PDA

View Full Version : AGEIA PhysX PPU now availible in Dell, Alienware and Falcon NW PCs....

Pages : [1] 2

JamesDax
03-22-06, 12:00 PM
The also have the new product page up here: http://physx.ageia.com/

There are some awesome demos there of GRAW, Bet on Soldier and a new game called Cell Factor. Go check them out.

|MaguS|
03-22-06, 12:02 PM
Ooooh Vanguards is going to support it... probably will get one now closer to its release.

CaptNKILL
03-22-06, 12:16 PM
Duh, their comparison footage of GRAW is retarded. They have a completely different explosion effect and theres a lot more going on graphically in the PhysX video. The only real difference is that they made it so nothing actually blows up without the PhysX card. Woohoo :rolleyes:

That CellFactor video is pretty impressive though. There are thousands of objects flying all over. Game looks pretty interesting too.

JamesDax
03-22-06, 12:27 PM
Duh, their comparison footage of GRAW is retarded. They have a completely different explosion effect and theres a lot more going on graphically in the PhysX video. The only real difference is that they made it so nothing actually blows up without the PhysX card. Woohoo :rolleyes:

Me thinks you missed the point of the GRAW footage.

That CellFactor video is pretty impressive though. There are thousands of objects flying all over. Game looks pretty interesting too.

Agreed about Cell Factor. Looks like it could be very intresting.

|MaguS|
03-22-06, 12:43 PM
I don't even have a single PCI card in my PC...

JamesDax
03-22-06, 12:56 PM
PCIe cards are supposed to come later.

JamesDax
03-22-06, 01:01 PM
More AGEIA announcments:

AGEIA Brings First Dedicated Physics Processor To Market; Launches New Age In Interactive Gaming

Ubisoft Supports AGEIA PhysX Processor In Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

The Game Creators Integrate AGEIA PhysX Technology Into DarkBASIC Professional

Pelican Crossing To Integrate AGEIA PhysX SDK Into User-Friendly Content Creation Tool Blink 3D

Mystic Game Development To Integrate AGEIA PhysX Technology Into Newly Released EMotion FX 3 Character Animation System

Black Element Software To Support AGEIA PhysX Processor In Futuristic Space Shooter Alpha Prime

Microsoft Game Studios Supports AGEIA PhysX Processor In Rise Of Nations: Rise Of Legends

Sigil Games Online Supports AGEIA PhysX Processor In MMO Vanguard: Saga Of Heroes

Metropolis Software To Leverage Physics Acceleration Of AGEIA PhysX Processor In INFERNAL

Epic Games Supports AGEIA PhysX Processor in Unreal Tournament 2007

Checkout all the press releases here: http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/

Mr_LoL
03-22-06, 01:32 PM
So when is it going to be out in retail?

JamesDax
03-22-06, 01:34 PM
Coming in May from BFG. Speaking of which....

http://www.bfgtech.com/physx/index.htm

jAkUp
03-22-06, 01:35 PM
Yea that Cell factor is nuts!!! GRAW looks amazing as expected! I can't wait :D :D :D

Marvel_us
03-22-06, 01:51 PM
This should be a nice addition to our rigs. Cellfactor alone makes this worth while.

Q
03-22-06, 02:03 PM
I wasn't all that impressed. I didn't see anything that was THAT much more impressive than what we have already. If the perfomance increase is high in games that use the card to offload the calculations, though, I'd be interested.

I'd need the PCI-E version myself, as my 2 PCI slots are filled with a TV tuner and X-FI.

Smokey
03-22-06, 03:09 PM
I wasn't all that impressed. I didn't see anything that was THAT much more impressive than what we have already. If the perfomance increase is high in games that use the card to offload the calculations, though, I'd be interested.

I'd need the PCI-E version myself, as my 2 PCI slots are filled with a TV tuner and X-FI.

Not sure that it will give a performance boost, but just adding much more to the game. Like Creative sound cards for eg., you arent really getting huge increases in FPS (BF2 anyone), but rather many more effects that add something to games, just try BF2 software vs X-Fi Ultra setting.

So maybe no FPS increase, but rather many more effects without any drop in FPS.

On a side note, Im happy that this isnt coming out before May and neither is GRAW, as I dont have the cash until then :p

flurry
03-22-06, 04:45 PM
Guess i'll have to give the t.v. tuner a vacation :)

JoKeRr
03-22-06, 05:40 PM
any mentioning of price???

wonder if OC those things will give insane physics or unreal physics.

mullet
03-22-06, 05:43 PM
CellFactor looks nutzz. I cant wait to play that.

agentkay
03-22-06, 05:57 PM
A GRAW dev said this 2 weeks ago:

"AGEIA does not affect Framarate or vice versa. With a AGEIA PPU you simply get another level of special effects and physics added to the game."

JamesDax
03-22-06, 06:29 PM
A GRAW dev said this 2 weeks ago:

"AGEIA does not affect Framarate or vice versa. With a AGEIA PPU you simply get another level of special effects and physics added to the game."

And thats a good thing.

keith33
03-22-06, 06:44 PM
If it's under $300 you can bet that I'll hit it. (nana2)

Alaa
03-22-06, 10:51 PM
If it's under $300 you can bet that I'll hit it. (nana2)
yes its under 300$ , its 299$

|JuiceZ|
03-23-06, 01:38 PM
yes its under 300$ , its 299$

I'm reading around $250 but IMO it should be no more than $150 for a card the just does physics. Mark my words, you will see dedicated physics processors on the roadmap of upcoming cards from both NV & ATi. That will in turn swallow this nicht market up.

saturnotaku
03-23-06, 01:52 PM
I'm reading around $250 but IMO it should be no more than $150 for a card the just does physics. Mark my words, you will see dedicated physics processors on the roadmap of upcoming cards from both NV & ATi. That will in turn swallow this nicht market up.

My thoughts exactly. They're not going to sell very many at even $200, especially if there's no promise of performance boosts due to lower CPU overhead.

At $100-150 I probably would buy one, but that's about it.

Smokey
03-23-06, 02:10 PM
I guess it depends how good people want their games to be, not everyone has SLi, not everyone has an X-Fi sound card. But like anyother peice of hardware in our pcs, its only as good as the developers allow!

btw I'll be getting one if its under €300, it shouldnt be the same price as one of my videocards.

ImaginaryFiend
03-23-06, 02:30 PM
Mark my words, you will see dedicated physics processors on the roadmap of upcoming cards from both NV & ATi. That will in turn swallow this nicht market up.

Nvidia just this week announced its competitor to Ageia PhysX. It's Nvidia/Havoc SLI Physics. The idea is to use a second graphics card (GPU) in SLI mode for physics when possible, and for graphics when not. I think this is an awesome approach to hardware-based physics. A modern GPU has a very similar architecture to the Ageia PhysX chip. This makes sense because the math for doing newtonian physics in a 3D world is very similar to the math for doing 3D graphics.

The Geforce 7900 GTX is actually a beefier chip than the PhysX. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot faster at physics than PhysX is. The Geforce 7600 GT is probably also as fast as PhysX for $199.

Also, there are some other things I like better about the Nvidia/Havoc solution than the PhysX solution:

1) Not every game has or needs physics acceleration, but all games have and need graphics acceleration. In a non-hardware-physics game, the 2nd Nvidia card can be used to boost your rendering speed, whereas the PhysX chip just sits there sucking power.

2) On Nvidia SLI setups there is a fast interconnect between the two cards. This means that once physical simulation results are computed on one GPU they can be transferred quickly to the other for rendering. The PhysX chip has no such interconnect. They have to send the data back over the old PCI or PCIE bus to the main memory, and from there to the GPU. I was at a talk given by the CEO of Ageia, and he said they really need a dedicated link to the GPU. But they don't have one.

3) Nvidia has over a thousand engineers constantly cranking out faster and better graphics chips. Ageia has probably 30 or so engineers. They're not likely to be able to improve their product line very quickly, whereas with Nvidia chips you can get better ones all the time, and they will improve both your graphics and your physics.

I agree that it's a great idea for Nvidia and ATI to get into this scene, and that they should eat Ageia's lunch. It's a much better value proposition to have a chip that can do both graphics and physics than a chip that can only do one or the other.

jolle
03-23-06, 03:17 PM
The Geforce 7900 GTX is actually a beefier chip than the PhysX. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot faster at physics than PhysX is. The Geforce 7600 GT is probably also as fast as PhysX for $199.
Not a expert on the subject, but the PPU is better adapted for its task, as the GPU is better for its task..
Imagine using the GPU by only allowing it to work with 1 pixel at a time, a 7900GTX is beefy indeed, but its not working optimally if only one pipeline is acctually working.. its acctually a huge waste..
Plus GPU assisted Physics does supposedly have to be mapped to Direct3d calls, and it doesnt seem to be as functional as a dedicated PPU.

Because of these limitations, the physical simulations that are possible on a GPU are limited mainly to eye candy and special effects. And actually, NVIDIA didn’t try to deny this fact during our briefing on SLI Physics, so it makes a lot of sense. However, AGEIA doesn’t want to just bring eye candy to games, they want to change the way games are made and played from the ground up.

In this article they mentioned one example, you cant write back to the GPU pipeline..
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=225&type=expert&pid=1

So the PPU is prolly both cheaper to make, and better suited for the task, IE faster, while perhaps not more powerful on paper, depending on what theoretical numbers you choose to look at..