PDA

View Full Version : CoolBits detection of optimal frequencies

ElderDruid
03-26-06, 02:00 PM
So I just ran the Coolbits detection of optimal overclock frequencies on my 7900GT, and it came up with:

Core: 547MHz
Memory: 849MHz

That's pretty surprising. I did not leave the settings there but instead reset back to default.

I'm wondering what others' experiences have been with this auto-detection and if it usually winds up being accurate.

Thanks.

XDanger
03-26-06, 02:15 PM
if coolbits is the overclocking tool in nvidia drivers then Id say its quite random.I guess it depends on the temps at the time coz if you run it several times the overclock gets lower and lower. when cool it offers me 870 mhz on 700 mhz ram , ive never tried to run a game at this speed.

ElderDruid
03-26-06, 02:17 PM
if coolbits is the overclocking tool in nvidia drivers then Id say its quite random.I guess it depends on the temps at the time coz if you run it several times the overclock gets lower and lower. when cool it offers me 870 mhz on 700 mhz ram , ive never tried to run a game at this speed.

Thanks. What speeds have you been able to run at reliably?

I guess it's best to just take the safe approach -- raise core by 15MHz, benchmark, etc, then raise memory, benchmark, etc.

Darkfalz
03-26-06, 04:35 PM
I believe it's somewhat conservative, it probably tries until there is any kind of error then drops back 50 MHz or so. On my previous 6600GT it would barely give me anything, something like 516/900 (for 500/900 stock). On my new one gives 553/1.01 or thereabouts. So I know I have a better card.

j0j081
03-27-06, 05:19 PM
It is definitely not conservative. Most of the time it tells you way to high.

ElderDruid
03-27-06, 07:40 PM
It is definitely not conservative. Most of the time it tells you way to high.

Well, I just played with some overclocking. I gradually increased the clocks to 540 core / 800 mem, and everything looks stable through several runs of 3dmark06 and some Oblivion gameplay. I may try to go a bit higher on the memory.

Darkfalz
03-27-06, 09:00 PM
Anyone who overclocks just to score higher in benchmarks is a bit of a dill. I'd say with a 7900 GT you're going to be CPU limited 95% of the time even at 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF. Are you sure you need it?

ElderDruid
03-27-06, 09:26 PM
Anyone who overclocks just to score higher in benchmarks is a bit of a dill. I'd say with a 7900 GT you're going to be CPU limited 95% of the time even at 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF. Are you sure you need it?

I'm interested in having the best possible Oblivion experience on my hardware. The game seems to be "better" with the higher clocks, but maybe it's just my imagination. I'll have to run some actual quantitative tests to verify.

xorbe
03-28-06, 05:13 AM
yes, i've had the auto-detect return way too high values for the clocks. don't trust it.

Roch
03-28-06, 09:28 AM
You can run the Artifact tester in ATI Tools to check the overclock, it works fine with Nvidia cards.

Darkfalz
03-29-06, 11:32 PM
You can run the Artifact tester in ATI Tools to check the overclock, it works fine with Nvidia cards.

In my estimation this only detects artifacts for memory obviously too high, even heated up and error free on the artifact tester, glitches can be seen in games. I ran 40 minutes artifact free on 525/1.05 and then ran 3DMark03, and I noticed glitches in the Ragtroll test. Lowered back to 500/1000 and glitches were gone.

I know one thing, the auto detecter doesn't test core/memory seperately. It increases them both about an equal percentage at a time. For example, my original was 500/900, it suggested 550/1000 or 548/996 that kind of thing, increasing them both about the same percent.

When I flashed a new BIOS to have it set permanantly to 500/1000, and I ran auto detect again, it detected 534/1.07 - in other words increasing both by about the same percentage until it hit a wall. Now I know my memory isn't really stable under stress at 1.05+ so it's no good.

Manually testing both core and memory is still the best way to do it. And best to do it on a warm day, if you do it on a cool day most likely when the weather heats up, you'll have problems.

odin318
03-30-06, 12:44 PM
what are people using to overclock their 7900 gt's? the new Rivatuner doesnt support it yet.

Digital_Trans
03-31-06, 06:24 AM
I don't even have to worry about Coolbits. My Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard has a setting in the bios called Peg Mode. Peg Mode allows one to overclock thus allowing for faster performance. Or I can just set it to auto. Infact, I'm an Intel user and this motherboard even allowed me to overclock my Intel Pentinum D Extreme Edition 840+ 3.2GHz = 3,200MHz GHz to 3.86GHz = 3,860Mhz of corse I'm water cooled so that helps out alot. (nana2) You never hear )))) anyone bragging about their AMD getting overclocked that high cough...cough I've had no problems since I moved to Intel from AMD. Normally, if I were to try and overclock any AMD I'd get a lockup, blue screen, system crash or someting that would just suck bad! Now, all I get is performance with none of those problems I was having with AMD.

TimeOut
03-31-06, 09:19 AM
what are people using to overclock their 7900 gt's? the new Rivatuner doesnt support it yet.

Coolbits 2

Xophile
03-31-06, 11:13 AM
TimeOut:

Link please!

TimeOut
03-31-06, 11:28 AM
TimeOut:

Link please!

www.google.com :)

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815 :p

Slammin
04-01-06, 07:01 AM
I don't even have to worry about Coolbits. My Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard has a setting in the bios called Peg Mode. Peg Mode allows one to overclock thus allowing for faster performance. Or I can just set it to auto. Infact, I'm an Intel user and this motherboard even allowed me to overclock my Intel Pentinum D Extreme Edition 840+ 3.2GHz = 3,200MHz GHz to 3.86GHz = 3,860Mhz of corse I'm water cooled so that helps out alot. (nana2) You never hear )))) anyone bragging about their AMD getting overclocked that high cough...cough I've had no problems since I moved to Intel from AMD. Normally, if I were to try and overclock any AMD I'd get a lockup, blue screen, system crash or someting that would just suck bad! Now, all I get is performance with none of those problems I was having with AMD.

Not sure why you picked this thread to talk about cpu overclocking, but 3.2 to 3.8 overclock, especially with water, is not a whole lot to brag about. I ran my p4 3.0@4.1 daily, and this Opteron I'm using now runs at 2.0 stock and I run it at 3.0 daily. Sounds like you have lacking overclocking skillz! :D

Tho Jo Smale
04-01-06, 08:52 AM
Not sure why you picked this thread to talk about cpu overclocking, but 3.2 to 3.8 overclock, especially with water, is not a whole lot to brag about. I ran my p4 3.0@4.1 daily, and this Opteron I'm using now runs at 2.0 stock and I run it at 3.0 daily. Sounds like you have lacking overclocking skillz! :D

yeah who is he trying to impress....not us AMD nubs I hope.