PDA

View Full Version : What do soul gems do??

Superfly
03-30-06, 06:39 AM
have'nt found a use for them yet?? - if its in the manual just say so and I'll have a read later tonight.

thanks.

Mr. Hunt
03-30-06, 07:11 AM
I think it is in the manual... but you can use them to recharge your enchanted weapons, or to make spells/enchantments at a mages guild (although I haven't found one yet, I think you might need to be in the guild, guess it is time to join :\).

Wylde
03-30-06, 07:36 AM
If you learn a spell called soul trap, you can encase the creature in a field for like 20-40 seconds after which the effect wears off. If you have a proper sized gem you should be able to capture it and recharge your enchanted weapons.

I'm having the problem of finding them at the moment, the only place I know I can get them is in the market, recharging at the mages guild is too expensive.:(

Warwind
03-30-06, 07:36 AM
If you have an empty soul gem in your inventory ("soul level: none"), you can cast "Soul Trap" on an enemy (if you're able to cast it).

If you then kill the enemy before the Soul Trap spell wears off, its soul will be captured in the empty gem, which you can then use to recharge magical items.

Superfly
03-30-06, 08:17 AM
cool - thanks for the tips - I've got loads of empty ones!!! - need to get a soul trap spell next.

jolle
03-30-06, 08:48 AM
Soul Trap requires 25 Mysticism, I worked that up from 5 in no time at all by casting Minor Detect Life or somesuch..

Gnu_Raiz
03-30-06, 10:31 AM
If you have an empty soul gem in your inventory ("soul level: none"), you can cast "Soul Trap" on an enemy (if you're able to cast it).

If you then kill the enemy before the Soul Trap spell wears off, its soul will be captured in the empty gem, which you can then use to recharge magical items.

That also depends on the size of the gem, soul gems hold certain sizes, so you will want a lot of different sizes. Unless you can find a reuseable soul gem;)

Gnu_Raiz

Warwind
03-30-06, 10:45 AM
Yep, what he said! :)

Mmmmmmm, reusable... :D

whua
03-30-06, 06:03 PM
Where can you find the re-usable soul gems?

killahsin
03-30-06, 06:09 PM
they arent called soul gems, the resuable ones.

Ancient
03-30-06, 06:11 PM
Aren't soul gems used to enchant a weapon, not recharge them? Or has that changed from Morrowind?

There is a specific stone in Oblivion (forgot the name) you can use to recharge an enchanted item.

killahsin
03-30-06, 06:16 PM
u can recharge and create with soul stones, and they are slightly easier to get a hold of this time around. Only slightly

Mr. Hunt
03-30-06, 06:38 PM
Where can you find the re-usable soul gems?

As far as I know, there is just one (although I have heard rumors of a mysterious other one, I can't say if it is reusable or not)... it is the Azuras Star.

Rytr
03-30-06, 07:13 PM
The sword 'Umbra' is in the game. Using it traps the souls for you if it's like the Umbra in Morrowind.

Subtestube
03-30-06, 07:19 PM
To use a soul gem to enchant items you need to go to the Chironasium (I think - it's either that building or one on either side of it) at the Arcane University in the Imperial City. You've got to have actually been admitted to the guild (via recommendations). I'm not sure if you need a specific rank, as I only found it once I was an Evoker. "It" is a thing called the enchanting alter, and looks like a music stand. There are two of 'em on the bottom floor.

de><ta
03-31-06, 06:21 AM
Another hint, do the mages guild quest. Half way through the quest they teach you how to create black soul gems that capture human souls too!

CaptNKILL
03-31-06, 08:47 AM
Another hint, do the mages guild quest. Half way through the quest they teach you how to create black soul gems that capture human souls too!
Oh that sounds freaking sweet :D

Does that work on Vampires? And if so, are they more powerful? Or maybe you can do this with normal soul gems... I've never even done soul trap. :o

de><ta
03-31-06, 10:14 AM
The human souls are rather weak. Only worth 1600 (grand level). I was hoping that they'd be worth atleast 3000+ so that I can make some better enchanted weapons. Going to see if I can figure out how to modify this.

The black soulgems captures all the souls in the game. So vampires are included too I guess.

bradlee
03-31-06, 10:57 AM
just steal one and go to chorrl and get the spell bounding use it to get your conjuration up then get a better spell at level 25 and keep capturing your own beast

Paradoxy
03-31-06, 11:00 AM
Where can you find soul gems?
I have found some in caves but all of them are sold now.

Now i need five to get cured from the vampire thingy.