PDA

View Full Version : Crashing / Locking up

newb4ever
03-25-06, 11:08 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm running into a problem with the game. It seems about every few mins. the game locks up. It's to the point where the graphics are still moving but I can't control anything. The mouse pointer freezes along with keyboard controls. The avatar on the other hand is still moving around (aka breathing movement). I have to Ctrl + Alt + Del to get to the task manager just to get out of the game.

Now I have read a few posts on some websites saying it might be a codec conflict but I uninstalled all my packs.

I'm not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

-+>Aaron

SH64
03-26-06, 06:10 AM
Posting your system setup & drivers would be a good start.

newb4ever
03-26-06, 07:34 AM
I knew I forgot something...

Abit Nf7-sv.20
Athlon xp 3200+
512 DDR Dual
ATI x1600 Pro 512MB
Windows XP
480 PSU
36 Gig Raptor

I'm running the newest drivers from all the sites.

oneils
03-26-06, 09:33 AM
Try lowering the video options or settings of the game. It sounds like you just have them on too high for the x1600pro. So, turn off any AA or AF, HDR, Vsync, Bloom. Try the game like that for a while. If that does not work. Try lowering the view distance, object fade settings, and shadows.

If this does not work, I'm not sure what could be the problem. You may want to make sure you have no other programs operating in the background of your computer. You could also try defragging your hard drive.

S.O.

s3th
03-26-06, 09:39 AM
Visit:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=277963

(When the forums are back up that is, hehe :D)

It says something about how to fix the problem when your keyboard/mouse input doesn't respond anymore ;)

SH64
03-26-06, 10:16 AM
Also dont forget to disable the joystick in the .ini file .. just in case.
oh & BTW 512MB system RAM is kinda low for Oblivion. i'd recommend 1GB+

newb4ever
03-27-06, 10:13 AM
Hey guys,

Thank you for the suggestions, but none of them worked. From what I have read, I'm not the only one having this problem. To get right down to it, it seems to be the input lock up problem. I did disbale the joystick in the ini file but that didn't work.

I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm almost tempted for a format.

-+>Aaron

Alois
04-28-06, 12:04 AM
I'm getting the same issue as you. Every 5 minutes or so my input will lock up, but the game will continue to run normally. AI will still function, enemies will still attack, and the graphics will perform normally. I also have to Alt+Ctrl+Del to shutdown the game.

P4 3.0 Prescott
1 gig PC3200 DDR
Asus 9600XT (soon to be replaced)
WD 120GB 7200RPM
Windows XP Pro /w SP2
Latest ATI drivers, and latest DirectX
Award Modular BIOS v6.0

I've also tried the .ini fix, it didn't work. What chipset and BIOS are you running newb? I have a feeling the problem lies there.

zorzj
05-27-06, 07:10 AM
From my experience, problem is in AWARD BIOS & ATI X1K family graphics(X1600 and X1300). A'll try ewerything but only AMI BIOS mbo's and X1300, X1600 work without any problems!!!

So that's the problem solving!!!

Try it, delishees, sweet but no fat up! :D

HedgeHocker
07-16-06, 01:54 AM
Did anyone in the forum find the solution?? If you did please share. I have this exact issue also.

AMD64 4000+
ASUS A8N5X
Corsair XMS 3500 series 433DDR 1Gbx2
Hitachi 120Gb SATA drive
eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO 512Mb
Lian Li ...huge black server case w/lots of quiet fans
Thermalright cooling sinks. Panaflo cooler fan
Quality cables
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 470 (ample - called it in)
...um
Logitech MX518 game mouse with latest drivers and defaults.
Saitek keyboard
edit: Creative SB Audigy 4 Pro

Anyone with new information on this popular sortware bug?
I'm guessing a major incompatibility.

K007
07-16-06, 02:03 AM
If your using .exe cracked then game has a problem.

HedgeHocker
07-16-06, 03:58 PM
That's it?

I own a copy.

HedgeHocker
07-16-06, 08:16 PM
K007 ....you know what...if that wasn't about a stupid thing to say it was just rude of you. 1000 posts or not you should be told to stfu.

This problem is common. Anyone experienced with this I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.

No TROLLS ...please.

K007
07-17-06, 07:54 AM
Erm..it wasen't a rude thing..I used it myself because i hate using the discs all the time, and i kept getting annoying crashes..when i had disc on it wasen't a problem. So i made a mini image of the disc and since had no problem.

Take a chill pill please..if you check the KOTR post by captn..he also had the same problem and it was related to what i said...I wont bother with helping you out again.

For the record i have not had this problem show up on my old rig or my new rig. And yes 512MB ram is a little low..I had problems with 1GB Dual Channel memory :/

nekrosoft13
07-17-06, 08:10 AM
i had this problem, then it went away, now its back again. really have no clue what is causing it