PDA

View Full Version : GRAW (PC) and PPU footage

agentkay
03-22-06, 03:11 PM
http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html

There you can see the difference between the PPU physics/effects and software physics (Havok) at medium setting. Footage are two .swf clips side by side (each 3 seconds long), left side the software physics footage, and right side the PPU footage.

Here is the direct link to the .swf file and when its opened in a webbrowser its in full size and a few more details can be seen:

http://physx.ageia.com/sbs_graw.swf

Bo (developer) is answering many questions regarding this topic in this thread on gr.net:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32145&st=0

Smokey
03-22-06, 03:27 PM
Cant wait for GRAW, and I will be getting one of these ppu for sure :D

agentkay
03-22-06, 03:38 PM
Here is there Q/A from that thread:

Bo: I can confirm it is the PC version yes :) The fact that the events are a bit different is that they are indeed different - they played like crazy for hours to get two similar - did not want to fake the footage in terms of gameplay I guess. Soo PPU will not kill easier no :)
Sniper: Bo, at what level of detail is the left movie? You spoke of three software levels: low/mid/high

Bo: Yepp said med, high, ppu. This left I think is Med for that case. As I said earlier on this topic... imagine going into a parkinglot :)
Poita: Please, please, please tell me why the HUD is dancing? I know the HUD in GRAW's concept is that it is seen through is visor/monacle whatever and that a shockwave in theory would 'disturb' the onscreen images but I think it would be rediculous to have the hud dancing around like that every time he lets off a nade. Besides the stance and fire rate indicator wouldnt be in his visor view, they are there just cause we need an icon indicator for those things int he abscence of a real world view.

Bo: Ah looked closely. The guy who shoots get hit like TOO many times (no wonder he is not in cover) so the hit sakes his head. Though as he is in reccording mode he cannot be killed. Remeber that was a Physix simulation. One hit like theat he would topple over and die. The dance will not apear like that in the game. Then the shake form the explosion is a shockwave. Ok hope that clear up things
PB: Bo, i dont know if you would know, but will these PPU cards have different spec. Like a graphics would? i didnt find anything on there site, except that they have 128mb ram etc.. hope it doesnt end up like a graphics card thing

Bo: All have the same specs
Sniper: Marketingwise, it would be smart too get some variations of the product. So, people can feel l33t about the piece of hardware they have. An interesting question. But more interesting would be: Bo, do you recommend the card? Based on the gameplay experience? Does it add from a gamers perspective?

Bo: I like the extra bang you get for that buck yeah. I hope lots of devs use it in games after us.
Rock: Awsome stuff, but shouldn't the shockwave from an explosion that powerful send the guy next to it flying? It looks like he just drops to the ground.

Bo: Nope that explosion is not powerfull enough to fling him far. The grenade explodes in the truck. But if you hit something like a larger tank of fuel, hit with more than 1 nade, or with c4 or just blow up a gas station or such then ppl will be flying. Bodys when they die drop pretty straight down from shrapnel and bullets at high speeds. It is a balance.
Poita: er, also, how come it's ok for them graphics cards fellas to get footage but us lowly customers don't get none. We demands our rights i tells ya.

Bo: We did not make the footage man :) We did the game though.....
Capteen: i assume, AGEIA will not be used in MP, because i mean, it make all different! or wait! guys without PPu will see destroyed truck like this, but people with PPU destroyed truck in pieces! could that work?

Bo: There will be MP balancing options.
PB: Bo will GRAW's PPU phyics work with the upcoming Nvidia SLi Physics and have the same results? or will it only be compatible with AGEIAs

Bo: The Nvidia physics is not supported now as it is upcoming and GRAW is imminent
Budd: I am just wondering about one thing. Why is the enemy in the left footage shooting from infront of the car as he easily could have taken cover behind it ? Also, in the PPU video, why is the guy coming out from behind the cover/car and not leaning and shooting ?

Bo: Looking at the HUD he's got 2 enemies to his right. Take cover from them and kill the camera guy. Now notice the camera guys is dead at least 4 times.

BTW, thats the first "official" moving footage from GRAW (PC) other than some bootleg footage from last summer. Hopefully we will see hi-res videos soon when UBI decides to release them.

toxikneedle
03-22-06, 04:04 PM
I dunno the truck explosions in 360 look more like the PPU footage yet 360 doesnt have a PPU chip.....

ENU291
03-22-06, 04:09 PM
I dunno the truck explosions in 360 look more like the PPU footage yet 360 doesnt have a PPU chip.....
QFT! The footage of the game without the PPU does not represent what I see when I blow up a vehicle in GRAW for the 360. Something is a miss on that Ageia site! :nono:

agentkay
03-22-06, 04:17 PM

What do you expect? They want to sell PPU cards, so obviously there need to be a few steps between med, high, and PPU effects. This is after all the Ageia website and THEY created the footage. We donīt know how much the 3 levels will actually differ. This is a just a small tease from Ageia.

Also, the 360 version offers a whole different gameplay and other than the games setting its a completely different game in almost all areas. :)

toxikneedle
03-22-06, 04:24 PM
Well I just wanted to bring out the fact that it's unfair for us that GRAW devs decided limit the effects they can do without a PPU just because Ageia decided to get involved with them.... I still like that swinging door on the truck in the non PPU footage.

agentkay
03-22-06, 04:37 PM
These were just medium physics settings and who knows maybe they reduced the particle and smoke effects to low settings. I also remember that there are more steps when its comes to destruction of vehicles, so it would have been interesting to see what a 2nd nade had done to the truck in the left vid.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see when the settings are completely maxxed out without a PPU and THEN compared with the PPU effects. The difference might not be so dramatic but I kind of doubt that, after all they want to sell the PPUs.

PeterJensen
03-23-06, 12:14 AM
That "animation" without the PPU does not look nowhere as good as on my x360.

jAkUp
03-24-06, 06:03 AM
Some new PC screenies :)

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32181

Bo says some screenies were at medium quality.. and I quote:

Beacuse the high setting requires some cards not available yet.

??!!

He later says it needs a 512MB card to max it out completely.

And also.. ATI vs. nVidia:

If you are upgrading in that range then go 7900. Don't need to SLI that hough

Funny that many of the ads I see in PCgamer show this game with ATI cards...

agentkay
03-24-06, 06:17 AM
Yes Jakup, pretty funny how he gave the hint for the 7900. lol One thing he meant by maxing out the visuals might have been also the PPU, since it adds another level of physics and effects, and it isnīt available at retail yet (minus Alienware).

jAkUp
03-24-06, 06:18 AM
Yes that is true, and that would qualify for hardware not available yet.

I couldn't think of anything else besides SM4.0, and I know GRAW is not gonna have support for that, so it must be the PPU.

surfhurleydude
03-24-06, 08:44 AM
God damn jAkUp, those new pics you posted are REALLY sweet!

If GRAW and the PPU come out in May, then it means I have ~2 months to "sell" myself out to everyone in the city to get enough "side cash" to upgrade my 7800 GT to a 7900 GTX and get a PPU. I better go get to work...

Smokey
03-24-06, 11:20 AM
Looking good, I think its pretty clear to say the main reason for the delay is the for ppu. Im hoping that all I need is to add a ppu and I can run on max settings, and that the game supports widescreen out of the box ( so I can see jAkUp hiding around corners ;) )

PeterJensen
03-24-06, 12:15 PM
Those screens dont look anny better then GRAW on the x360.

DansFace
03-24-06, 02:40 PM
Too bad I have no room for a PPU card.. and the fact that there 250$ I would like to see a 100$ one :D

Roliath
03-24-06, 06:25 PM
No Kidding, I wouldn't want my card to get "anymore" hotter.

jAkUp
03-24-06, 10:20 PM
Those screens dont look anny better then GRAW on the x360.

Well, the first shot is an early build, you can tell by the texture resolutions, the last 2 are from a later build and look much better.