PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 and HDTVs... VGA or Comp?

toxikneedle
03-23-06, 12:18 AM
I'm gonna get a 32'' LCD TV this summer for my 360 and I noticed something a couple of weeks ago. Most LCD's have their native res at 1366x768, now this is obviously not native 720p res but from what I read there's no loss in image quality as far as TV scaling.

My question is basically, should I buy a component cable for the 360? I got a core w/ HD and composite cables, but I also bought a VGA cable to run on my dell, and the VGA cable can output to 1366x768 res. So do you guys think it would be better to run it at native on the VGA cable or should I go out and get component cables and run it on 720p/1080i.

DJMONDY
03-23-06, 04:36 AM
I prefer vga as it gives me a sharper image quality compared to component.

toxikneedle
03-23-06, 11:29 AM
Well I read on hardforums (i think) that vga has washed out colors, is that true?

DJMONDY
03-23-06, 04:19 PM
I dont really know what to say about this washed out business.

Imo the colours dont look as vibrant through vga coz vga gives a sharper image but through component they look more vibrant coz its a more blurred image and so the colours look more..um..colourfull ;)

There is a difference between the two connections but its down to the individual which one he or she prefers and it can make a difference depending on what hdtv your using.

Try them both and see what you think.

Just remember though vga only runs a 60hz and if you wanted to play old xbox games on the 360 you might not be able to play all your titles (if you have any) as some of them run at 50hz only. but thats only for uk users i think. you would have to use component for 50hz games.

And some dvd's may look better or worse depending on the cable your using.

I just stick with vga for everything and i play my old xbox games on my old xbox :D

toxikneedle
03-23-06, 04:33 PM
Well here is what I got from the research I did on this topic:

1. A lot of people report washed out colors for VGA but some say that it is more sharper and you can set your TV up so the colors look just as good as component.

2. Component has good colors and some deny that VGA looks better/sharper, plus some TVs like Samsung have DNIe and other component only enhancements that VGA wouldnt have.

But overall what I learned is that it comes down to the tv you have. Some TVs have a good VGA connection and some don't therefore the only true way of knowing is by trying both....

Unfortunately this still doesn't solve my problem; that I'll need to buy a component cable in order to try them both...

BTW, the TV I'm thinking of getting ATM is the Samsung LN-S3251D which just came out recently. But if you have one of the Samsung LCDs, can someone tell me if you prefer VGA or component on it. Thanks.

OWA
03-23-06, 04:50 PM
The component cable is $10 more than the VGA cable so the component connection must be better. :p

I'm using the component connection but mainly b/c that gave me the most flexibility with my setup. Using it with the Westinghouse 37" HD monitor though.

shinrai
03-23-06, 06:24 PM
When setting my 360 up on vga i noticed the brightness was far too high. After turning this down the PQ automatically improved. Unfortunately such adjustments are beyond most people.

Well here is what I got from the research I did on this topic:

1. A lot of people report washed out colors for VGA but some say that it is more sharper and you can set your TV up so the colors look just as good as component.

2. Component has good colors and some deny that VGA looks better/sharper, plus some TVs like Samsung have DNIe and other component only enhancements that VGA wouldnt have.

But overall what I learned is that it comes down to the tv you have. Some TVs have a good VGA connection and some don't therefore the only true way of knowing is by trying both....

Unfortunately this still doesn't solve my problem; that I'll need to buy a component cable in order to try them both...

BTW, the TV I'm thinking of getting ATM is the Samsung LN-S3251D which just came out recently. But if you have one of the Samsung LCDs, can someone tell me if you prefer VGA or component on it. Thanks.

Gorion
03-24-06, 11:32 PM
The TV you get will probably make a big diff. I have a 56" JVC LcOS TV and the VGA looks terrible compared to the component.

toxikneedle
03-24-06, 11:59 PM
Alright well I'll just buy a component then, maybe if i got some extra money I'll buy a monster cable.... YEAH YEAH I know its a ripoff, but I REALLY like how the xbox 360 monster cables look, I like that white sleek look that I think is worth the extra 10 bucks alone.

I decided I'm probably gonna go with the new Samsung LN-S3251D. It has a special gaming mode and I'm gonna go to J&R or somethin and check it out next week.

msxyz
03-25-06, 01:57 AM
From a technical point of view, VGA should be better because the image is already split in the three color components and sync signals are carried separately. There is less circuitry involved between the source and the final destination, thus better preserving the original signal.

The HD component cables carry the color signal in an odd way (Y,Pb,Pr/Y) with the image encoded in a luma/chroma fashion (just like broadcast channels) and the color channels must be reconstructed. This allows Chroma and luma to be have different bandwidths (at the cost of defintion, though) just like happens on standard television

The only advantage I can think of is a less interference due to the cables and connectors being coaxials.

This is purely from a technical point of view. The quality of the television is fundamental and I heard as well many individuals claim that component gives a better definition on certain TV-sets.

Mathesar
03-25-06, 07:58 AM
360's VGA output is brighter and less colorful than it should be, for example my PC monitor has dual inputs and when switching between my PC and Xbox360 I have to use completely different monitor settings to compensate for the over brightness & lack of color saturation.(luckily the monitor saves settings for each input independently) I can get the 'washed out' look to go away but the colors are still a little on the dull side. I would imagine this washed out effect is even worse on LCDs being they have there own issues with black level performance.

Some games allow you to adjust brightness or set the display type which helps , Fight Night 3 has a "Vibrant" mode which boosts colors and contrast and it looks superb through VGA this way. perhaps MS should make it to where VGA users can adjust the gamma / brightness etc. through the Dashboard.