PDA

View Full Version : Triple LCD gaming setup with SLI?

swaaye
03-24-06, 02:02 PM
Is it possible to run 3xLCDs in a spanned resolution mode with a SLI setup? Like 3 20" Dell screens @ 5040x1050? (1680 * 3)

Q
03-24-06, 02:11 PM
Is it possible to run 3xLCDs in a spanned resolution mode with a SLI setup? Like 3 20" Dell screens @ 5040x1050? (1680 * 3)

I'm not completely sure. I know that you can't even run two monitors and have SLI enabled. If you disable SLI, you can do dual monitors, however. I think I've heard that even with SLI disabled it will only let you push two monitors, but I'm no expert.

TierMann
03-24-06, 02:13 PM
With SLI enabled you can only use one monitor. This is supposedly being worked on, but so far hasn't been implemented in drivers (as far as I know).

With SLI disabled you can use 2,3 or 4 displays for gaming depending if the game supports it or there's a way to tweak it to use multiple displays (the game's config files, or using windowed mode, etc).

swaaye
03-24-06, 02:40 PM
So to run 3 monitors you'd be using 1 video card for all the rendering and there is no way around this?

Q
03-24-06, 02:43 PM
With SLI enabled you can only use one monitor. This is supposedly being worked on, but so far hasn't been implemented in drivers (as far as I know).

Tiermann, this isn't directed towards you, but what a load of ****, man. NV has promised to get multi-mon support with SLI for literally years now and haven't came up with a real solution yet. This is my MAIN reason that keeps me from going SLI.

swaaye, regarding your last post...
If you have SLI mode turned on, you will only have ONE display being used. The other two will simply be blank no matter what.

If you have SLI mode turned OFF, you can push up to FOUR displays, but there will be no added acceleration that you would enjoy using SLI.

SignorSalad
03-24-06, 02:56 PM
I've been wondering if the Matrox triplehead2go or dualhead2go device would accomplish this. theoretically you plug your monitors into this device, and it has one connection to video card, so the system thinks its outputting to one monitor only @ resolutions like 2560x1024 or 3840x1024. If that is actually the case then SLI *should* work.

Has anyone out there tried this?

swaaye
03-24-06, 03:13 PM
yah too bad it's analog. Kinda bad for LCDs.

sznupi
03-25-06, 03:42 PM
It's entirelly possible, just by using oneoutput of your SLI GFX cards. Just get Matrox TripleHead2Go - externall hardware device (no drivers necessary, it reports itself to OS as one wide monitor) which splits one wide signal into three.

http://matrox.com/graphics/offhome/th2go/gaming/home.cfm

Q
03-25-06, 03:49 PM
The problem with the TripleHead2Go is that applications see it as one display. This means that HUD's are split between displays, many games exhibit a stretching effect, and windows don't maximize to one display when you hit maximize. It would work, but it's kinda sloppy.

sznupi
03-25-06, 04:14 PM
No stretching problem - adjustable FOV. Image isn't stretched, you get 3 times the size of it on one monitor.
Rest of things you mention aren't problems of this hardware, just omisions on part of developers (let us be honest...since it was impossible for a long time to play reliably on Nvidia and ATI in "surround gaming" mode, developers didn't care...and BTW, any reliable gaming on 3 monitors on Nv or ATI will also see the displays as one), not very problematic at that, and whole thing is definatelly worth it (just try it in some FPP or racing sim).

eva2000
03-25-06, 08:58 PM
Tiermann, this isn't directed towards you, but what a load of ****, man. NV has promised to get multi-mon support with SLI for literally years now and haven't came up with a real solution yet. This is my MAIN reason that keeps me from going SLI.

swaaye, regarding your last post...
If you have SLI mode turned on, you will only have ONE display being used. The other two will simply be blank no matter what.

If you have SLI mode turned OFF, you can push up to FOUR displays, but there will be no added acceleration that you would enjoy using SLI.
solution use 2x 7900GX2 dual GPU (quad gpus) with sli disabled :)

swaaye
03-29-06, 02:02 PM
This is something that would get me to spend $1000s. Talk about an immersion boost beyond imagination lol. Too bad the companies don't seem to care.

Paddywak
04-14-06, 04:20 PM
The problem with the TripleHead2Go is that applications see it as one display. This means that HUD's are split between displays, many games exhibit a stretching effect, and windows don't maximize to one display when you hit maximize. It would work, but it's kinda sloppy.

I've done a review of the TripleHead2Go ...

You can maximise to any of the three screens ... or the whole desktop ... I didn't mention it in my review as it didn't even enter my head that it wouldn't ... and ... the stretching effect isn't the problem you think it is ... more info on that in the review ... Click Here (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/reviews/matrox-triplehead/surround-p1.php)

Q
04-14-06, 04:39 PM
I've done a review of the TripleHead2Go ...

You can maximise to any of the three screens ... or the whole desktop ... I didn't mention it in my review as it didn't even enter my head that it wouldn't ... and ... the stretching effect isn't the problem you think it is ... more info on that in the review ... Click Here (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/reviews/matrox-triplehead/surround-p1.php)

I stand corrected, then. I could have swore that I read at extremetech/anandtech/one of those places/ that the stretching was one of the limitations in the implimentation. However, since I can't provide a link (I'm way too lazy) I'll just take your word for it!

Paddywak
04-14-06, 04:54 PM
The stretching only looks bad when you look at the static screenshots ... when you are in a game and focused on the centre screen the side screens fill up your peripheral vision and any stretching really isn't noticed ... :)