PDA

View Full Version : Picking Locks...

Marvel_us
03-24-06, 11:50 AM
Anyone have any tips for picking locks? Some of them seem damn near impossible. Am I just not doing something right?

Tygerwoody
03-24-06, 12:05 PM
picking locks is EASY, even with a low skill

Here is what you do. Pick a peg to bounce up. Bounce it a few times. You will notice that randomly the peg will bounce up slower and stay up top for longer, not only that but it also makes a different sounding "click" when it goes up. When the peg is up at the very top on the "slow bounce" is when you click your mouse(or controller) to lock it in place. Then do the same for the next peg.

At first when I tried I thought it was impossible too. After using this technique i hardly EVER break a pick. Not only that, but I actually close my eyes when i am picking a lock(yes I'm serious). When you close your eyes you can listen to the distinct sounds the peg makes when it is going up. There is a specific sound for the "slow bounce" and when you hear that immediately press your button and it will lock in place.

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

CaptNKILL
03-24-06, 12:05 PM
Well, make sure you have a decent security skill.

That and the trick is to click when the tumblers are at the highest point. Some times they stay longer, some times they fall really fast.

Some times my timing is off and I'll break 15 picks in a row. Other times, I'll breeze right through a very hard lock (5 tumblers). I love the lockpicking system though. I like being able to do something if I try hard enough, rather than just being screwed because my skill level is 49 rather than 50.

EDIT: Tyger's tutorial sounds a lot better than mine. I didnt realize they made different noises... I'll have to give that a try :p

Marvel_us
03-24-06, 12:16 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I can't wait to get home later and try it out. I found that a lot of the cool stuff is behind locks and I can't get to them! lol, I will definately try the listening technique.

Banko
03-25-06, 01:56 AM
The best thing was I was randomly on my horse going through somewhere around Imperial City and there was this tower with writing on it. Now when you use the writing it gave me 2 random spells and one unlocks all locks up to the Hard skill. Very hard it doesn't do sadly.

msxyz
03-25-06, 03:03 AM
The lockpick minigame is frustrating. The persuasion mingame is err... stupid but at least it's quite easy to understand how it works and it does not even need a perfect timing.

I've read as well that the key is listening to the "click" sound, but sometimes I still end up breaking lockpicks with no reason. My advice: go to Shady Sam and purchase a crapload of lockpicks.

Garulfo
03-25-06, 11:26 AM
The sound the slow bounce tumbler will make is simply a double click.

You will once in a while still break a lockpick. It is hard to get it perfectly right every time. But, in general, try to click your left mouse button as soon as you hear the double click sound. Do not wait for the tumbler to be all the way on top. It should work. On the other hand if you wait too long and the tumbler is starting the come down (even so slightly that you do not even see it moving yet), your lockpick will break.

So basically it is *clickclick-CLICK!!!*.:D

zoomy942
03-25-06, 12:00 PM
Now, I just need someone to PLEASE. tell me where I can get more lock picks. Please Please please

|MaguS|
03-25-06, 12:02 PM
I find plenty in dungeons... I have over 40 now.

de><ta
03-25-06, 12:35 PM
Also press F5 before you start lock picking. :p

jAkUp
03-25-06, 02:12 PM
Also press F5 before you start lock picking. :p

Yes :) Never waste a lockpick! :D

SH64
03-25-06, 02:18 PM
Make sure to check the lock level before picking it .. some locks are calssified as very hard so its better to come later & try them when you have much higher security skill ;)

SH64
03-25-06, 02:20 PM
Yes :) Never waste a lockpick! :D
Its no problem to waste them because with each try you gain experiance .. even if it didnt work.
i already wasted many lockpicks but gained some good experiance :D

de><ta
03-25-06, 03:31 PM
You dont gain experience for breaking a lock pick ;)

You gain experience for pushing up tumblers in a lock. :)

SH64
03-25-06, 04:03 PM
You dont gain experience for breaking a lock pick ;)

You gain experience for pushing up tumblers in a lock. :)

Yeah yeah thats what i meant :p

jAkUp
03-25-06, 04:05 PM
Some of them are extremely difficult.

Currently I am a level 10, but have managed to open a few Very hard locks, but it took me about an hour..lol

SH64
03-25-06, 04:15 PM
Some of them are extremely difficult.

Currently I am a level 10, but have managed to open a few Very hard locks, but it took me about an hour..lol

If Oblivion follows the same way of lock pickers in Morrowind then there are other types of lock pickers you might get later in the game like the Journey man , Master's & GrandMaster's lockpicks. these are much better to use for hard & very hard locks.
but since the ones you get early in the game arent classified (as Apprentice lockpick for ex.) then maybe its not the same way of Morrowind , anyone can confirm that ?