve never been very good in electricity class. lol

Razorfinger
03-23-06, 11:11 PM
I think what Agentkay was asking is. Are you trying to run the Zalman fan off of the fan header on your videocard? Because the Zalman is not intended to run off of that. Your supposed to either plug it into a MB fan header or directly to the PSU.

It doesn't even fit.

My 6600 can't detect RPM on the Stock HS fan. The plug on my card allows 2 cables, my stock fan has two cables. The Zalman has 3. A red one, a black ground cable, and a white RPM detecting cable. Plus, my stock fan takes more electricity to run than the Zalman. Stock is 12V with 0.15A, Zalman is 12V with 0.14A...
Also, my card performs normally if I mount the Zalman but not run the fan on it. This only works sometimes. There shouldn't be a throttling problem.

Darkfalz
03-23-06, 11:25 PM
To me it sounds like you wasted good money for something you really didn't need. Unless there is an obivous heat issue I don't see the reason for replacing stock HSF. Half the time it won't even help you overclock.

Razorfinger
03-24-06, 12:38 AM
LOL, I am beginning to agree with you. I think I'll RMA it... Unless I could get it to work. My stock fan is loud tho. 50c to 40c is pretty awesome...
sigh :(

lightman
03-24-06, 03:32 AM
To me it sounds like you wasted good money for something you really didn't need. Unless there is an obivous heat issue I don't see the reason for replacing stock HSF. Half the time it won't even help you overclock.

Repeat with me: "noise" ... ;)

Seriously, most stock cooling solutions are incredibly noisy. And that's enough of a reason (for me, at least) to replace the stock cooler with a silent one like the Zalman... :)

Lord_Obsidian
03-24-06, 12:45 PM
I just had to work around this problem with my brother in law, what you need to do is cut the white cable you wont need it on the 6600GT anyhow, then take the pins out of the zalman header and put them inside the Stock fan header. The performance will come right back up, Your video card is throttling, the other thing you can do is mod your bios and make the throttle clocks same as the default 3D clocks, that will circumvent the problem :D (nana2)

Razorfinger
03-24-06, 07:16 PM
I considered taking out the white RPM line and replace the header with the header of my stock cooler, but I didn't go for it, cuz I didn't think it would work. But I dunno if I should do that. Are you sure it solved the problem? I mean, 6600's (Mine is just plain 6600 AGP btw) don't detect RPM's, so how do they throttle?

Razorfinger
03-24-06, 07:19 PM
I don't believe my card has throttle clocks. They are all the same... At least RivaTuner says so. And I think my BIOS has the sameclocks for everything.

Lord_Obsidian
03-24-06, 11:22 PM
yep it fixed the problem,

snowmanwithahat
03-25-06, 10:17 AM
here's a thing.... i'd hate to ask but did you happen to put a new heatsink on the bridge chip??? or did you leave the stock ( i'm pretty sure the stock won't fit with the zalman)....

that could be the cause of all your problems right there, did you remember to put a diff heatsink back on it? if we could get some pix of the card it might help a little

Razorfinger
03-25-06, 02:21 PM
If you're talking about the HSI (PCIe to AGP) bridge, then Yes I have a heatsink on that.

Razorfinger
03-25-06, 04:27 PM
There is no throttling problem. I have the stock HS on my GPU, pulled out the Stock fan power plug from the card's onboard plug, then I ran 3DMark: normal performance. My card doesn't throttle...

snowmanwithahat
03-25-06, 04:51 PM
that's good, it's a shame they'd do that, for some reason it's not on the 6800's at all, atleast not that i've seen, i haven't used the fan header in a long time and it's fine

Razorfinger
03-25-06, 07:46 PM
The 6800 AGP versions don't have HSI bridges cuz their NV40 core was based on AGP. Unlike the 6600 whose NV43 cores are based on PCIe.