PDA

View Full Version : Alright 40hrs of gameplay later.. this blows

Pages : [1] 2

Mr. Hunt
03-29-06, 07:31 PM
Not the game... just suddenly I CANNOT load my save game... I have tried multiple saves (all the ones I have, which is 2, auto and quick, because for WHATEVER reason when I hit "Save" and then "New Save" and in the upper left corner it says "Save Completed" or whatever, it didn't actually save it, great work Bethesda)... it starts to load, then about midway, crashes giving me the blah blah blah oblivion.exe blah blah blah. I have tried using the default ini, no mods... nothing works... I REALLY don't want to have to start all over again :(.

General
03-29-06, 07:38 PM
This same error happens in the xbox version of morrowind. I think it has somthing to do with the momory fragmenting. I beat morrowind three times without cheating and each time it would start doing that after so many hours of gameplay. Also as this happens the files begain crashing sooner and sooner so that would point to memory problems. I would try to do a defrag.

evilchris
03-29-06, 07:39 PM
I have vague memories of how to fix this from the Morrowind days. Can't remember tho :(

Mr. Hunt
03-29-06, 07:40 PM
This same error happens in the xbox version of morrowind. I think it has somthing to do with the momory fragmenting. I beat morrowind three times without cheating and each time it would start doing that after so many hours of gameplay. Also as this happens the files begain crashing sooner and sooner so that would point to memory problems. I would try to do a defrag.

Ok thanks... guess I will start defragging tonight right before I head to work... I pray it works because I will hate having to start all over again :(.

UDawg
03-29-06, 07:42 PM
Ok thanks... guess I will start defragging tonight right before I head to work... I pray it works because I will hate having to start all over again :(.
I heard you have to degauss your hard drive.

:D

Clay
03-29-06, 08:32 PM
Have you tried loading your autosave.bak or quicksave.bak file? I haven't tried this or even know if it's possible. But it would make sense that you should be able to backup the .ess versions of those files, then rename the .bak files to .ess and see if one of them will load.

Mr. Hunt
03-29-06, 08:52 PM
Have you tried loading your autosave.bak or quicksave.bak file? I haven't tried this or even know if it's possible. But it would make sense that you should be able to backup the .ess versions of those files, then rename the .bak files to .ess and see if one of them will load.

Just tried it, didn't work :(.

CaptNKILL
03-29-06, 09:37 PM
Just tried it, didn't work :(.
Someone at the official forums fixed this by starting a new game, letting it make an autosave, then going and reloading one of their other save files.

Might be worth a try.

StoNer
03-30-06, 12:43 AM
make your save files read only ;)

Nv40
03-30-06, 02:34 AM
Start all over again.. :)

How about COpy/paste the save games (c/documents.setting...USer..mydoc..mygames..oblivion )folder into another directory. ie.. TEMp . and delete 95% of your original saved games. but not the latest ones ?

NTBlowz
03-30-06, 04:21 AM
Have your load a much earlier game first then load from there? I read that some have success with that method

Mr. Hunt
03-30-06, 07:01 AM
Have your load a much earlier game first then load from there? I read that some have success with that method

Problem is, I saved manually regularly... but apparently they never actually saved... when I go to Load Game, all I see is Quicksave and Autosave... anyway to fix this?

Just got back from work and the defrag was done... fixing to test it.

Mr. Hunt
03-30-06, 07:17 AM
No luck... I really would hate to lose all of my progress... I was sort of wanting to play a different race and class, but I was gonna stick with it until the end, and I have accomplished so much :(.

CaptNKILL
03-30-06, 08:48 AM
You just inspired me to make a backup copy of my saves folder :o

BioHazZarD
03-30-06, 10:05 AM
me too, im only 15 hours in but still no way im gonna do it again thanks Mr.hunt your error is my save :D

CaptNKILL
03-30-06, 10:32 AM
I think I have at least 40 hours in now... maybe even 45. I dont even know HOW I managed that. It doesnt even feel like I have played it that much.

What an addicting game :o

Mr. Hunt
03-30-06, 02:48 PM
I think I have at least 40 hours in now... maybe even 45. I dont even know HOW I managed that. It doesnt even feel like I have played it that much.

What an addicting game :o

Same here...

But I just tried starting a new game (just to check if I could)... and I couldn't...it seems something else is wrong here...

CaptNKILL
03-30-06, 02:57 PM
Same here...

But I just tried starting a new game (just to check if I could)... and I couldn't...it seems something else is wrong here...
Thats really strange.

Id back up the saves and do a reinstall... maybe they are fine and the game just got borked for some reason.

Have you tried any other games?

Mr. Hunt
03-30-06, 03:09 PM
Thats really strange.

Id back up the saves and do a reinstall... maybe they are fine and the game just got borked for some reason.

Have you tried any other games?

Yeah I am in the process right now...

And yes, Guild Wars is running perfect.

Before I do all of this though, can somebody explain to me why I can't make a manual save? It is pretty annoying not being able to have a hard save just for when this crap happens since Bethesda can't code stuff properly it seems.

CaptNKILL
03-30-06, 03:29 PM
I have no idea why you wouldnt be able to save... this is the first Ive ever heard of this kind of thing since Bladerunner (1997 game). It wouldnt save games on NTFS partitions without some extra work.

Maybe try a defrag and a thorough disk scan (itl do it after a reboot).

Deffinitely do a reinstall though.

Other than that, Im not sure... check around the official forums.

Tygerwoody
03-30-06, 03:30 PM
Yeah I am in the process right now...

And yes, Guild Wars is running perfect.

Before I do all of this though, can somebody explain to me why I can't make a manual save? It is pretty annoying not being able to have a hard save just for when this crap happens since Bethesda can't code stuff properly it seems.
have you tried routine stuff? Clean out temps, spyware, windows updates?

Mr. Hunt
03-30-06, 03:34 PM
have you tried routine stuff? Clean out temps, spyware, windows updates?

Yes and no... I THOUGHT I did... but then one routine thing I didn't do for whatever retarded reason is the one thing that fixed the issue. A reboot lol... I can't believe I skipped that step on the road to trying to fix an issue... but yay... I got my little character back and am on my way to destroy more gates!

Tygerwoody
03-30-06, 03:40 PM
hah.... reboots are the greatest :)

CaptNKILL
03-30-06, 03:42 PM
Yes and no... I THOUGHT I did... but then one routine thing I didn't do for whatever retarded reason is the one thing that fixed the issue. A reboot lol... I can't believe I skipped that step on the road to trying to fix an issue... but yay... I got my little character back and am on my way to destroy more gates!
:rofl

Awesome, glad you got it :D

Mr. Hunt
03-30-06, 03:52 PM
Yeah... I feel like such a moron lol... I can't believe I skipped the most simplest, best fixer-upper known to man... glad it worked though lol.