PDA

View Full Version : What settings are you 6800's using with this game?

TB303
03-22-06, 05:50 PM
Hi people,

I'm playuing this on my 6800GT (410/1.1gHZ) @ 1024X768 and I am wondering what options are you people with a similar system using?

I have most things set on High and 2AA + Bloom, yet textures look very bad up close but look nice in the distance, as if there isn't any filtering going on.

So please share your tips/settings, thanks!

avirox
03-22-06, 07:09 PM
BFG6800GT OC here at stock. Running at 1024x768 and High Quality (HDR on, vsync off, no AA). It gets down to the teens sometimes (Especially in battle) but it's pretty playable.

FierceDeityLink
03-22-06, 08:56 PM
I'm running at 1024x768 with HDR on v-sync on (140Hz) with the default settings except for resolution. I get around 30-50s indoors and 20-30 outside.

TB303
03-23-06, 01:33 AM
What about filtering?

do you get the feeling filtering sucks, especially up close?

XxDeadlyxX
03-23-06, 03:18 AM
Could someone with 6800 gt/ultra etc attach their .ini? I've tried to get the best performance/visual combination, but unless I completely turn down sliders for distance/fades etc I get 8-15fps outside.... its horrible unplayable. The interiors at the beginning of the game run fine in the >30fps at maximum settings, outside is :( . However this game is playable and feels quite smooth in the 20s, but I cannot get the outside to run in the 20s and look decent. HDR On/Off seems to have little effect. Running 1280x1024 res.

Also is it just me.... or is the terrain drawing technique outside terrible? This screenshot illustrates this quite well...

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/Oblivion.JPG

The terrain looks like a checkerboard of green, and messing around with the .ini settings that have been posted dont seem to help much at all. Far Cry never had any look like this, is it just me or does it just look cheap... is this what 'next-gen' forrests look like :confused:

Not to mention the generally terrible LOD at distances :thumbdwn:

killahsin
03-23-06, 04:27 AM
I would not say the rendering lod is terrible. I would say the freeform level design just SHOWS some of the limitations of the lod system more so then other games like far cry which did the same thing. Remember we arent dealing with just static textures. the fact alone that the engine can be tweaked as much as it is with just a few ini settings is pretty impressive to me. The fact that the engine can physically scale to mountains waaaaaaay off is pretty impressive. In fact u could set the settings so high that you could see for hundreds of miles, but of course your computer could die.

So basically i would say that the outdoor rendering method is probably the most impressive i have seen, because you have the option between being able to run the game and being able to enjoy the most beautiful slideshow man has ever witnessed in game.

betterdan
03-23-06, 06:39 AM
6800U
Running every option at max and HDR enabled but no AA. No AF forced in driver control panel either. Runs pretty damn good.

FluxCap
03-23-06, 07:38 AM
1280x1024
Highest detail
No AA
Bloom
No AF

Runs somewhat slow outdoors but it is enjoyable and looks great. The trees are better than I had imagined.

I have an eVGA 6800GT stock with a P4 3.0c stock.

Winterzz
03-24-06, 01:24 AM
XFX 6800GS AGP (unlocked to 16x/6x, no overlock)

tweak I did so far

uGridDistantTreeRange=30
uGridDistantCount=50
uGridsToLoad=5

bUseWaterReflectionsMisc=1
bUseWaterReflectionsStatics=1
bUseWaterReflectionsTrees=1
bUseWaterReflectionsActors=1
uNumDepthGrids=1

HDR 1024x768 4xAF, outdoor is pretty taxing on the gfx getting somewhere around 20-25fps, is there any better tweaking to speed thing up by lowering the shadow quality? issit possible?

glObalist
03-24-06, 01:54 PM
Could someone with 6800 gt/ultra etc attach their .ini? I've tried to get the best performance/visual combination, but unless I completely turn down sliders for distance/fades etc I get 8-15fps outside.... its horrible unplayable. The interiors at the beginning of the game run fine in the >30fps at maximum settings, outside is :( . However this game is playable and feels quite smooth in the 20s, but I cannot get the outside to run in the 20s and look decent. HDR On/Off seems to have little effect. Running 1280x1024 res.

Also is it just me.... or is the terrain drawing technique outside terrible? This screenshot illustrates this quite well...

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/Oblivion.JPG

The terrain looks like a checkerboard of green, and messing around with the .ini settings that have been posted dont seem to help much at all. Far Cry never had any look like this, is it just me or does it just look cheap... is this what 'next-gen' forrests look like :confused:

Not to mention the generally terrible LOD at distances :thumbdwn:

I totally agree with you. In fact I think this engine is outright terrible and a slap in the face for us 6800 users, not to mention the lower-end 6xxx series users. What were they thinking with implementing this speedtree crap?

I'm playing at 1280x1024xHigh textures, no AA no AF no Bloom or HDR, all the performance tweaks applied. At first I was impressed, getting around 50FPS indoors. Now that I've stepped outside I get 20-30 FPS and it dips down to 15 FPS in the city. Also, the game engine feels very "thin" to me, very similar to the craptacularity of X3, as opposed to feeling "robust" just like WoW for example.

Gameplay is terrific though, but graphics-wise this is a big let-down for me :thumbdwn:

Oh and here is my ini, you just have to change the extension:

Tygerwoody
03-24-06, 02:15 PM
Also, the game engine feels very "thin" to me, very similar to the craptacularity of X3, as opposed to feeling "robust" just like WoW for example.

Gameplay is terrific though, but graphics-wise this is a big let-down for me :thumbdwn:

You do realize that the engine running WoW is comparible to game engines 7 years ago right? There is absolutely ZERO inovation put forth into it. WoW's graphic engine is about as simple as it gets, thats why you can crank up the settings with ease. I probably wouldn't even play Oblivion if the graphics were anywhere as close to as bad as WoW's is.

The graphics in Oblivion are absolutely FANTASTIC. I don't like people putting down graphics when they are just mad because they can't run the settings full blown. Its your fault, not the game's. I'm not trying to insult you here, but you really need to watch what you say when in reality you don't have a clue. :)

glObalist
03-24-06, 02:28 PM
You do realize that the engine running WoW is comparible to game engines 7 years ago right? There is absolutely ZERO inovation put forth into it. WoW's graphic engine is about as simple as it gets, thats why you can crank up the settings with ease. I probably wouldn't even play Oblivion if the graphics were anywhere as close to as bad as WoW's is.

The graphics in Oblivion are absolutely FANTASTIC. I don't like people putting down graphics when they are just mad because they can't run the settings full blown. Its your fault, not the game's. I'm not trying to insult you here, but you really need to watch what you say when in reality you don't have a clue. :)

Well you obviously know what innovation is whereas I don't. But seriously, how is this innovation when the game looks no better than FarCry (ie fantastic), but runs at half the framerates (ie like crap)?

But I was also talking about the overal feeling of robustness of the engine, which I can't help but notice it kind of lacks here.

BTW, LOL@your remarks on the WoW engine. I personally think WoW engine is the best bang for the buck.

Tygerwoody
03-24-06, 02:33 PM
Well you obviously know what innovation is whereas I don't. But seriously, how is this innovation when the game looks no better than FarCry (ie fantastic), but runs at half the framerates (ie like crap)?

But I was also talking about the overal feeling of robustness of the engine, which I can't help but notice it kind of lacks here.
What do you mean by robustness? I have to agree with you on the Farcry engine , the game looks amazing and runs amazing.

However there is one point that I would like to bring up when it comes to Farcry. When Farcry was released there wasn't a PC out there that could run it at full blown settings. People were complaining about how poorly farcry ran and how inefficient the engine was. It wasn't until the next generation of cards before Farcry could run at decent settings. Now all of a sudden Farcry is this "efficient" engine, when in fact people thought the opposite upon its release. I'm sure this game is no exception. Just food for thought ;)

ynnek
03-24-06, 02:46 PM
i'm running a 1608x1050.. no aa... HDR.. settings on high, with some of the distance sliders moved back.. I just got outdoor and running aorund chasing deer its okay.. the fps may not be high, but its at least consistant - that is a nice thing... honestly, switching over to 1280x1024, didn't seem like things were signficantly faster.. i'm suspecting CPU limitations.

IMO indoor graphics are horrible.. Outdoors i guess would look nice if you had both the CPU and graphics card.

But my first thought was, gee, at first glance, FarCry is better.. And I'm running the same setup then and now.. 3.2 p4, 6800GT and 1.5 gigs of ram.

I can't seem to get into the game either. .maybe cause I have my mind centered around Eve Online too much still.. I'll probably get into it once I force myself to play..

glObalist
03-24-06, 03:30 PM
What do you mean by robustness? I have to agree with you on the Farcry engine , the game looks amazing and runs amazing.

However there is one point that I would like to bring up when it comes to Farcry. When Farcry was released there wasn't a PC out there that could run it at full blown settings. People were complaining about how poorly farcry ran and how inefficient the engine was. It wasn't until the next generation of cards before Farcry could run at decent settings. Now all of a sudden Farcry is this "efficient" engine, when in fact people thought the opposite upon its release. I'm sure this game is no exception. Just food for thought ;)

By robustness I mean the game loads itself up in a matter of seconds and feels like something written in Java from then on if you catch my drift. The strafing movement especially is quite jerky.

And yes maybe you are right, in two years our cards will be eating Oblivion for breakfast and we will be complaining about the insane requirements of FarCry 3 instead :D