PDA

View Full Version : 7800GS freezing problem, please help

shpuntik
03-22-06, 01:46 PM
Hi, All

I bought a 7800GS 375MHz/1.2GHz and tried to play Battlefield 2 which freezes my pc and the only way to gain control is to restart. I have tried reinstalling Battlefield 2 but still the same, it will only run if I lower the resolution to 1023x768. I tried running 3DMark03, 3DMark05 and Aquamark03 and it is fine no freezing problem. Does any one have the same or similar problem please help. :(
Also my 7800GS temp is 53C in idle is that ok.

PC Specs:
AMD 64 3200+ 939 (not overclocked)
Asus A8V-Deluxe 1.17
2 x 512 OCZ dual channel
2 x HDD
PSU Enermax EG365P-VE
NVIDIA 7800GS 375/1.2

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

cvearl
03-22-06, 01:55 PM
Your temp at idle is inline with my 7800GT.

Hmm...

If you think it's overheating in BF2 then try running with the case open. If that does not do it then it is not heat.

Hard to say at that point as I don't have that game yet.

Did you have an ATI card before? and if so did you do a full driver scrub or OS rebuild prior to installing the nVidia card? ect....

I had a problem with COD2 briefly when I went from an X800 to an X1800 without an OS reinstall but simply uninstalling the game and deleting it's folder and using driver cleaner and then reinstalling the game after reinstalling the video card and all was well.

C.

shpuntik
03-22-06, 02:03 PM
Yes I previously had an ATI 9600XT but before installing 7800GS I did a driver uninstall and used a Driver Cleaner Pro (also used a CAB cleaner). I did not reinstall the OS though.
When I uninstalled Battlefield 2 I did not delete the profile folder, could that be a prolem?

Demanufakture
03-22-06, 04:05 PM
No problems at all with BF2 on my 7800 gs. Must be something besides the card unless it is defective. My card however is oc'd to 460/1350mhz by default. I hope you figure it out.

shpuntik
03-23-06, 11:55 AM
After work I tried playing BF2 again at 1280x1024 and it worked fine. Maybe it was a temporary issue I hope. But for some reason I get freeze ups once in a while for about 10-20 seconds when my CPU is overclocked didn't have that problem with my old ATI 9600XT card, strange.
My 7800GS GPU temps are still at 53C idle and 78C load with side of the case open.

I tried using ATI Tool 2.5 to see 7800GS clocks. Interestingly ATI Tool displays 3 sets of clock speeds: 2D 275/600Mhz, 3D Low 490/700Mhz, 3D High 490/700Mhz. I bought the card used from a friend and thought that it was not overclocked but it looks like it is and I cannot figure out by whom it was build since there is no label anywhere on the card except on the top of the fan which has "nVidia" sticker and the heatsink is nVidia's stock. Is there a way to check who build the card?

Thanks for your help :)

cvearl
03-23-06, 12:52 PM
After work I tried playing BF2 again at 1280x1024 and it worked fine. Maybe it was a temporary issue I hope. But for some reason I get freeze ups once in a while for about 10-20 seconds when my CPU is overclocked didn't have that problem with my old ATI 9600XT card, strange.
My 7800GS GPU temps are still at 53C idle and 78C load with side of the case open.

I tried using ATI Tool 2.5 to see 7800GS clocks. Interestingly ATI Tool displays 3 sets of clock speeds: 2D 275/600Mhz, 3D Low 490/700Mhz, 3D High 490/700Mhz. I bought the card used from a friend and thought that it was not overclocked but it looks like it is and I cannot figure out by whom it was build since there is no label anywhere on the card except on the top of the fan which has "nVidia" sticker and the heatsink is nVidia's stock. Is there a way to check who build the card?

Thanks for your help :)

Not sure about checking the card or whatever...

But since you meantion "freezing" when CPU is overclocked...

Remember that overclocking does result in pulling extra juice from the power pool that the system all draws from. Now this is just a theory but you have gone to a card that pulls more juice than your old one. There is a possibility that a combination of things all leading back to power could have something to do with stability. This is not to say that the PSU is specifically to blame. But when solving the "what changed" prior to my problems, you put a heavier card in the system and clocking your CPU to default seems to resolve the issue? Then that could be power.

Just a guess.

C.

shpuntik
03-23-06, 01:01 PM
Thanks for you help cvearl.
For now I will not overclock my CPU since it helps the freezing problem and later I will definatly buy a new PSU. Plus all the latest games run really smooth without the overclock :D

Cheers!

xorbe
03-23-06, 01:48 PM
Play in a window, and keep the gfx temp visible while playing... you might surprised how much it spikes. My brother's 6600GT was going from an idle of 40-something to 105C (!) causing a crash in Quake4. It's an Asus card with a terrible, non-reference HSF design -- gotta get a Zalman for his card...

NemesisChild
03-27-06, 03:55 PM
78@c seems a bit high, but shouldn't be an issue.
Both my 7800GS's run about 54-55@c when playing BF2 online for hours.
Trying using RT's hardware monitoring tool (and log to file) when playing games.
It will monitor a number of things with your GPU, especially core temps.
Like mentioned above, OC'ing the CPU can do funny things at times.
BF2 is extremely demanding on hardware, you might also try 2GB of RAM.