PDA

View Full Version : PS3 "boomerang" controller gets the boot

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
03-23-06, 04:40 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/22/sony-confirms-ps3-controller-redesign/

Q
03-23-06, 04:49 PM
In a way, this kind of makes me sad. As bad as the other controller looked, it might have felt very good in one's hands. Why would they have designed it like that otherwise? It defintely wasn't for looks.

I'm confident that whatever they come out with now, it will be a good controller. A good controller is what really allowed the PS/PS2 to become the systems they were. Otherwise, all the good games and good graphics in the world wouldn't have mattered.

evilchris
03-23-06, 05:08 PM
In a way, this kind of makes me sad. As bad as the other controller looked, it might have felt very good in one's hands. Why would they have designed it like that otherwise? It defintely wasn't for looks.

I'm confident that whatever they come out with now, it will be a good controller. A good controller is what really allowed the PS/PS2 to become the systems they were. Otherwise, all the good games and good graphics in the world wouldn't have mattered.

PS2 doesn't have good graphics :)

Mr_LoL
03-23-06, 05:36 PM

GOd of war has good graphics :)

Q
03-23-06, 05:50 PM

Compared to what we have now...no...but the PS2 was on top for graphics for a while. And some games on the PS2 still look awesome. GT4 stands out, as does God of War as A_A stated.

evilchris
03-23-06, 06:08 PM
When was it on top? When PS2 launched Dreamcast had better graphics. By the time they improved Xbox was out and the Xbox destroys the PS2 graphically.

Infinity666
03-23-06, 06:25 PM

Neither does xbox
:kar:

evilchris
03-23-06, 06:27 PM
Neither does xbox
:kar:
Best of its generation. I'm tired of it now too though.

brady
03-23-06, 09:18 PM
Computers have bad graphics. (pirate)

Q
03-23-06, 10:04 PM
Computers have bad graphics. (pirate)

Only on an Amiga.

Mr_LoL
03-23-06, 11:36 PM
Anyway thank God that the boomerang controller is on the way out. The Dualshock is just fine all we need is trigger buttons.

Toss3
03-24-06, 06:13 AM
Anyway thank God that the boomerang controller is on the way out. The Dualshock is just fine all we need is trigger buttons.
Yup, but the xbox360 controller kills the dualshock any day! It's the best controller ever! Sony should have made it possible to use a 360 controller with the ps3 ^^!

|MaguS|
03-24-06, 07:15 AM
Yup, but the xbox360 controller kills the dualshock any day! It's the best controller ever! Sony should have made it possible to use a 360 controller with the ps3 ^^!

Might be since the PS3 uses USB... its up to the homebrew team to make compatible drivers for the linux OS, hehe.

Boogalo
03-24-06, 01:52 PM
The Dualshock is just fine all we need is trigger buttons.

functionally it was a great controller...ergonomics left something to be desired though.

Q
03-24-06, 01:55 PM

I have only ONE problem with the xbox360 controller...ok..maybe a few.

1. Piss poor PC drivers.
2. D-Pad. I like a very defined D-pad, not one that allows easy pressing of all directions. I know this is more of a personal preference, but precision in U.D.L.R. movements is a must with older games. ( I love my roms and older fighting games).

ralinn
03-24-06, 01:59 PM
When PS2 launched Dreamcast had better graphics.
You're kidding right?

As much as I loved my Dreamcast, the games on the PS2 looked far better when it was first launched. ZoE looked far better then ANYTHING on the DC.

GamerGuyX
03-24-06, 02:23 PM
You're kidding right?

As much as I loved my Dreamcast, the games on the PS2 looked far better when it was first launched. ZoE looked far better then ANYTHING on the DC.

PS2 games were low-res, jaggy-filled messes compared to DC games at the time.

msxyz
03-24-06, 05:10 PM
QFT

Plus the PowerVR inside the Dreamcast might have been quite fillrate limited but in terms of functionalities supported and quality of rendering it destroyed everyhting the PC market or any other console had till the pixel shader generation of cards came.

Mr_LoL
03-24-06, 07:02 PM
functionally it was a great controller...ergonomics left something to be desired though.

I thought the ergonomics were perfectly fine. They should copy the xbox360 controller and i'll be happy.

ralinn
03-24-06, 09:19 PM
Really? I didn't notice this.

I remember Quake 3 coming out on the DC, had some FPS issues. Then it came out on the PS2 and looked faaaar better. I also remember looking at the ZoE demo (when the PS2 first came our) and just gorping over how much it looked better then Sonic adventure (at the time SA looked just SO damn good).

House of the Dead 2 was one of the best loooking games on the DC though.... it's still even good looking now!

|MaguS|
03-25-06, 06:31 AM
To the people who claim that Dreamcast games look better then PS2, please show me a single DC game that looks better then MGS2/3, Final Fantasy X, Tekken 5, Virtua Fighter 4, ICO, Silent Hill 3, Devil May Cry 3, God of War and the Gran Tursimo Series.

If you want to compare games, use Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament, they both released for each console with the PS2 version being the closest to the PC versions with better graphics and no frame rate issues. DC just had online play...

The main thing that made the DC stand out was that it supported Hardware AA, while the PS2 does not (It's all software based). But the PS2 has better polygon output and raw processing power.

evilchris
03-25-06, 10:54 AM
When PS2 launched Dreamcast had better graphics.

Was MGS2 a launch game? No. Magus try harder to actually read the posts before you start arguing about something.

|MaguS|
03-25-06, 11:06 AM
Was MGS2 a launch game? No. Magus try harder to actually read the posts before you start arguing about something.

MGS2 was shown off at the E3 of the PS2's launch so the graphics were there at the time, the game was just not ready for release.

Zelda_fan
03-25-06, 11:16 AM
MGS2 was shown off at the E3 of the PS2's launch so the graphics were there at the time, the game was just not ready for release.

so now you are arguing that the PS2 had better graphical demo's than the dreamcast had games? lol give it a rest.

|MaguS|
03-25-06, 11:18 AM
so now you are arguing that the PS2 had better graphical demo's than the dreamcast had games? lol give it a rest.

Um, It wasn't a graphical demo... MGS2 was at E3, It was a video of the demo they released to the public later that year in Japan and then next year with Z.O.E. The game looked IDENTICAL to what was shown, NOTHING was changed.

Go to Gamespot and look at the E3 2000 footage.

And if you want to continue to argue about the PS2 launch titles then Tekken Tag Tournament (The US Lauch version did not have the Alaising issue that the Japan version had.) was graphically superior to any other fighting game on the Dreamcast, even Soul Calibur.

You then also had Smugglers run which had the largest enviroments any game has ever seen at the time and even SSX looked better then most of the DC Games.