PDA

View Full Version : Extreme BF2 lag issue

bonchez
03-22-06, 09:12 PM
This issue has started happening ever since I upgraded from an AMD Athlon XP to an Athlon 64 bit with a new motherboard of course. I also upgraded with another 1GB PC3200 of ram.

The issue is I get extreme lag in BF2 when running all high settings with 1280X1024 res. Whenever I set the texture setting to medium it doesn't lag like it does on high. It's really intense lag that happens when I'm walking one direction and turn toward another, or when I look toward the jist of the action.

I have a 6800GT 256mb video card, which is good but not the greatest I know, but what I'm saying is that it never lagged like this until I upgraded the to the hardware I stated above. I don't understand why upgrading, especially the kind of wardware I did would make the game preformance worse. I have the latest video drivers of course and I've tried many different ways to improve preformance. I would apperciate any sort of help.

Thank you.

nV`andrew
03-22-06, 09:35 PM
after the new patch the game is hardly playable with all the lag on my system

einstein_314
03-22-06, 09:38 PM
You did reinstall Windows when you upgraded your hardware right? One thing I would try is clearing the BF2 shader cache. It's located in your My Documents folder under BattleField 2\Mods\BF2. Delete the cache folder. When you start up BF2, it will re-optimize shaders. This solved my problems once so it's worth a shot.

Another thing...Is it the frame rate that is stuttering or the game play? I know when I had only 1 GB of ram it would stutter like mad but be running at 60 fps. Now with my 2GB, it only stutters when I put the settings too high and the framerate drops real low.

einstein_314
03-22-06, 09:40 PM
after the new patch the game is hardly playable with all the lag on my system
Really?!? Runs fine for me...and I don't have a dual core...

mike686
03-23-06, 12:06 AM
Having EAX enabled can also cause unnessesary lag issues if you don't have an EAX sound card.

SigmaOrionis
03-23-06, 02:23 AM
When you say lag I think you mean performance problems with your computer.

I think the settings your trying to use are too high for the videocard your using.

When I had this setup:
A64 Newcastle @ 2.0 Gig
6800GT
2 GB Mem

I use to run at 1280x960 2xAA
Textures:Medium
Effects:High
Terrain:Medium
Shadows:Medium
Dyn Lighting:Medium
Lighting:Medium
Geometry:High
Tex Filtering:High
Draw Distance:100

Even with these settings in certain maps(Daqing Oilfields and Sharqi Peninsula) during heavy battles or when panning real fast I would get drops in performance that made the game feel almost unplayable.

Other maps would run great like Gulf of Oman and Strike at Kirkand.

The settings I've found that seem to have the greatest impact on performance are:Textures, Dynamic Shadows, and Lighting in that order. If you lower those three to medium the game will still look good but probably run a whole lot better for you. Especially during heavy fighting.

Viventis
03-23-06, 08:20 AM
After I downloaded Special Forces, I noticed a distinct smoothness difference when playing a regular BF2 map and a SF map. I had to "dumb down" my visual settings when playing Special Forces. I believe that the latest patch issued by EA in anticipation of Euro Force, has put the regular BF2 maps into the same condition as the SF maps.

Rooster_11
03-23-06, 03:53 PM
Recently i was experiencing considerable lag in bf2, especially when I panned quickly. I changed my AGP aperture size to 256MB and it doesn't lag at all anyone when i pan. I've got a 6800 oc.

bonchez
03-23-06, 06:17 PM
I can't seem to change my AGP aperature size in my bios. I've looked everywhere and I can't find it. I know my video card isn't the best, but like I said before I used to use it with an Athlon XP cpu and with less ram. The extreme lag started happenening when I got my upgrades.

SigmaOrionis
03-23-06, 07:40 PM
Oh I misunderstood you. I thought you increased your settings after getting your new hardware.

If your GPU bound getting more mem and faster CPU isnt going to help you and allow you better settings. It will only give you faster performance at lower CPU bound settings.

I think the 2 GB of memory instantly allows you to go high on Textures and Lighting thing is a myth. When I went from 1 GB to 2 GB the hardrive thrashing was removed but I could still feel hitching when I panned. So I put the settings back to medium and problem solved.

2gb was nice though as far as loading times and returning instantly back to desktop after exiting the game.

$n][pErMan
03-23-06, 10:07 PM
Recently i was experiencing considerable lag in bf2, especially when I panned quickly. I changed my AGP aperture size to 256MB and it doesn't lag at all anyone when i pan. I've got a 6800 oc.
I noticed that awhile back..... Patch did not lag anything up for me.