PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted with BFG.............

holdenb
03-28-06, 03:39 PM
Customer service & lifetime warranty......what a joke!!!!:thumbdwn:

I bought 2 x 7800GTX 512mb cards and since day 1 i have had artefacts in games like quake IV & FEAR and the 3d marks. The temperatures were fine

I am no n00b so i obviously tried all the usual........no CPU overclock, different graphics & chipset drivers,....etc etc

still no joy. I tried both cards individually and still got the artefacting.

As a keen overclocker, it is obvious to see that these cards are simply unstable at the factory overclock.

so i contacted customer support, and all they have done is give me the run-around!!
Ignoring the fact that i previoulsy ran a pair of 256mb cards (self overclocked) in the same rig with no problems.........
So far they have blamed the case temp, the PSU, the MOBO drivers, the graphics drivers, the BIOS, and the man on the moon

At no stage have they even come close to suggesting that their cards might be at fault.

My advice. Don't pay the premium for a BFG product....get a cheaper brand and do-it-yourself. I certainly won't again

:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

ynnek
03-28-06, 04:48 PM
I'd like to say, I'm on the total opposite of the spectrum.. BFG support so far has been great. My 6800GT mysteriously died on me after about what almost 2 years? I called up tech support, explained to them what happened, and he immediatly gave me an RMA #.....

Epyx
03-28-06, 05:02 PM
You probably have seen my RMA nightmares with BFG and their infamous 7900gt capacitor issue...

To think I almost actually listened to their note in the box which said CALL US BEFORE BRINGING CARD BACK TO STORE. I spent 2 hours on hold until someone finally picked up...only to be told the card was too new for them to send me one before they received mine. IE I would have been without a card for a couple of weeks.

Thankfully the store just replaced it and good thing they had 3 in stock because 1 of the 3 clearly had a damaged capacitor. I stuck with them (barely) but next time it will be Evga methinks.

c4c
03-28-06, 06:29 PM
I would expect any company to have me ship the defective product before they sent me a replacement...Just seems, I dunno, like a good way not to get cheated.

Anyways, I had an easy time returning my defective AGP 6800 GT. Basically the card had similar issues as the OP - lots of artifacting and some crashes in specific games. No heat issues.

The only real problem was getting somebody on the phone. I had to wait on hold for probably 20 minutes or so. Once I got somebody on the phone, though, they quickly got me an RMA. I shipped the card out 2-day and got a new one about a week from when I shipped mine. Pretty quick service, IMO, and I'm happy I chose them.

Tikiman44
03-28-06, 08:04 PM
Customer service & lifetime warranty......what a joke!!!!:thumbdwn:

I bought 2 x 7800GTX 512mb cards and since day 1 i have had artefacts in games like quake IV & FEAR and the 3d marks. The temperatures were fine

I am no n00b so i obviously tried all the usual........no CPU overclock, different graphics & chipset drivers,....etc etc

still no joy. I tried both cards individually and still got the artefacting.

As a keen overclocker, it is obvious to see that these cards are simply unstable at the factory overclock.

so i contacted customer support, and all they have done is give me the run-around!!
Ignoring the fact that i previoulsy ran a pair of 256mb cards (self overclocked) in the same rig with no problems.........
So far they have blamed the case temp, the PSU, the MOBO drivers, the graphics drivers, the BIOS, and the man on the moon

At no stage have they even come close to suggesting that their cards might be at fault.

My advice. Don't pay the premium for a BFG product....get a cheaper brand and do-it-yourself. I certainly won't again

:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

The BFG 7800 GTX 512 is one of my all time favorite cards. You may want to check the certified SLI PSU list because I believe your power supply is not on it for 512 cards.

I would say it's a power supply issue.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1932957,00.asp

Edit: Please turn the caps lock off when you type next time. Thank you.

Talon
03-28-06, 08:24 PM
Man that's sweet. EVGA offers no such love. My 6800GT (which I had just about a year and half) started artifacting badly. Nothing fixed it. Yah I tried everything. I build PCs and I support PCs for a living. I knew everything the tech guy wanted me to try beforehand. I email them and they reply call us and we will see what we can do. I talk to them on the phone and the literally laughed at me when I explained I was pissed that they weren't going to do anything. I have a first generation Geforce which still works. EVGA is the only nVidia card I have ever bought which has died before the card became completely obsolete. Never again. :thumbdwn:

I'd like to say, I'm on the total opposite of the spectrum.. BFG support so far has been great. My 6800GT mysteriously died on me after about what almost 2 years? I called up tech support, explained to them what happened, and he immediatly gave me an RMA #.....

Shamrock
03-28-06, 10:23 PM
yep, it's your PSU...dont blame BFG because you have an insufficient PSU....My PSU was dying, BFG told me the same thing, that my PSU was dying. I bought a new one and it magically came back to life! But they did go ahead and RMA my card for me. BFG is awesome, with English speaking AMERICANS on the phone!!!

better yet, go read my experience with them.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65388

loafer87gt
03-28-06, 11:11 PM
Welcome to my nightmare. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. You gotta love after replacing my PSU, reinstalling windows, and hours of heaches to try and get my hot running 6800 GT running artifact free the fix was underclocking the card to 330 core from the factory 370.

Dealing with them is like pushing a rope.

AthlonXP1800
03-29-06, 01:01 AM
Holdenb, I am afraid to say BFG wasnt at fault. I looked at your incompleted spec signature, it seem your SLi system do not have enough power for 600W PSU. I checked PSU calculator (http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp), I guess your system consumed nearly 600W and not much of leftover to feed your powerhungry 7800 GTX 512 SLi. If you want to keep your spec the same then you really need to buy a 750W or 800W PSU to do that.

Test to see if your BFG cards wasnt at fault, try disconnected your X-Fi Fata1ity FPS external console box (they consumed 25W) and disconnected all UV lights (some branded UV light consumed 5W for each light).

jAkUp
03-29-06, 01:06 AM
Well, he did say that he tried the cards individually. His powersupply should be fine for at least a single card.

shabby
03-29-06, 07:52 AM
A single 512 7800gtx uses 150 watts under load, i think a 600watt psu can handle one of those cards... dont you think AthlonXP1800?

eva2000
03-29-06, 08:37 AM
does sound like psu read http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=2491 nVidia has separate certified sli rated psus for 7900GTX SLI and 512MB 7800GTX SLI

holdenb
03-29-06, 09:29 AM
Well, he did say that he tried the cards individually. His powersupply should be fine for at least a single card.

As jakup has rightly spotted........ to all those blaming the PSU note I get the same problems running 1 card individually

so it is not the PSU..........................

AthlonXP1800
03-29-06, 09:39 AM
A single 512 7800gtx uses 150 watts under load, i think a 600watt psu can handle one of those cards... dont you think AthlonXP1800?

Yes 600W will be fine for 1 card, with SLi will use about 300W to 400W (http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/285/6/) under load, you will need bigger than 600W PSU to handle it. So without 7800 GTX 512 cards, your system consumed about 302W with overclocked FX 57, when it all add up, you will require 750W PSU for SLi.

eva2000
03-29-06, 10:02 AM
it isn't just about watts but amperage on the 12v rails, notice that nearly all nvidia certified sli psus for 7900GTX SLI are single rail high amped or multi rail with one high amp rated rail at least i.e. 1KW PCP&C has 3rd 12v rail at 36amp which is what SLI feeds off...

i think if a psu had 2x 16-17A 12v rails you could still overload one of them if you had dual core cpu oc'd with one highly clocked 7900GTX or 512MB 7800GTX

tried using PCI-E to 2x molex adaptor instead of psu's PCI-E power connector for 2nd card ? or single card ? do you get same issues ?

holdenb
03-29-06, 12:12 PM
Yes 600W will be fine for 1 card, with SLi will use about 300W to 400W (http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/285/6/) under load, you will need bigger than 600W PSU to handle it. So without 7800 GTX 512 cards, your system consumed about 302W with overclocked FX 57, when it all add up, you will require 750W PSU for SLi.

still not true.......the 7800gtx 512 will draw around the same power as the 7800gtx 256 (particularly if the latter was overclocked) so the difference between the 2 SLI's is not great enough to account for the artefacting...

especially when u consider i have dropped the fx back to stock

DarkOneX
03-29-06, 07:02 PM
My old card, BFG 7800GTX OC, was the same way, I had to clock it down something like 20Mhz on the core and 10Mhz on the mem because artifacting at "stock" overclock speeds. My current eVGA 7900GT is the same way but not as bad, I hafta only clock it down 10Mhz on the core but I can actually overclock 20Mhz or so on the mem with no prob so I don't care as much.

SH0DAN
03-29-06, 08:52 PM
still not true.......the 7800gtx 512 will draw around the same power as the 7800gtx 256 (particularly if the latter was overclocked) so the difference between the 2 SLI's is not great enough to account for the artefacting...

especially when u consider i have dropped the fx back to stock

I have had problems with Enermax powersupplies not giving out enough juice in the past,including the model you are using(600w).I am not saying its your powersupply,but I would lean in that direction given the bad expiriences I have had with Enermax.I do know there RMA policy is not all peaches and creme,this is why I only deal with Pc Power & Cooling.I would put my 425'er up against any 600 watt Enermax or Antec 500/550 or OCZ 470/520...

Shamrock
03-29-06, 10:25 PM
I didnt blame the PSU not having enough wattage, I blame that it could be dying. If it isnt, and you still arent convinced, send them the link to this thread...it's what I did, I even sent screenshots, they whipped up an RMA really quick.

eva2000 is right, 7900GTX's require dual rails

eva2000
03-30-06, 01:23 AM
I didnt blame the PSU not having enough wattage, I blame that it could be dying. If it isnt, and you still arent convinced, send them the link to this thread...it's what I did, I even sent screenshots, they whipped up an RMA really quick.

eva2000 is right, 7900GTX's require dual railswell partly correct it requires dual/multipler +12v rails with adequate amperage on them all... 3x 15amp rails won't help if both PCI-E power connectors are tied into 1x 15amp rail heh... 1x7900GTX can use 10-15amps stock-oc'd on +12v rail so the +12v rail for PCI-E needs to be at least 26-30amps just for the cards not including cpu, and other components...

if you do have more than one +12v rail, try using PCI-E to 2x molex adaptor instead of psu's PCI-E power connector for 2nd card in SLI mode and see if that helps

example from the list i linked to above http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=2491

Dual GeForce 7900 GTX or Dual GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB
FSP Group EPSILON FX600-GLN 600W
FSP Group EPSILON FX700-GLN 700W
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-CoolŪ 850 SLI (850ETX-PFC)
Silverstone ST56ZF 560W
Sparkle Power FSP600-80GLC
Sparkle Power FSP650-80GLC
Sparkle Power FSP550PLG-SLI 550W
sparkle FSP650 psu http://www.sparklepower.com/proPCPS_EPS.html has 4x +12v rails each 15amps i guess each PCI-E connector is listed to 1x 15amp rail

the FSP550 550W version as a single 36amp rail

the FSP Epsilon 700W psu http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/english/1_product/2_detail.asp?mainid=1&fid=98&proid=462 has 4x 15amp rails as well