PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to stress video card?

balex99
03-22-06, 11:32 PM
Been having a problem ever since I switched to my new Antec P180. I think I have tracked it down to one of my Evga 7800GT's. I can run each one by themselves with no problem but when I run them in SLI I get graphical errors and sometimes a lockup. Thought it was PSU (Antec TPII 550) but today I put a small room fan blowing on the Vid cards and problem has gone away(so far). So after all my testing how can I determine which card is the bad one? The PSU may still be the problem and the fan is actually cooling it as well. I just want to do everything possible to RMA the right piece of hardware.

Problem is def a heat issue. Just not sure if heat is getting to the PSU or the vid cards.:(

SigmaOrionis
03-23-06, 01:42 AM
If the videocards worked in SLI in your previous case I dont think either one of them is bad.

What do you show for temps in the control panel?

The cables on your powersupply should be long enough to allow you to run your PSU outside of the case and see if the problem goes away. Then you would know if its the PSU overheating.

I've always wondered how well a PSU would be able to breathe in that style of case. Especially one that just has one bottom mounted slow speed 120mm fan.

Hope you get it figured out.

einstein_314
03-23-06, 02:05 AM
Go here (http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/#Download) and download rthdribl and run it for half an hour or more. This will heat up your cards as much as they ever will. Maybe try it one card at a time too. You never know i guess. It definatly sounds like one of your vid cards is bad though. All you did was swap you rig to a new case? Definately weird

balex99
03-23-06, 03:43 AM
With my old case I had a 80mm fan blowing on the cards. With the new P180 there is no vid case fan. When I started experiencing the graphic issues, I moved my stuff back into my original case with the doors off and still experienced the issue. I put the small room fan blowing directly on the cards and all is well(so far). Will test some more in the morning. It also seems that even though I am not getting errors I am seeing a slow down while in SLI while playing FEAR. My test numbers look really low. Will check SLI vs. Non-SLI also when I get home.

Temps show max of 68 when running RTHDRIBL. However I do not see GPU 2 temps rising when running RTHDRIBL, only GPU1. Tried setting up profile but I must be doing something wrong.

And yea, all I did was swap over to new case.

skinnypotbelly
03-23-06, 04:25 AM
Temps show max of 68 when running RTHDRIBL. However I do not see GPU 2 temps rising when running RTHDRIBL, only GPU1. Tried setting up profile but I must be doing something wrong.

And yea, all I did was swap over to new case.

You need to change the SLI rendering mode from single gpu to something else. I picked auto select.

balex99
03-23-06, 09:18 PM
Well, I did the RTHDRIBL test and running both cards non sli and running sli with card in different slots temps were about the same for both cases 40 for the low and 62 for the high. Cards varied couple of degrees depending on the orientation. No artifacts on RTH test.

Ran BF2 in SLI mode with card 1 in top slot, got errors within 10 minutes. Ran in non sli mode, no errors.

Ran BF2 in SLI mode with card 2 in top slot, no errors(yet). Ran in non sli mode, no errors.

I have two things left to do, run memtest(I know, should have done it already), then reformat. After that I will RMA the PSU then start on the cards if problem still persists. One other thing that points to a PSU problem is when I install it into my P180, I hooked one of the 120 up to the FAN ONLY molex plugs(12v). The fan barely moved. Had to move the fan to a reg molex line and all was well(sorta). Also, Speedfan and the abitEQ utility both show my 12v at 11.5v. Drops to 11.35 when testing Rthdribl. Have not used multimeter on line but just another indication(may try tomorrow).

Dudes__Geof_
03-23-06, 10:51 PM
Uh, 11.5V is low in my opinion. Needless to say, 11.35V is just way too low. I don't think your power supply is giving enough power.

I do not think I would be alone to say that your power supply is definitely not giving off enough power, as that is out of the 5% range, I think...

DarkOneX
03-24-06, 12:54 AM
Oblivion

balex99
03-24-06, 01:20 AM
I have read not to trust the software reading for the motherboard readings so I will check it with a multimeter when I get home in the morning. I really hope it is the PSU so I can get another one and get on with things. I am tired of troubleshooting.

Not sure if I want to go back with a TPII 550 so I have been shopping around a bit. I was set on the PCP&C 510 until I saw the price. Man that is high.

keith33
03-24-06, 01:27 AM
I have read not to trust the software reading for the motherboard readings so I will check it with a multimeter when I get home in the morning. I really hope it is the PSU so I can get another one and get on with things. I am tired of troubleshooting.

Not sure if I want to go back with a TPII 550 so I have been shopping around a bit. I was set on the PCP&C 510 until I saw the price. Man that is high.

It will guarantee you stability though. If you want a little cheaper, go with an OCZ Powerstream that's SLI ready with 2 PCIe connectors. If you want to go all out, 1000W PCP&C :p

Blacklash
03-24-06, 07:12 AM
Yes the rthdribl is a good test. Hopefully I will be able to use Oblivion myself later today.

lee63
03-24-06, 07:19 AM
F.E.A.R. Maxed out ;)

Zandig
03-24-06, 10:17 AM
I'm running the PC Power and Cooling 510 with my Dual 7900GTs (see sig). At the 500/1500 settings on both cards in SLI all tests are fine except for 3DMark 2006 in the Firefly,Canyon and Deep Freeze. If I keep those settings in SLI I will get graphic anamolies. I have to bump back the GPU memory bus to 1490 for 3DMark 2006 to be perfect in SLI. I've ran tests with just about everything and 3DMark 2006 is the only program to produce this.

However if I run each card seperately they run all 3DMark 2006 tests and all other tests fine at 500/1500. I just bump my cards back to 500/1490 and leave it at that since their is virtually no difference in speed between the two settings and everything is rock solid.

I would say the best test for now is 3DMark 2006.

hemmy
03-24-06, 10:45 AM
the little fuzzy cube that comes with ATI Tool heats up the core more and faster than RTHDRIBL, despite being smaller

radekhulan
03-24-06, 11:05 AM
If you have dualcore CPU, I would recommend running RTHDRIBL (set SLI to AFR for this app e.g. via nHancer) on one core and Prime95 on another core. Thus both GPUs and CPU will get 100% utilization.

Like this: http://hulan.cz/temp/stress-test.jpg

balex99
03-24-06, 09:52 PM
I checked memtest this morning and all is well with my Mushkin PC4000. Played BF2 after that for about 45 minutes without issue(yea!). And that was with case fan not blowing on vid cards. Moved all components back to my P180(made sure cards remained in same slot with same power cable). Played BF2. All is well. Still had some slow downs with BF2 and FEAR Perf test so was planning to reformat. Checked Control panel and accidentaly had AA set to 8xS in Global. What a Noob. Ran FEAR Perf test again and numbers were where they should be. Something is still wrong with either the PSU or Vid cards. Should not be going through this much trouble. Did check voltage with meter and showed OK. Will still RMA the PSU and use it as a spare for me and a friends business. Going to order the Seasonic 600watt. Seems like very good price/performance ratio.

Thanks for all input.