PDA

View Full Version : A few gripes, maybe some will get rectified by mods?

glObalist
03-25-06, 07:32 AM
- Fast travel:

It lets you fast travel to places you have NOT been to before? WTF? I thought the fast travel option between two locations would be active only after you have traveled to that other location, not before.

- Minimap:

There is none whatsoever, and it takes you a while to figure out where in the context of the area you are heading. Wish there was at least a mappable key (M) for the map of the area you are in. Now it's down to the F4 key which might but also might not take you to the map screen, depending on which tab you have selected previously.

- No combat/RPG feedback:

Well I kinda expected this, but why isn't there any "You blocked 5 dmg points" or "You hit Ugly Goblin for 10 pts of damage" indication on the screen? The reason I miss this is because the spells and some enhanced weapons actually HAVE dmg/block/absorb points in their description, but you just don't see that working in "real life" so to speak. Same thing with torches or repair hammers - how am I supposed to know how long this particular torch/hammer will serve me before it runs out?

Do you guys think this can be rectified by a future mod?

|MaguS|
03-25-06, 07:40 AM
Those are some good points, I find myself hitting "M" often in effort to bring up the map... its a habit.

I would like to see a better 3rd person camera with a crosshair, I like playing 3rd person games but man its impossible with how its setup now.

I would also like to see some racial bonus and negatives. As a Dark Elf I would like people to fear me due to my evil race and elves should also have some sort of dark vision...

A D&D mod for the game would rock... awsome world but pretty stale background mechanics (no racial aspects and pretty straight foward rules).

undercover
03-25-06, 08:11 AM
- Fast travel:

It lets you fast travel to places you have NOT been to before? WTF? I thought the fast travel option between two locations would be active only after you have traveled to that other location, not before.

I agree with the 'instant travel' option. I enjoyed romping through morrowind with my Boot of Blinding Speed or flying over the hills with a levetation spell.

Now we have horses it's shame you can just teleport. I like the compromise of having the quick-n-dirty instant travel for locations you've already travlled between.

Also, why does holding a blazing torch not have any effect on you sneak!

|MaguS|
03-25-06, 08:52 AM
Also, why does holding a blazing torch not have any effect on you sneak!

Because the AI is just plain stupid. I have had full combat with a goblin while his friend was standing away from us looking off the other direction just 10 feet away. The only smart AI is the scripted AI...

glObalist
03-25-06, 09:23 AM
I would like to see a better 3rd person camera with a crosshair, I like playing 3rd person games but man its impossible with how its setup now.

QFT, I was so looking forward to play this in 3rd person but alas it's not rewarding at all as it is with the lacking crosshair.

zoomy942
03-25-06, 10:59 AM
the teleport thing let me down too. I love finding new places. But at least there are lots of places between cities to explore

|MaguS|
03-25-06, 11:05 AM
I hope a mod out there makes Axe's a slashing weapon, no clue why they are considered a blunt weapon in the game...

techfloyd
03-25-06, 11:10 AM
I hope a mod out there makes Axe's a slashing weapon, no clue why they are considered a blunt weapon in the game...

This was a subject of much contorversy. The rationale given by the devs. was that using the Axe require the same skills as a blunt weapon which is not to say that it is a blunt weapon.

Badboy_12345
03-25-06, 11:32 AM
well u dont need to use the teleport thing so I dont see a problem...:confused:

jAkUp
03-25-06, 01:10 PM
Exactly.. don't like fast travel? Don't use it. Its that simple.

As for that AI, yea its not very good. Its a few steps ahead of Grand Theft Auto... which isn't a good thing.

Subtestube
03-25-06, 03:48 PM
I would also like to see some racial bonus and negatives. As a Dark Elf I would like people to fear me due to my evil race and elves should also have some sort of dark vision...

I see this as very possible, but your point regarding people fearing dark elves is (in my opinion) very very wrong. In no Elder Scrolls game have the dark elves been evil - they're just another race of elves. It would be cool if certain characters had prejudices against various races (i.e. - a xenophobia rating if you will), but the world should remain internally consistent with regards to the fact that races have no determining factors on good or evil.

Edge
03-25-06, 05:00 PM
Exactly.. don't like fast travel? Don't use it. Its that simple.

Except that it's a standard gameplay feature which is out of place and frankly detremental because it takes away from the exploration element and makes it seem like all the other travel options are pointless. Why not just add a button to level up to max and go right to the last boss while their at it? After all, you don't have to use it if you don't want, right?

-=DVS=-
03-25-06, 07:06 PM
Don't know why everyone complains about fast travel , you can only fast travel to City's once you exit tutorial and that is normal considering your character lived in this world before he got to jail he was born in it.... :D
And you don't exacly travel instantly game time passes by in background world changes , if you rather run around from city to city and watch sun go down you can do so this is single player game noone is forceing you this experiance , others might get bored from running around the forest with 20 FPS average so i much prefer auto function ;) , also all the dungeons or items that get added to you map you can't travel to them instanly you must have visited it atleast once , and moust of the map is unexplored anyways :rolleyes: so there is alot of exploration to do.