PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Comparison

klown
03-22-06, 02:30 PM
I need some help. I currently own a gateway laptop.

The Specs look like this

Athlon 64 4000+
1.5 gig ram
X600 256MB
100GB HD (4200rpm)

etc,

However, I am looking to trade it in for a Toshiba Satellite P110 JR5

Specs:

Intel Duo Core (1.8Ghz)
2 GIG of Ram
120 GB HD (5200rpm)
Nvidia 730 GO 256MB

Which of these machines is better for gaming? which of these would be the better choice in general?

Sazar
03-22-06, 03:31 PM
I need some help. I currently own a gateway laptop.

The Specs look like this

Athlon 64 4000+
1.5 gig ram
X600 256MB
100GB HD (4200rpm)

etc,

However, I am looking to trade it in for a Toshiba Satellite P110 JR5

Specs:

Intel Duo Core (1.8Ghz)
2 GIG of Ram
120 GB HD (5200rpm)
Nvidia 730 GO 256MB

Which of these machines is better for gaming? which of these would be the better choice in general?

I'd go with the Toshiba. Better processor (even w/o 64 bit support), better memory and gfx card and better HDD.

All round, a more complete system.

You should also typically get better battery life and a cooler system.

klown
03-22-06, 03:38 PM
Cool, Thanks. That is what I was expecting. I am considering upgrading the gfx....though for now, it will probably be more then enough for me.

Son Goku
03-22-06, 03:40 PM
Well, minus the gfx, the A64 probably would give a bit better performance itself. However, as Saz mentioned the battery life should be shorter... Intel sorta has AMD wrt power saving modes...

You really only wouldn't care about that if you're only using the laptop while attached to a wall outlet. Not sure about your uses, as a friend of mine does use his laptop as a d'top... His main reason, got sick of the size/bulkiness sitting on his comp desk... They are made to be portable however, and if you use a laptop while on the road or something, you definitely care about power saving...

klown
03-22-06, 03:51 PM
Well. what kind of difference would it be? in power? Essentially, mobility is something I want to have. I don't want this to replace me current desktop, just compliment it. If I am understanding correctly, the Toshiba would be the better of the 2.

Son Goku
03-22-06, 03:58 PM
For battery life, I would imagine so... The Pentium M proc had really good battery life, as I understand it... The A64 just wasn't designed as a mobile proc from what I've read up on it...

As to the respective battery life, you might want to check the specs on the various laptops, as the hardware + the size of the battery they put on the thing can effect it. A proc that uses more juice could be combated in part by a larger (albeit also heavier) battery, but would have to check the estimated battery lives on each laptop to get a direct comparison in hours...

It might be a couple hours + difference, though I don't have the exact figures in front of me now...

klown
03-22-06, 05:17 PM
From what I have seen, both are around the 3 hour mark. So over all, Toshiba is still the winner?

a12ctic
03-22-06, 07:16 PM
with that amd 64 use cool and quiet and youll get more than 3 hours...

klown
03-22-06, 08:03 PM
Would that not decrease the performance?