Pages : [1] 2

anticitizenzero
03-27-06, 01:06 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200603/N06.0324.2249.59492.htm

Its mentioned May 31st is no the target release date

Rakeesh
03-27-06, 01:08 PM
Haha...at this rate they'll never release that thing. :rofl

BTW, anybody besides me think of Dennis Nedry (the fat guy who gets acid spit in his face by the velociraptor) from Jurrassic Park when they see Gabe Newell in that picture?

superklye
03-27-06, 01:09 PM
I'm shocked. A VALVe game delayed? This is highly unusual for them...

|MaguS|
03-27-06, 01:10 PM
That blows but atleast they didn't cancel it like Blizzard just did with Starcraft:Ghost...

Tygerwoody
03-27-06, 01:22 PM
That blows but atleast they didn't cancel it like Blizzard just did with Starcraft:Ghost...
They DID!?!?!! omg...

Blizzard is turning from my FAVORITE game developer to probably my most hated. Blizzard is now the game developer that only catters to newbies(WoW!!!!). Shame on you Blizzard :thumbdwn:

Rakeesh
03-27-06, 02:02 PM
Blizzard pissed me off with two things. First they had this random "crash to desktop" bug in starcraft that gave no error messages or anything. Sucked because you'd just be playing and be in the middle of a game and then BAM you are looking at your desktop. It didn't affect that many people, but blizzard never looked into it either, which pissed me off because I couldn't even play the game with the PC that I owned at the time as a result, which meant that I had to wait until after its prime days were over before I could play it multiplayer.

And then they made warcraft 3. That game totally sucked ass, and the expansion set was even worse.

I was kinda hoping that starcraft ghost would redeem them in my book, but oh well I guess.

superklye
03-27-06, 05:28 PM
The thing that really pisses me off about Blizzard is NO EFFING STARCRAFT 2!

j0j081
03-27-06, 06:12 PM
WTF is HL Episode 1?

nutcrackr
03-27-06, 06:18 PM
Episodic content is going to be great I think. But really could a worse developer be making the switch? Here we have unquestionably the runner-up to the most poor time-management/estimation skills in the business. Only 3Drealms holds the title and even that might be a joke. Seriously if they have to delay the first episode a few months (nov-may) then what hope have we got that the subsequent episodes after ep 2 will be delivered in a timely (6 month) manner? The whole point of episodic is regular, frequent content. The whole point of Valve is delays, delays, delays.

Rakeesh
03-27-06, 06:29 PM
Here we have unquestionably the runner-up to the most poor time-management/estimation skills in the business. Only 3Drealms holds the title and even that might be a joke.

Well, I think valve holds that title actually. 3DRealms doesn't tell you that a game is almost done, give you a bunch of screenshots with an exact release date, and then release it two years later with much of the content that was in the screenshots yanked out of the final product. And 3DRealms has only done that with one title. Valve does it with all of their titles that they have ever released. And TF2 is pretty close to being on the DNF scale as far as duration goes, only it was supposed to be nearly finished and it also had a release date.

Brimstone7
03-27-06, 07:04 PM
Well on the bright side the interview implies that we'll be given some new info on the G-man. The Half-Life series is worse than "Lost" when it comes to giving 1 answer along with 1,000,000 more questions.

superklye
03-27-06, 07:10 PM
WTF is HL Episode 1?
The first of four episodes (the first three of which are related, the fourth being a complete tangent) that further the HL2 story/universe after the ending of HL2. Aftermath is no more...it is now spread out among the three episodes that area direct follow-up to HL2.

And the best part? Roughly 4-6 hours each and $20 minimum for each. What a rip-off.

VALVe actually makes me WANT to pirate their games, not because I want to try before I buy or because I can't afford them, but because there is no way a single one of these 4 hour episodes is going to be worth $20. Instead of putting out one expansion for around $30, they'er putting out at least 4 worth $80.

Rakeesh
03-27-06, 07:41 PM
I think with valve games it would be better just to wait until later after its release when it is cheap in the retail stores because they are competing with steam. HL2 went down to like $20 after 6 months. Some places were selling it for $10 about a year afterwards. Retail prices don't drop that fast or to that low for pretty much every other game it seems. Not even HL1 dropped that fast. (Valve of course countered this by releasing the HL2 "Game of the Year Edition" at a higher price which includes less than the original did.)

Plus it isn't til much later that you find out that certain "all inclusive" collectors editions aren't really all inclusive.

supra
03-27-06, 08:51 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/rdonlyres/5F850E51-6AB2-428E-80E1-77A74F82F0CA/8920/gabe1.jpg

off topic but doesnt that guy inda middle remind you of the fat guy in F.E.A.R? :D

superklye
03-27-06, 09:11 PM
HAHA! He does!

Rakeesh
03-27-06, 09:52 PM
BTW, anybody besides me think of Dennis Nedry (the fat guy who gets acid spit in his face by the velociraptor) from Jurrassic Park when they see Gabe Newell in that picture?

http://orbita.starmedia.com/~necrose/Sci-Fi/Filmes/jurassic6.jpg

supra
03-27-06, 10:14 PM
lol yeah him too!.

ur sig is so long i missed what you said. hehe :D

superklye
03-27-06, 10:34 PM
It wasn't a Velociraptor. It was a Dilophosaurus. And it isn't acid, it's venom that causes blindness. :)

Sazar
03-27-06, 11:00 PM
http://orbita.starmedia.com/~necrose/Sci-Fi/Filmes/jurassic6.jpg

Your sig long enough?

:eek:

$n][pErMan
03-27-06, 11:08 PM
VALVe actually makes me WANT to pirate their games, not because I want to try before I buy or because I can't afford them, but because there is no way a single one of these 4 hour episodes is going to be worth $20. Instead of putting out one expansion for around $30, they'er putting out at least 4 worth $80.
LoL ... GG EA.

j0j081
03-28-06, 05:24 AM
The first of four episodes (the first three of which are related, the fourth being a complete tangent) that further the HL2 story/universe after the ending of HL2. Aftermath is no more...it is now spread out among the three episodes that area direct follow-up to HL2.
oh interesting. suprised i didn't hear of this sooner but then again whoever checks the source engine forum anymore.

Brimstone7
03-28-06, 06:08 AM
[pErMan']LoL ... GG EA.

Gabe Newell seems more focused on finding new ways to sell games to people than he is about making good games. Every interview he gives talks about how great episodic releases are going to be, etc. etc. What bothered me most was the video interview he did with Gamespot (I think) a few months back. He goes off on a rant about how he hates the new systems and how "having to worry about multiple processors doesn't make his life any easier." WTF man. Every other developer is raving about the creative freedom they have and how they're excited to take on the new challenge while this guy is worried about how fast he can get his product to store shelves (or, if he has it his way, how fast he can upload it to steam).

I loved HL2 and I think the Steam platform is a good idea. I don't like the fact that Newell here is more concerned with the bottom line then he is making good games. I say let him make Half-Life 3, answer our questions about the story, then leave gaming for good.

|MaguS|
03-28-06, 06:13 AM
Newell is nolonger a part of the development process. He controls marketing and managing Valve now. He isn't in the same spot as say Carmack who has hands on with the development process. That is why he only talks about how to sell games and reach customers easier without hassle.

Before you bitch about a person do some research...

superklye
03-28-06, 07:27 AM
Newell is nolonger a part of the development process. He controls marketing and managing Valve now. He isn't in the same spot as say Carmack who has hands on with the development process. That is why he only talks about how to sell games and reach customers easier without hassle.

Before you bitch about a person do some research...
It doesn't matter what he does. His only concern is making as much money as possible, hence the episodic release which allows for them to put out less material sooner, and charge a killing for it. Just because he's in marketing, doesn't mean his focus should shift...good marketing makes you seem like you care about the customer and they're gaming experience...don't you think more people will like your company and buy your products if they think you're concerned with them and giving them the best gaming experience possible, rather than making the most money for themselves at the extended cost of the consumer?

I know I would be MUCH more likely to buy from a company that seems to care about more than money.

anticitizenzero
03-29-06, 04:45 PM
Wow guys, this is getting even worse, Its being delayed yet another Month to June 30th!!! WTF
Recent reports from Game Informer quoting Doug Lombardi of Valve had confirmed that Half-Life 2: Episode 1 had slipped from its April 24 release to May 31. After speaking with an EA representative, we have since learned that Episode 1 is now scheduled for release on June 30, with the May 31 release date seemingly already out of date.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/0-0-2006-2481.html