PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen??

Hereticiv
03-23-06, 08:44 AM
Hey all, I know this issue was brought up on the official forums but the search feature is busted over there and after searching here it seems no one has asked about the black screen issue. Basically, the screen will randomly go black, the hud and cursor stays and I can interact, hear speech, etc etc. I have the new drivers, I uninstalled the old ones first, then ran driver cleaner in safe mode and the installed the new driver so I pretty sure that's not the issue. Oh I also reinstalled DX 9.0c after installing the new "oblivion" drivers.

The weird part is all I have to do is alt-tab out of the program and then once I come back in the problem is fixed...then after a random amount of time it goes black again and then I just alt-tab and boom fixed. This cycle just keeps repeating itself. Anyone know of a fix?

P4 3.2
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
2GB PC3200
BFG 6800U (latest drivers)
Audigy 2 (latest drivers)

Hereticiv
03-23-06, 11:33 AM
Well, I found the post on the offical forums...it is the HDR that is causing the problem...I'll turn it off and try the game again tonight. I hope it gets patched though.

Also, some claim it may be an overheating issue...that I doubt but who knows, I haven't run any tests myself. I just doubt it because I'm not getting any artifacting or lock-ups or any of your other typical overheating symtoms.

DarkOneX
03-23-06, 08:11 PM
I was having this problem too until I installed the 84.25 beta drivers.

SH64
03-25-06, 01:49 PM
I'm having this problem too!! i thought i was alone getting this (using 84.25). maybe it has something to do with messing around with the .ini file commands ?!
the screen suddenly goes black for no reason. it happens esp after loading new maps/areas.

SlowJoeBlow
03-25-06, 10:56 PM
Count me in as well. Mine goes black when I'm talking to someone, though I'm using the 84.21's Let me know if there's a fix:o

JohnEJohn
03-26-06, 04:53 AM
I have tried the 84.21's, 81.24's and the 81.25's they all result in the same problem.

To be honest I prefer playing with 4*SSAA anyways, HDR is not really that great an effect for me.

This happens with or without the tweaks by the way

rflair
03-26-06, 05:27 AM
I had the Black screen thing, for me it was a codec conflict, specifically ffshow which is part of the KLCodec packs (except the basic), I removed the standard KLCodec pack which has FFshow and install the basic which doesn't and all is well. One really bad thing this conflict did was it somehow turned off the fan on the grphics card, my 7800GS was in the 90-100c range, thank god I have a 120mm fan mounted in the cases side that blows directly acroos the graphics card.

I've been playing without a single balck screen or crash of any kind for days now.

Sanur
03-26-06, 08:12 AM
I have the same problem. The screen suddenly goes black, except for a few things such as the compass.

I have the KL mega codec pack installed. I never would have thought that it could cause this. I will try to remove it then.

SH64
03-26-06, 08:49 AM
I have the same problem. The screen suddenly goes black, except for a few things such as the compass.

I have the KL mega codec pack installed. I never would have thought that it could cause this. I will try to remove it then.

Hmm yours is different than mine .. for me it goes completely dark.

i dont have any codec packs installed.

Lil Sassy
03-26-06, 09:50 AM
To be honest I prefer playing with 4*SSAA anyways, HDR is not really that great an effect for me.Wait till you see a clear sky HDR sunrise in Oblivion. HDR is an absolute must in this title. It is so incredible looking.

JohnEJohn
03-26-06, 12:20 PM
Well I don't have the FFDSHOW codec installed anyways so don't know where my problem lies.

As long as HDR is disabled all is well so not too sure at the moment. I'm too busy enjoying playing it to try any work-arounds at the moment :thinker: