PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Flashing Screen Problem

OWA
03-22-06, 10:15 PM
First let me say that I'm not sure if this is a Xbox 360 problem or not but has anyone heard anything about Xbox 360s causing the screen to flash. It's just a quick flash. If the screen is totally black or as black as it can be with a LCD :), I can see a white flash on part of the screen (almost like a sudden backlight or brightness change). It's also noticeable with the Guide/GUI running. In games, with all the action and stuff, it's normally much tougher to see or catch. It seems to be getting more frequent though so that has me concerned. Anyway, before I disconnect everything and start trying different combos I wanted to see if anyone has heard of any problems like this with the Xbox 360.

I initially thought it was my LCD so I played with the settings and that didn't help. I have several other things connected to the LCD and none of the others exhibit the problem.

So, I'm left with these possible guesses as to the problem. My new Xbox 360 has a problem, maybe it's overheating (it's in a cabinet and it gets hot) and that is causing a problem, maybe the component cable has something wrong with it, or maybe this input on the monitor is flaky.

Any ideas or has anyone heard of any issues like this? If the Xbox 360 is messed up I want to exchange it soon. I just got it not too long ago so I shouldn't have a problem getting it exchanged.

evilchris
03-22-06, 10:43 PM
First let me say that I'm not sure if this is a Xbox 360 problem or not but has anyone heard anything about Xbox 360s causing the screen to flash. It's just a quick flash. If the screen is totally black or as black as it can be with a LCD :), I can see a white flash on part of the screen (almost like a sudden backlight or brightness change). It's also noticeable with the Guide/GUI running. In games, with all the action and stuff, it's normally much tougher to see or catch. It seems to be getting more frequent though so that has me concerned. Anyway, before I disconnect everything and start trying different combos I wanted to see if anyone has heard of any problems like this with the Xbox 360.

I initially thought it was my LCD so I played with the settings and that didn't help. I have several other things connected to the LCD and none of the others exhibit the problem.

So, I'm left with these possible guesses as to the problem. My new Xbox 360 has a problem, maybe it's overheating (it's in a cabinet and it gets hot) and that is causing a problem, maybe the component cable has something wrong with it, or maybe this input on the monitor is flaky.

Any ideas or has anyone heard of any issues like this? If the Xbox 360 is messed up I want to exchange it soon. I just got it not too long ago so I shouldn't have a problem getting it exchanged.

What output mode is it in? Do you have a regular HDTV to test it on?

OWA
03-22-06, 11:01 PM
What output mode is it in? Do you have a regular HDTV to test it on?
It's using 1080i and I only have the HD monitor. I could have connected it to the the Dell 24" but I went with the component cable instead of the VGA cable. I guess I could try the AV cable that came with it. Actually, I just checked and I have component inputs on the Dell LCD. I really hate to mess up my tidy cable job but I guess that is the best thing to test first. I've already openend the cabinet and that didn't seem to help any. I've got another component input I can switch with it also. I think I'll do that first since I won't have to change as much with the cables to do that one.

Are you using 1080i with yours?

evilchris
03-22-06, 11:06 PM
Are you using 1080i with yours?

My 360 outputs its native 720p, then my HP scaler scales to 1080p.

EDIT: Removed a couple lines, I didn't catch that it happens in the GUI also.

Anyways, first thing I'd try is 720p and see if it still happens.

Zelda_fan
03-22-06, 11:29 PM
as of now, I'm using an LCD with the VGA adapter and I don't have any of the symptoms you are describing.

OWA
03-22-06, 11:42 PM
My 360 outputs its native 720p, then my HP scaler scales to 1080p.

EDIT: Removed a couple lines, I didn't catch that it happens in the GUI also.

Anyways, first thing I'd try is 720p and see if it still happens.
Hmm, interesting. So far, I haven't seen it happen since switching to 720p and it usually doesn't take long for it to occur. Thanks, you might have solved the issue and I didn't even have to mess with the cables! :)

evilchris
03-23-06, 12:42 AM
Hmm, interesting. So far, I haven't seen it happen since switching to 720p and it usually doesn't take long for it to occur. Thanks, you might have solved the issue and I didn't even have to mess with the cables! :)

If your display is a 1080 display native, then your display is doing the scaling now and knows what it wants better than the 360. The only reason you would ever set the 360 to 1080 would be if you had a 1080 display that couldn't scale a 720 input, like an old Sony HDTV from the 700 series tubes.

Newer Sony tubes such as my XBR960 are 1080 displays. They accept a 720 signal but it's just upscaled to 1080.

Lil Sassy
03-23-06, 10:54 AM
Be sure to connect it to Xbox live. It costs nothing to set up a silver account. Then you can get system updates as well as game updates. There is a dashboard update that resolves some display issues. Please get this.

OWA
03-23-06, 11:09 PM
If your display is a 1080 display native, then your display is doing the scaling now and knows what it wants better than the 360. The only reason you would ever set the 360 to 1080 would be if you had a 1080 display that couldn't scale a 720 input, like an old Sony HDTV from the 700 series tubes.

Newer Sony tubes such as my XBR960 are 1080 displays. They accept a 720 signal but it's just upscaled to 1080.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, the display is native 1080p. Thanks again for the tip. It hasn't happened since switching it. :)

Be sure to connect it to Xbox live. It costs nothing to set up a silver account. Then you can get system updates as well as game updates. There is a dashboard update that resolves some display issues. Please get this.
Does this occur automatically or do I need to tell it to download an update. With games, it always asks but I don't know how system updates work.

Lil Sassy
03-23-06, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the info. Yeah, the display is native 1080p. Thanks again for the tip. It hasn't happened since switching it. :)

Does this occur automatically or do I need to tell it to download an update. With games, it always asks but I don't know how system updates work.Once you connect the system to xbox live (like I said, a silver account is free) it will automatically check for updates and prompt you. It's very easy and painless. Don't freak out though after the first update when you machine reboots itself. It's supposed to do that.

OWA
03-24-06, 09:39 AM
Once you connect the system to xbox live (like I said, a silver account is free) it will automatically check for updates and prompt you. It's very easy and painless. Don't freak out though after the first update when you machine reboots itself. It's supposed to do that.
I have the Xbox Live Gold since I had Xbox Live on the old Xbox. I guess it went through that update procedure and I just don't remember it.

OWA
03-29-06, 09:19 AM
Oh well, it is starting to flash some even at 720p now. I switched to a different component input on the monitor and it was the same. I'll try connecting it to the Dell LCD next and depending on how that goes, I'm leaning towards trying another component cable for the Xbox 360 next. I think I'll purchase the extended warranty from Best Buy while I still can also.

Edit: I bought another component cable but it doesn't seem to be helping. On another note, I got ripped off with the first cable. I thought it was a Microsoft cable but it must have been a Monster cable. The first one I bought was $70. The one I got tonight that is definitely a Microsoft cable was only $39.99. :(