PDA

View Full Version : Just can't get into this type of RPG anymore

FearMeAll
03-25-06, 09:30 AM
The last RPG of this medieval/fantasy type I was able to enjoy was Gothic 2. Now trying Oblivion and I just CANNOT give a hoot about the initial story. Bought the game on Direct2drive and I know I can't get a refund but I can just tell I am going to have trouble getting into this game. And yes the performance is abysmal on my rig but still perfectly playable but I don't think that's the reason I can't get into this. Every RPG I first played on whatever rig I had at the time ran like complete crap but I still liked it a lot and it was mainly because the characters were so colorful. So far Oblivion's characters seem a little bland...but I'm also having trouble getting into playing Fable and it runs like butter. I don't care for the characters either and it just doesn't feel that great completing a quest for them anymore.
I think I know what game has ruined me from anymore fantasy RPGs....it's Vampire Bloodlines. I freakin love the characters they came up with in that game and having a contemporary setting makes it so much more engaging to me. I loved getting into dialogue with every character in bloodlines and the cussing in that game made it feel all the more tactile and gritty to me. I think it will be the last game of it's kind since that game studio went south after releasing the game.
Oh well I'm stuck with Oblivion now. Paid 50 bucks and I know I will never beat it. I've just never been so uninterested in a game's story in many years. I'm hoping the same thing won't happen to me in Gothic 3 but I'm pretty sure it will.

BioHazZarD
03-25-06, 09:37 AM
Yeah sucks.. thats why they always should release game demos its not fun paying for a game that you cant just seem to wanna play anymore after a few hours.

FearMeAll
03-25-06, 10:05 AM
Yeah sucks.. thats why they always should release game demos its not fun paying for a game that you cant just seem to wanna play anymore after a few hours.
I giving it a shot though cuz I did pay for the thing. Graphics are pretty but I just hope I can get engaged in the story enough. It's like this for me in every game, as soon as I lose interest in the story it is the end of the game for me.

BioHazZarD
03-25-06, 11:17 AM
Yeah this is a game you must play a few hours before you can make a judgment its not your standard boring fps it will get better the more you play.

FearMeAll
03-25-06, 11:20 AM
Yeah this is a game you must play a few hours before you can make a judgment its not your standard boring fps it will get better the more you play.
yeah I am exploring stuff now..got it running very smooth too. Just turned off shadows on grass(shadows on grass makes me lose about 15fps and it doesn't even look any different with it off), self shadows(which look terrible), and have bloom on, FSAA at 4x, aniso at 16 and it never goes below 30 fps which is more than playable for this type of game.

TheTaz
03-25-06, 12:46 PM
Well, I find the stories of the quests more immersive than most RPGs.

Comparing to Vampire, which is very linear, I'd guess that you need to adjust to the scope of the "non-linear-ness" of Oblivion.

It takes a bit longer to "get into it", because there are a ton of choices...

To name a few...

1. Do main Quest steps.
2. Join a fighter, theif, or mages guild, or all 3, and start doing quests to raise rank in the guild (which helps with main quest since you raise skills)
3. Overhear conversations and talk to same NPC's regarding what you overheard for miscellaneous quests.
4. Go explore and loot / kill in dungeons without any quests.
5. Fart around with creating spells or potions.

There is no wrong way to play an Elder Scrolls game. You pretty much do what you want, whenever you want. But because of the scope of the game and the choices, there's quite a learning curve there, especially if one has never played an Elder Scrolls game before. Don't expect to run through the main quest like a shooter or RPG hybrid (Vampire, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, etc.) It doesn't work that way. ;)

BTW... there's a little cussing in it (Damn, @ss, etc.).... just not dropping the F-bomb like Vampire did. ;)

-Taz

FearMeAll
03-25-06, 01:18 PM
Well, I find the stories of the quests more immersive than most RPGs.

Comparing to Vampire, which is very linear, I'd guess that you need to adjust to the scope of the "non-linear-ness" of Oblivion.

It takes a bit longer to "get into it", because there are a ton of choices...

To name a few...

1. Do main Quest steps.
2. Join a fighter, theif, or mages guild, or all 3, and start doing quests to raise rank in the guild (which helps with main quest since you raise skills)
3. Overhear conversations and talk to same NPC's regarding what you overheard for miscellaneous quests.
4. Go explore and loot / kill in dungeons without any quests.
5. Fart around with creating spells or potions.

There is no wrong way to play an Elder Scrolls game. You pretty much do what you want, whenever you want. But because of the scope of the game and the choices, there's quite a learning curve there, especially if one has never played an Elder Scrolls game before. Don't expect to run through the main quest like a shooter or RPG hybrid (Vampire, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, etc.) It doesn't work that way. ;)

BTW... there's a little cussing in it (Damn, @ss, etc.).... just not dropping the F-bomb like Vampire did. ;)

-Taz
yeah I'm getting into it now. Very big world and I have tweaked out all the graphical settings just the way I want them to be. Never notice any hitching now and the game can just be jaw dropping at times. Doing a few quests now.

SH64
03-25-06, 01:27 PM
I'm sorry for you dude .. this game is ULTRA fantastic if you learn how to get into it , otherwise .. good luck with some other game!

FearMeAll
03-26-06, 08:48 AM
I take back everything I said. I love this game. can't put it down.

SH64
03-26-06, 08:51 AM
:wtf: :eek2:
good to hear , but what changed your mind ??

Capt. Picard
03-26-06, 08:59 AM
:wtf: :eek2:
good to hear , but what changed your mind ??

The fact that he got better at playing it.

Mr_LoL
03-26-06, 11:15 AM
I really cant get into it either as i dont have a clue whats going on. I dont even know how to cast spells. When I try, my hand just flashes.

CaptNKILL
03-26-06, 12:37 PM
I really cant get into it either as i dont have a clue whats going on. I dont even know how to cast spells. When I try, my hand just flashes.
Youre casting heal...

Read the manual! :p

Anyways, glad the original poster saw the light :D

This game is amazing. I was tired at like 3AM and I was going to just get back to the imperial city, sell some stuff, then call it a night. I ended up finding a dungeon on the way back. It was pretty damned big. And it was full of timber wolves and black bears. The black bears in this game are FEROCIOUS. I died a few times fighting with them. But man, that place was worth it! I found a constant effect Resist Normal Weapons 13% ring (which boosted my armor rating by 8%!), and a few other very expensive pieces of equipment to sell. I had so much crap by the time I left that I had to use my Feather potions (which I made myself) so I could carry a lot more and get back to my horse, then back to town.

Long story short, it was 5:30 before I finally decided to call it a night.

This game is so addicting its rediculous. Best freaking game I've ever played.

killahsin
03-26-06, 02:06 PM
hey man let me help you out. Target = range spells. Touch = melee range spells.

Rytr
03-26-06, 02:19 PM

Be careful it can get addicting!
Morrowind did that for me. At first, I did not think I would like it as the game seemed too long and drawn out...ugh!, the leveling up system seemed to take forever. However, I found myself playing just about every night for an hour or two...this went on for months. I still enjoy going back and opening up the game as you can always find something new. Oblivion will undoubtedly be the same.

Capt. Picard
03-26-06, 02:42 PM
Youre casting heal...

Read the manual! :p

Anyways, glad the original poster saw the light :D

This game is amazing. I was tired at like 3AM and I was going to just get back to the imperial city, sell some stuff, then call it a night. I ended up finding a dungeon on the way back. It was pretty damned big. And it was full of timber wolves and black bears. The black bears in this game are FEROCIOUS. I died a few times fighting with them. But man, that place was worth it! I found a constant effect Resist Normal Weapons 13% ring (which boosted my armor rating by 8%!), and a few other very expensive pieces of equipment to sell. I had so much crap by the time I left that I had to use my Feather potions (which I made myself) so I could carry a lot more and get back to my horse, then back to town.

Long story short, it was 5:30 before I finally decided to call it a night.

This game is so addicting its rediculous. Best freaking game I've ever played.

Done. I buying this game.

Now to just find a place here in South Africa that actually has it. I could order it but I don't have a credit card. I suppose I could just pay the money directly into their account. Yes that's what I'll do.

anticitizenzero
03-26-06, 02:56 PM
I agree with you on that, This game is addicting as hell and in my mind is borderline one of the best games i've ever played.

TheTaz
03-26-06, 03:13 PM

As Killahsin said, there's a difference between range spells and touch spells.

As Captnkill said... Read the manual. That's not being rude or eliteist... reading the manual THOROUGHLY is practically a necessity for a game like this, because it's so huge and complex. It's not even a huge manual... I wish there was more info in it, like a list of guild ranks, etc. It's very easy to read through it in 30 min, and well worth it.

Once you get past the learning curve, it's extremely addiciting. I find myself playing for several hours... force myself to take a break... and within 30 minutes, I'm back at it! :D

-Taz

CaptNKILL
03-26-06, 06:05 PM
Yep, I've had the manual on my lap most of the time while Im playing. If I come across something I dont totaly understand, or if I need to double check on how something works, I can find it in there. I have to say, Pete Hines did an awesome job on the manual. Its thorough, looks great and has just the right info without being overwhelming.

By the way, the NPC "schedules" are real. As if anyone had any doubts. I waited outside a theives guild member's house and watched him come out the side door at 11pm with a torch and walk to the usual meeting place so we could talk. If I had gone to talk to him in his house, he wouldnt have been wearing his leather armor and he would refuse to talk to me about theives guild stuff.

This game is freaking kick ass.

Bethesda really outdid themselves this time. :)

a12ctic
03-26-06, 08:56 PM
I disagree about the manual, i glanced at it while the game was installing but i found it easier just playing it out, after the first lvl you pretty much have the idea down... Although maby i just catch on easier than you guys :-P

killahsin
03-26-06, 09:41 PM
i dunno you have the idea that for instance. you can't make a spell unless you have a lower version of the spell? Or the idea that you cant enchant a weapon un;less you have a lower version of it? Or the concept behind how to make enchanted weapons all together after level 1??? How about the different soul stones their capacities and their recharge rates. Or even the extra abilities givien to you as you level up your combat skills. you would be surprised how many people don't know that right or left +hold down attack= chance to disarm for only specific weapons. or shield bash or knockdowns. or the different tools needed for the alchemy system etc etc.

TheTaz
03-26-06, 10:15 PM
I disagree about the manual, i glanced at it while the game was installing but i found it easier just playing it out, after the first lvl you pretty much have the idea down... Although maby i just catch on easier than you guys :-P

Well I never claimed one couldn't basically figure out the game. Especially if one has played an Elder Scrolls game before, or is heavy into RPGs.

But, Killahsin answered well again. There's a ton of vital info in the manual, that inspires a person on "what to try next".

I see people posting that they haven't done any quests, and just wander around raiding caves and mines and stuff. While I stand by my statement that "there is no wrong way to play an Elder Scrolls game"... I cringe at how much people are missing out on, with that kind of playstyle. This ain't an FPS-Diablo. ;) Then they bitch that they're bored or can't figure out what to do... because they are missing out on what the game is all about, and the associated content.

Granted... one can "Conquer" the whole game without doing any quests, if that's what one is into... (Conquer meaning clear every dungeon, max out character, etc.) ... But, man, what a total waste of immersion, IMO.

-Taz

Mr_LoL
03-26-06, 10:44 PM
Ok cheers i will read the manual and start playing again when I get a decent graphics card in a couple of weeks time. Enjoying it so far.

General
03-28-06, 07:45 PM
You cant truly learn compleatly everything about how to play the game in the first few hours, it takes some time. I played Morrowind for 4 years( trust me I dont get out much, I maxed out every skill with out cheats and compleated all three of the main quests along with all the guilds aside from the fighters. ) even with all that Im still learning new things from oblivion (total oblivion play time: 46 hours 32 minutes).