PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 1942 STUTTERS.....BAD

mwat
01-26-03, 10:01 PM
I'm having some mojor stuttering issues with BF 1942 on my 2 Geforce boxes that I haven't been able to fix. My box with the ATi 9700 Pro runs the game great on max detail. My first box is a AMD XP 1800+ ECS K7S5A with 512 PC 2100 and a Geforce 3 Ti 200 Retail SiS 735 chipset with updated drivers, 2nd box is a laptop P4 2.4 with a Intel board with a 82xxG chipset [updated drivers] 512 PC 2100 and a Geforce 4 420 go with 32 DDR dedicated. I have followed the tweaktown guide to try and fix the issues and lowered the resolution and detail to the lowest possible and I still get these issues. I have also tweaked my OS's on both boxes, XP Home Ed on the laptop and 98SE on the other. Is there a GF fix out there that will fix this. BF is updated to 1.2 and I even tried the 1.3 patch off the EA tw site to see if this would fix it and that has not worked. I feel that the two copies for the GF boxes are wasted since the game is un-playable. It stutters the worst when I'm on a battleship. The GF 3 has the latest drivers and the laptop has the latest nVidia drivers from Toshiba. I've also turned the sound to the lowest quality and this does not help much either, it does cut the stuttering down a bit but the game is still un-playable. Any help would be apperciated.

Serath
01-26-03, 10:38 PM
I'm kinda having the same problem with a few games myself. I dunno what the problem is. I get it in GTA3, NFS-HP2, and Test Drive. Games run fine for a couple of seconds, then frame rate drops waaayyyy down, then jumps back to normal. Only seems to happen with D3D based games, no matter what rez or detail settings I use. I've got a P4 1.6Ghz, GF4TI4200, and 512MB PC133 ram in windows XP pro :/

Hope someone can help

EDIT: OH! quick question. Are you using DX9 by any chance?

mwat
01-26-03, 11:12 PM
Nope. Stayed with DX 8.1 for the GF boxes. The ATi box has DX 9 installed. Do the official nVidia driver support DX 9? I know the laptop drivers won't since Toshiba compiles there own from the nVidia build and there always a few months behind.

Jon
01-27-03, 01:32 PM
Serath, have you tried the patch for GTA3? If you install the patch, you are allowed to copy the audio files over to your hard disc from the CD. This solved the stuttering on my computer, it turns out that it was the CD access / seek times causing it to stutter as it transferred the radio station audio. I would guess its a similar problem for most driving games as they need to load large amounts of info off the Disc at a time.

As for BF1942, I don't really think adjusting the resolution or details settings help with performance. The only sure way I found to eliminate stuttering is to lower the % of AI players in the game.

Jon
01-27-03, 01:34 PM
Oh, by the way, on a seperate note mwat, what version of the detonator drivers are you using? I remember a while back some people complained about stuttering in BF1942 but later posted saying that newer versions of the detonators smoothed it out.

Serath
01-27-03, 02:06 PM
I've got all the latest patches and even no-cd fixes for the games.
it shouldn't have any trouble snagging data fast enough. I've got 2 drives and the games are installed on the second drive (7200 rpm 18gb). The drive was defragged and everything :/ maybe it's just a driver thing for me. time to check some new ones.

The Baron
01-27-03, 03:58 PM
you guys tried 3DAnalyze?