PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Bearclaw
03-23-06, 04:29 PM
I am thinking about getting this and the more I read the better I realize it will be for my system. My system specs are below, I am currently buying those parts and building it.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Asus A8N-E nForce4 Socket 939 ATX Motherboard
Patriot Signature 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Maxtor / 300GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-150 / OEM / Hard Drive
BFG GeForce 7900 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Video Card

Those are the basics and then the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. But I found it here (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1421770&CatId=306) and it looks good. One main question I had was the maximum amount of RAM that could be used. I heard that in Windows Home or Professional (32 bit i think...the normal one) that it could only support 2 gigs of ram. But the webpage here for the 64 edition says it can support 128 gigs. Is that correct? I of course wouldnt be installing that much but I was just wondering. Also, what is the advantages for this O/S versus the "normal" (again..32 bit?) one?

Imbroglio
03-23-06, 09:45 PM
advantages -
major drop in loading times in games, os, etc due mainly to instructions being able to handle up to twice as much information as compared to 32bit processors

disadvantages -
64bit extensions are just starting to catch on in games, where as the only benefit for games is loading levels and maps quicker, afaik there are minimal and most of the time no increases in fps. As far as drivers go, drivers are just starting to catch on to 64bit instructions and many of the drivers are still in beta stages.

a side note is the xp64 is based on a newer NT kernel and is actually more stable than the kernel in xp.

On XP 64bit, a lot changes. XP 64 bit can address 16TB of virtual address space, rather than 4GB, thus making 8TB of space available for userland processes and 8TB of space available for kernel processes. The system cache available goes up from 1GB (32bit) to 1TB, and the kernel memory pools increase as well, for both paged (from 470MB to 128GB) and nonpaged (from 256MB to 128GB) pools.

Currently, Windows 64bit versions have a limit placed on them in that the cannot access more than 1TB of *physical memory* (they can still allocate up to 16TB of *virtual address space*) in the machine, but it's a fabricated limit within the Windows code itself, not the architecture (the 64bit architecture can address 16TB of physical memory, but Windows 64bit can only access 1TB).

hope this helps, some increases in video/audio encoding and compiling, but all in all xp64 is getting a lot better. i just wish they would fix the win autoupdates which want you to run 32-bit ie instead of 64-bit ie, then again it is microsoft we are talking about :p

Bearclaw
03-23-06, 11:45 PM
That helped a lot, thank you. As far as memory goes, is there a limit to how much I can have? For example, my motherboard holds a maximum of 4 gigs of memory, so could I do the maximum 4 gigs and have it work with x64 version? I know in the 32 bit version it couldnt really support that.(if i am correct?) Thanks so much for your help.

nutball
03-24-06, 01:53 AM
I run Windows x64 at work.

- Roughly 50% of the applications I've downloaded refuse to work with it
- I've had to wait three months for a compatible printer driver

In short ... Windows x64 isn't finished yet. Wait for Vista.

j0j081
03-24-06, 05:23 AM
I run Windows x64 at work.

- Roughly 50% of the applications I've downloaded refuse to work with it
- I've had to wait three months for a compatible printer driver

In short ... Windows x64 isn't finished yet. Wait for Vista.
Windows x64 is great, its 3rd party support that is lagging and anyway you most be downloading some obscure apps if 50% of them haven't worked.

To the orginal poster checkout the planetamd64.com forums.

shaker718
03-24-06, 07:01 AM
Windows x64 is great, its 3rd party support that is lagging and anyway you most be downloading some obscure apps if 50% of them haven't worked.

To the orginal poster checkout the planetamd64.com forums.

Do the adobe suite of programs (including the video editing ones) work in xp64? or do they just run as 32bit apps and not able to fully use the enhancements of the os?

Riptide
03-24-06, 08:16 AM
I switched back to XP32. I got sick of the stupid little hassles that came up when trying to load some games and software. Almost everything can be made to work. But lots of things require screwing with.

Bearclaw
03-24-06, 09:14 AM
So I'm assuming windows Vista will be x64? ANd what about the ram? If my motherboard holds a maximum of 4 gigs can i have a full 4 and will it work with x64?

nutball
03-24-06, 10:19 AM
Windows x64 is great, its 3rd party support that is lagging

Well then I hope Microsfot hurry up and take over the world!

To clarify: my point about "not finished yet" meant Wx64 + 3rd party, the combination. I don't care whose fault it is that <blah> doesn't work, because it doesn't work. If I can't get done what I need to get done, then it's a problem. If WinXP does <blah> and Win x64 doesn't do <blah>, then there's a problem with Win x64 as a platform. See?

nutball
03-24-06, 10:22 AM
Do the adobe suite of programs (including the video editing ones) work in xp64? or do they just run as 32bit apps and not able to fully use the enhancements of the os?

Distiller half-works, I can't speak for other apps.

The Adobe PDF Creator printer driver doesn't work (you know the thing that appears as a printer and creates PDF from any application which can print something). The Adobe web-site says to install their PostScript driver, create PostScript files and then use Distiller to convert those. So that's extra hassle to start with ... except the Adobe PostScript printer driver doesn't install either.

This is what I'm getting at ... there's too many little niggles and gotchas, most of which *will* turn round and bite you in the arse just when you've got a deadline.

Peoples-Agent
03-24-06, 10:40 AM
It's almost asbad as being a Linux user trying to get things to work on this OS.... it's not Microsofts fault though, its the companies who refuse to develop drivers for it.

Bearclaw
03-24-06, 10:53 AM
So I'm assuming windows Vista will be x64? ANd what about the ram? If my motherboard holds a maximum of 4 gigs can i have a full 4 and will it work with x64?

j0j081
03-25-06, 12:33 PM
I think of few of the Adobe apps do like Photoshop. I think there were some benchies somewhere and it's a lot faster at certain tasks.