PDA

View Full Version : Another reason I love Sony!

|MaguS|
03-23-06, 06:45 AM
Sony haters always say that Sony is hurting the game industry... I always say the opposite without the playstation many genre's and series wouldn't have been what they are now. Sony has constantly shown more support and aim to please the gamers then any other console maker (even sega). They support their consoles the longest and make "sequels" for titles that didn't sell well to begin with (SoTC is from the maker of ICO which sold poorly). They also give their second party developers tons of freedom (GoW Creator and SOTC are making all new IPs).

And now they did another move that puts them even higher then MS and Nintendo...

The PS3 games will NOT be region coded... That means no more US fans getting screwed on Japan only games. We can import any game we want without having to mod our consoles. This is just an awsome move by Sony, Handhelds were the only systems to be region free but not anymore!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146475.html (nana2)

msxyz
03-23-06, 07:02 AM
Some Xbox360 games are not region coded, too. The decision is left to the publishers. I agree that region coding (particulary now, that PAL/NTSC differences are overcome) is a stupid thing from the past.

I don't know if Sony is going to enforce the "no region" directive or if it's just some clever way to say "we don't impose region coding".

PeterJensen
03-23-06, 07:33 AM
Sony haters always say that Sony is hurting the game industry... I always say the opposite without the playstation many genre's and series wouldn't have been what they are now. Sony has constantly shown more support and aim to please the gamers then any other console maker (even sega). They support their consoles the longest and make "sequels" for titles that didn't sell well to begin with (SoTC is from the maker of ICO which sold poorly). They also give their second party developers tons of freedom (GoW Creator and SOTC are making all new IPs).

And now they did another move that puts them even higher then MS and Nintendo...

The PS3 games will NOT be region coded... That means no more US fans getting screwed on Japan only games. We can import any game we want without having to mod our consoles. This is just an awsome move by Sony, Handhelds were the only systems to be region free but not anymore!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146475.html (nana2)

The x360 is not region locked. Only the games are. It is up to the publisher of the games.
I will bet you it will be just the same on the PS3.

saturnotaku
03-23-06, 08:24 AM

And somehow you believe this absolves Sony of being hardcore on imposing region restrictions on their first two consoles?

|MaguS|
03-23-06, 08:47 AM
The x360 is not region locked. Only the games are. It is up to the publisher of the games.
I will bet you it will be just the same on the PS3.

No system is region locked, its always the games. I took my PS2 to Argentina, My friend used his in Europe when he went on a school trip. The games though will not work on another regions system. This is what the PS3 is changing, Importing is now welcomed.

saturnotaku, Yes it does since they changed... Nintendo and MS still do not allow importing of games. Try to play a Japanese game on an x360, wont work...

msxyz
03-23-06, 08:53 AM
On TeamXbox -somewhere- there is a list of japanese games compatible with the us console, so it's safe to assume that the region lock is up to the publisher and not enforced by Microsoft.

Mr. Hunt
03-23-06, 09:08 AM
Oh man... this is awesome.

Wondering though... would this mean I could play a Japanese PS1/2 game on my PS3? I hope so... quite a few games I missed...

Lil Sassy
03-23-06, 10:49 AM
Well, this is cool and all, but the real contribution Sony adds to the gaming world is a collection of the very finest in CRT displays. That's their role in my gaming life, and it ends there.

evilchris
03-23-06, 11:24 AM
Well, this is cool and all, but the real contribution Sony adds to the gaming world is a collection of the very finest in CRT displays. That's their role in my gaming life, and it ends there.

...and they've killed them all :(

toxikneedle
03-23-06, 11:33 AM
I dunno, I mean if you're a Sony owner chances are you like those weird Japanese games and stuff. I never liked em, as fun as people say they are. Even like games that came here like Katamari, I hated. I know I and a lot of other xbox owners dont care for the japanese stuff. But whatever, at least Sony is making it easier for their owners to play the other stuff... so cheers to them.

LiquidX
03-23-06, 11:35 AM
This is great news for me because there are a ton of PS2 2D shooters and fighters I have always wanted to import that were stuck in Japan but could not get myself to mod my PS2 after the first one broke.