PDA

View Full Version : SLI Settings in Forceware driver

The Bigman
03-23-06, 10:16 PM
I noticed this when using sli in advance options you can sli render single gpu or multi gpu. When i have it to default, "single Gpu", i still had a big performance increase in games and when i enabled multi GPU rendering i didn't notice much over what i had in games.

What does this option really do? and has option for sli AA too. SLI is good but if not set right nothing will make a differnece. i do get some stutter in quake 4 with 16 12 res ultra mode and 4AA 16AF. but still pretty smooth.

OWA
03-23-06, 10:21 PM
I noticed this when using sli in advance options you can sli render single gpu or multi gpu. When i have it to default, "single Gpu", i still had a big performance increase in games and when i enabled multi GPU rendering i didn't notice much over what i had in games.

What does this option really do? and has option for sli AA too. SLI is good but if not set right nothing will make a differnece. i do get some stutter in quake 4 with 16 12 res ultra mode and 4AA 16AF. but still pretty smooth.
Install coolbits so you can control the modes. I think it works better that way.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_appprofile_howto1.html

The Bigman
03-23-06, 10:33 PM
does coolbits effect game performance or stability just being installed? and that mode did effect some game performance. i don't use custom profiles because when i play a game i have to choose the profile for that game like Quake 4 when i play that game i would have to go to profile for quake 4.

OWA
03-23-06, 10:45 PM
No, coolbits just unlocks some hidden functionality to give you more control over some of the settings.

The predefined profiles or profiles you add yourself get activated automatically. Once you set them up, just start the game like you normally would and the profile for it gets activated automatically.

The Bigman
03-23-06, 10:50 PM
i noticed some differences in sli rendering split rendering auto detect alternate freme rendering alternate frame rendering 2. What should i use in those settings to get the most speed out of Quake 4 and Fear?

Also there are 2 profile areas the one on the left for games and stuff and the one on the right saying current profile.

OWA
03-23-06, 11:02 PM
If you check the profiles that Nvidia provides, they already have SLI values for those and in most cases, you shouldn't try to override their settings. In general though, AFR and AFR2 provide the most performance/benefit so I always start with those if there isn't a pre-defined profile already.

The Bigman
03-23-06, 11:03 PM
in general with no profile just global in SLI what is the best one to use with both cards doing equal work and giving all that power and beuty?

OWA
03-23-06, 11:13 PM
Try AFR first and if you have problems, try AFR2 next. Most newer games seem to work best with AFR or AFR2.

The Bigman
03-23-06, 11:52 PM
how does that corelate with multi GPU or single GPU? can bot cards do equal work with AFR or AFR 2?

einstein_314
03-24-06, 12:28 AM
Yes. AFR stands for Alternate Frame Rendering. So basically the cards take turns rendering frames. This is the best way for splitting up the load. SFR is Split Frame Rendering which is where it splits each frame in two and each card renders part. AFR is definately the best way. I'm not sure on the difference between AFR and AFR2 though..Maybe OWA knows...

DarcSchnider
03-24-06, 09:38 AM
I think the biggest issue surround SLI is that its not user friends to others that are not technical. SLI alone even with the right profiles does not mean it will work. In many cases you may have to trun off certian settings in order for the hardware to function correctly. Example in Dungeons and Dragons online it is SLI ready however the multi GPU mode will not work until you turn off Post video processing in the game. Other titles such as oblivion will not funtion if you have verticle sync checked on in the game. In EQ2 you have to disable bloom and verticle sync.

As you can see its not always as simple as just turning on a function and bang it works. The best way to see if your gpu's are both working is to enable the show load balance. This will display either a green line accross your screen that moves in SFR mode, or in AFR 2 white lines with a green indicator filling between the lines form center to both top/bottom of the screen. If you do not see the indicators then chances are either the game does not support SLI or there are other things you have to change in the game to make it work.

The Bigman
03-24-06, 09:53 AM
Its all trial and error here with this thing. I like owa's points alot of this topic. Im sure their is alot of threading about this topic and what to do.

DRen72
03-24-06, 11:42 AM
Other titles such as oblivion will not funtion if you have verticle sync checked off in the game. In EQ2 you have to disable bloom and verticle sync.

So in your findings, SLI does not function in Oblivion if VSync is set to OFF? (or did you mean ON?)

I'm fairly sure SLI works in Oblivion when VSync is OFF based on most other threads I've been reading about Oblivion.

DarcSchnider
03-24-06, 02:41 PM
Yhea, hehe I updated that. It has to be set off to work ;)

So in your findings, SLI does not function in Oblivion if VSync is set to OFF? (or did you mean ON?)

I'm fairly sure SLI works in Oblivion when VSync is OFF based on most other threads I've been reading about Oblivion.

OWA
03-24-06, 03:10 PM
I think the biggest issue surround SLI is that its not user friends to others that are not technical. SLI alone even with the right profiles does not mean it will work. In many cases you may have to trun off certian settings in order for the hardware to function correctly. Example in Dungeons and Dragons online it is SLI ready however the multi GPU mode will not work until you turn off Post video processing in the game. Other titles such as oblivion will not funtion if you have verticle sync checked on in the game. In EQ2 you have to disable bloom and verticle sync.

As you can see its not always as simple as just turning on a function and bang it works. The best way to see if your gpu's are both working is to enable the show load balance. This will display either a green line accross your screen that moves in SFR mode, or in AFR 2 white lines with a green indicator filling between the lines form center to both top/bottom of the screen. If you do not see the indicators then chances are either the game does not support SLI or there are other things you have to change in the game to make it work.
Turning off post processing effects seems more like a HDR+AA type of issue not an SLI type of issue. SLI shouldn't affect the type of settings you use. Vsync does work with SLI but the load balancer normally won't show up even though it's working. Using SLI + vsync isn't quite as smooth for me though so I rarely use it.

Edit: I guess I should say in the games that I play I never had to change game settings for SLI to work. I don't have EQ2 or D&D. What is the issue with having SLI on plus using whatever feature in those games?

DarcSchnider
03-25-06, 12:45 AM
If SLI is on and the other features are on, then the SLI does not work. There are many topics on this in diffrent game forums. the Vsync when on in DDO and oblivion causes the frame rate to drop huge to the point of what a single card would do. This is why if you do not see the load blance then the second GPU is not working according to the tests.

The Bigman
03-28-06, 11:37 PM
Im starting to get the whole thing with SLI. I did some tests and got a wierd result.

I used the bar for sli to see the usage of both cards. I did Farcry UT2k4 and Quake 4. I got mixed results with all three games but i found a sweet spot for all games use Alternate Frame Rending 2 and that gave the most FPS in games like FEAR and FarCry quake 4 and such but didn't get the green bar in FarCRy but did something i set Vsync to application control and i got the bar in farcry and the game ran better not alot but better and seen the green bar in others too. but when i trun on vsync i don't get the bar and ut2k4 no bar but in quake 4 i got bar but no green.

Anyone got any idea of this? I think with vsync to auto and AFR2 u you the best results.

Cheers.

Peoples-Agent
03-28-06, 11:51 PM
If SLI is on and the other features are on, then the SLI does not work. There are many topics on this in diffrent game forums. the Vsync when on in DDO and oblivion causes the frame rate to drop huge to the point of what a single card would do. This is why if you do not see the load blance then the second GPU is not working according to the tests.

That might be true of Oblivion , but in most other games I get alot better performance even when the load balance bar don't show.
In FEAR, I don't think it shows with VSync on but it performs drastically better in the Settings Test.