PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion CPU bound at times and other findings

sillyeagle
03-24-06, 02:27 PM
I’ve been too busy testing and tweaking to play much, so I thought I would share what I’ve seen.

First of all I have run into at least one instance, in the city, where the game is CPU bound. This was at 27fps. Interesting or not, the game does have its CPU bound moments.

Also interesting is that when I enabled AF I take a small performance hit, though no matter what level I set AF to the performance hit is the same. For example I get 47fps with application control, when I turn on 2xAF via the driver it drops to 43fps, but even if I take it up to 16xAF it remains at 43fps.

HDR causes no performance hit at all, at least I have not yet found an case where it does.

AA bogs me down so much that its hard to justify using it. I get better performance at 1600x1200 HDR then I do at 1024x768 2xAA.

The best performance/quality balance I have found for my setup is 1280x960 16xAF w/HDR, all in game settings maxed except for int/ext shadows, which are set to default. I would do 1600x1200 but my Diamondtron only does it at 60Hz.

I had more I was going to share but I’m at work right now and don’t remember what I was going to write. Lol

Lance

Gorion
03-24-06, 02:43 PM
Interesting. I have a logitech G15 keyboard and it shows cpu/ram usage while playing and i must say it is rare that I see over 50% cpu or ram usage.

I play at 1280X960 with in game settings maxed but on the driver side I have it on High quality and application controlled AA/AF.

But the game looks great to me and runs fine.

Although I must admit I'm playing it more on my 360. The 56" widescreen is just a lot more fun than my 19" monitor.

Tygerwoody
03-24-06, 03:00 PM
Although I must admit I'm playing it more on my 360. The 56" widescreen is just a lot more fun than my 19" monitor.
Yea, I'm actually considering hooking my PC up to my 57" HDTV just to see how it looks. :cool:

sillyeagle
03-24-06, 03:14 PM
Interesting. I have a logitech G15 keyboard and it shows cpu/ram usage while playing and i must say it is rare that I see over 50% cpu or ram usage.

Yeah I even throttled down my CPU to make sure it was hinging on the CPU and not something else, and sure enough the frame rate dropped accordingly.

J-Mag
03-24-06, 03:34 PM
Yeah I even throttled down my CPU to make sure it was hinging on the CPU and not something else, and sure enough the frame rate dropped accordingly.

There obviously is more radiant AI needs in the city than in the wilderness... I would like to see someone who has dual core do a quick comparison with single core in the city to see what kind of benefit there is.

Also , did you try running your proc overclocked and comapre the results vs stock speed or was that essentiall your comparison. What did you "throttle back" to?

And one more thing: what driver rev are you running?

DansFace
03-24-06, 03:37 PM
Is there a way to lower grass detail? Right now I have grass turned completely off because of the framerate hit

sillyeagle
03-24-06, 04:05 PM
did you try running your proc overclocked and comapre the results vs stock speed or was that essentiall your comparison. What did you "throttle back" to?

And one more thing: what driver rev are you running?

I was OCed, 245MHz on the bus, and I throttled down to 220 to see about a 3fps drop, from 27fps to 25fps.

I'm using the 84.24 driver.

SH64
03-24-06, 05:20 PM
Yep & heres my experiance :
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=848394&postcount=46

Epyx
03-24-06, 11:45 PM
Yea, I'm actually considering hooking my PC up to my 57" HDTV just to see how it looks.

It will look great. When I can get tv time in I hook my PC up to my 50" hdtv which has PC input as well as HDMI and man it looks gorgeous. Give it a try on yours and I am sure you will like it.